2010 CTS AWD Gas Mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 2010 CTS AWD Gas Mileage in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Why don't we seek an Atty for a class action suit against GM for posting erroneous gas mileage? I bought ...
    George R Shadie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2010 CTS AWD Gas Mileage

Why don't we seek an Atty for a class action suit against GM for posting erroneous gas mileage? I bought this car BECAUZ 27 highway was posted. I can't get above 21 That's 30% off! I have never owned a car (at least 30, including 5 caddies) that didn't get the posted. I believe it was a known lie to sell cars! I have a 2011 Jag XJ-8L that can get 30 mpg highway it gets 23 around town. It is heavier bigger and does 0-60 under 6seconds!
    Elwoodab likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    27 is if you drive only on highway,and highway only,that's flat.

Combined(highway-city) mpg for Cadillac cts is 21.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: 2010 CTS AWD Gas Mileage

These estimates are merely that. The way those numbers are figured is regulated by the Gov't and it is not "fudged". They are figured at a straight 55 mph under ideal conditions (downhill with the wind at your back).

Don't waste your time or your money.

dan87951 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Too many cars to list...

Mine gets close to that on the highway.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

One thing I'd add here is this: Are you calculating your gas mileage manually, or are you relying on what the trip computer displays on the dash?

It took me a while to realize that the display showing your average fuel economy is displaying a number averaged out over the whole time you've driven the car before resetting it. (So if you never held down a button on the dash to clear it back to 0, it may be displaying a "lifetime average" spanning years of driving!) This is significant because if you're like me, I did a lot of combined highway and stop and go, around town driving, which pretty firmly pinned the average mileage display at around 21-21.5 MPG.

I took a road trip from Missouri to Maryland and it never really changed the display much. Finally, I realized what was going on and reset it when I stopped for gas, and by the time I made it home from Maryland again? It was displaying around 28-29MPG.

broomen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS AWD 2013

Hi George, I completely agree with you and was just looking, if there is a class action suit out already. I have the exact same case and I have no doubt that the milage posted for the car is false. Reason for this is, that I am driving two cars in the same location, same weather and same driving style. While the CTS doesn't come close to its claimed gas milage, the other has always been reasonably on track. I have tested both against one another, city and highway, resetting the board computer just before the test, with matching average speed posted on their computers.

The 2013 CTS should get 18 city, 26 highway and 21mpg average. I get 12 city, 21 highway and 16 average.
    The 2007 XC90 Volvo should get 15 city, 21 highway and 16mpg average. I get 12 city, 21-22 highway and 16-17 average.

If the testing method the EPA uses hasn't changed between 2006 and now, both cars should vary similarly from their EPS's estimates, if driven and treated in the same way. But this is definitely not the case with my cars. I had Cadillac check the car after it had plenty of time to be driven in. They found nothing wrong with it and send me home with a printout explaining what could cause the differences.

This would have been sufficient, if I didn't know that none of the reasons mentioned on the printout, caused my Volvo to underperform.

Not that it matters in this comparison, but the Volvo also has 50 more horse power, is a V8 versus the V6 CTS, almost 6 years older and a very heavy SUV versus a station wagon.

If anybody knows about any action in this case, please let me know.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by George R Shadie View Post
    Why don't we seek an Atty for a class action suit against GM for posting erroneous gas mileage? I bought this car BECAUZ 27 highway was posted. I can't get above 21 That's 30% off! I have never owned a car (at least 30, including 5 caddies) that didn't get the posted. I believe it was a known lie to sell cars! I have a 2011 Jag XJ-8L that can get 30 mpg highway it gets 23 around town. It is heavier bigger and does 0-60 under 6seconds!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by broomen
    Hi George, I completely agree with you and was just looking, if there is a class action suit out already. I have the exact same case and I have no doubt that the milage posted for the car is false. Reason for this is, that I am driving two cars in the same location, same weather and same driving style. While the CTS doesn't come close to its claimed gas milage, the other has always been reasonably on track. I have tested both against one another, city and highway, resetting the board computer just before the test, with matching average speed posted on their computers.

The 2013 CTS should get 18 city, 26 highway and 21mpg average. I get 12 city, 21 highway and 16 average.
    The 2007 XC90 Volvo should get 15 city, 21 highway and 16mpg average. I get 12 city, 21-22 highway and 16-17 average.

