Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2010 CTS AWD Gas Mileage

14K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  SC2150 
#1 ·
Why don't we seek an Atty for a class action suit against GM for posting erroneous gas mileage? I bought this car BECAUZ 27 highway was posted. I can't get above 21 That's 30% off! I have never owned a car (at least 30, including 5 caddies) that didn't get the posted. I believe it was a known lie to sell cars! I have a 2011 Jag XJ-8L that can get 30 mpg highway it gets 23 around town. It is heavier bigger and does 0-60 under 6seconds!

#3 ·
These estimates are merely that. The way those numbers are figured is regulated by the Gov't and it is not "fudged". They are figured at a straight 55 mph under ideal conditions (downhill with the wind at your back).

Don't waste your time or your money.

#5 ·
One thing I'd add here is this: Are you calculating your gas mileage manually, or are you relying on what the trip computer displays on the dash?

It took me a while to realize that the display showing your average fuel economy is displaying a number averaged out over the whole time you've driven the car before resetting it. (So if you never held down a button on the dash to clear it back to 0, it may be displaying a "lifetime average" spanning years of driving!) This is significant because if you're like me, I did a lot of combined highway and stop and go, around town driving, which pretty firmly pinned the average mileage display at around 21-21.5 MPG.

I took a road trip from Missouri to Maryland and it never really changed the display much. Finally, I realized what was going on and reset it when I stopped for gas, and by the time I made it home from Maryland again? It was displaying around 28-29MPG.

#6 ·
Hi George, I completely agree with you and was just looking, if there is a class action suit out already. I have the exact same case and I have no doubt that the milage posted for the car is false. Reason for this is, that I am driving two cars in the same location, same weather and same driving style. While the CTS doesn't come close to its claimed gas milage, the other has always been reasonably on track. I have tested both against one another, city and highway, resetting the board computer just before the test, with matching average speed posted on their computers.

The 2013 CTS should get 18 city, 26 highway and 21mpg average. I get 12 city, 21 highway and 16 average.
The 2007 XC90 Volvo should get 15 city, 21 highway and 16mpg average. I get 12 city, 21-22 highway and 16-17 average.

If the testing method the EPA uses hasn't changed between 2006 and now, both cars should vary similarly from their EPS's estimates, if driven and treated in the same way. But this is definitely not the case with my cars. I had Cadillac check the car after it had plenty of time to be driven in. They found nothing wrong with it and send me home with a printout explaining what could cause the differences.

This would have been sufficient, if I didn't know that none of the reasons mentioned on the printout, caused my Volvo to underperform.

Not that it matters in this comparison, but the Volvo also has 50 more horse power, is a V8 versus the V6 CTS, almost 6 years older and a very heavy SUV versus a station wagon.

If anybody knows about any action in this case, please let me know.

Thank you.

#7 ·
broomen said:
Hi George, I completely agree with you and was just looking, if there is a class action suit out already. I have the exact same case and I have no doubt that the milage posted for the car is false. Reason for this is, that I am driving two cars in the same location, same weather and same driving style. While the CTS doesn't come close to its claimed gas milage, the other has always been reasonably on track. I have tested both against one another, city and highway, resetting the board computer just before the test, with matching average speed posted on their computers.

The 2013 CTS should get 18 city, 26 highway and 21mpg average. I get 12 city, 21 highway and 16 average.
The 2007 XC90 Volvo should get 15 city, 21 highway and 16mpg average. I get 12 city, 21-22 highway and 16-17 average.

If the testing method the EPA uses hasn't changed between 2006 and now, both cars should vary similarly from their EPS's estimates, if driven and treated in the same way. But this is definitely not the case with my cars. I had Cadillac check the car after it had plenty of time to be driven in. They found nothing wrong with it and send me home with a printout explaining what could cause the differences.

This would have been sufficient, if I didn't know that none of the reasons mentioned on the printout, caused my Volvo to underperform.

Not that it matters in this comparison, but the Volvo also has 50 more horse power, is a V8 versus the V6 CTS, almost 6 years older and a very heavy SUV versus a station wagon.

If anybody knows about any action in this case, please let me know.

Thank you.
The lifetime average on my 2012 AWD CTS coupe is 22 mpg. On pure highway runs I have gotten close to 27 mpg. And have never gone below 20.

My experience with AWD cars is that they are punishing in stop and go driving. My last car 2006 Acura RL had SH-AWD and I would get as low as 17mpg