If the testing method the EPA uses hasn't changed between 2006 and now, both cars should vary similarly from their EPS's estimates, if driven and treated in the same way. But this is definitely not the case with my cars. I had Cadillac check the car after it had plenty of time to be driven in. They found nothing wrong with it and send me home with a printout explaining what could cause the differences.

This would have been sufficient, if I didn't know that none of the reasons mentioned on the printout, caused my Volvo to underperform.

Not that it matters in this comparison, but the Volvo also has 50 more horse power, is a V8 versus the V6 CTS, almost 6 years older and a very heavy SUV versus a station wagon.

If anybody knows about any action in this case, please let me know.

Thank you.
    The lifetime average on my 2012 AWD CTS coupe is 22 mpg. On pure highway runs I have gotten close to 27 mpg. And have never gone below 20.

My experience with AWD cars is that they are punishing in stop and go driving. My last car 2006 Acura RL had SH-AWD and I would get as low as 17mpg in city driving and got 27 mpg on highway cruises. The CTS is comparable.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    The lifetime average on my 2012 AWD CTS coupe is 22 mpg. On pure highway runs I have gotten close to 27 mpg. And have never gone below 20.

My experience with AWD cars is that they are punishing in stop and go driving. My last car 2006 Acura RL had SH-AWD and I would get as low as 17mpg in city driving and got 27 mpg on highway cruises. The CTS is comparable.
    Broomen,

First, welcome to the Cadillac Enthusiasts Forum!

As gohawks63 has noted, these are estimates by the EPA and all auto manufacturers comply to the same rules. The MPG numbers cited here are what you will get IF you drive according the EPA rules, not your rules. Driving on the interstate using cruise control in a FLAT terrain, you will get 27 MPG if driving under 65 MPH. Today's auto transmissions are made to speed your transmission to the highest gear in the fastest time.

Any hill, incline or passing maneuver will rapidly decrease your MPG. Wind, tire air pressure setting, incorrect front end alignment and many other factors will influence your MPG.

Did you notice that you were replying to a thread that was almost 11 months old? 'George' has only made 1 post and he most likely is gone from here and won't be responding. So some searching on the forum and you will see what real world MPG is for a CTS4. Did you buy ONLY for MPG?

Good luck and welcome to the Cadillac Enthusiasts Forum.

Marv

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix

It's not a matter of JUST buying for MPG. It's a matter of getting what you paid for, what's been advertised. Seems for the most part the CTS's are running as they should, or as advertised, but there seems to be some that are losing MPG for one reason or another. I'm not interested in a lawsuit at all, but I sure would like to find out why mine isn't running as efficiently as she should. Finally got an average of 17.1 for the tank last time. First time above 15 since I've owned her :/. Getting 13 city with the most tender of foot.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post
    It's a matter of getting what you paid for, what's been advertised.
    The mpg rating isn't an advertisement, it's simply a report of what the car tested when submitted to EPA. And it varies by individual vehicle; my 2009 AWD DI gets pretty close to its rating.

If you want to know what getting hosed feels like, try buying a Ford hybrid. Those engines don't get anywhere near their test numbers in the real world. Off by 30% or more, every time.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Depending on how city is defined, 13 doesn't sound bad for. A 4200 lb car. I never got much above 10 with a 5000 lb truck. Automatics suck for mileage. Below 55 mph weight is one of the biggest factors for mileage and these cars are huge and heavy. Consider my motorcycle gets 30 or less city and it weighs 500 lbs e has a true manual transmission and plenty of power.

Lighter and very low gears which kills highway mileage are key to good mileage in city.

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix

When it starts snowing out I plan on dropping mine off to get it checked out. I wonder if the 20's that are about to go on are going to affect it even more?

waunakee wayne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 cts-4

I get 21.3 average with all my mod's and tuned. I can't get my foot out of it . My CTS -4 loves to go.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I think the guys looking for the class action suit (single post for each of them) would use less fuel if they weren't chasing ambulances at such a high speed...

I'm down to 11.2 l/100 now and almost done my first tank, I will hand calc when I fill it, I get stuck in traffic a lot so not sure how bang on it will be on the DIC.

I also notice my wife can out mile me all day long, the driver has much to do with the mileage IMO

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.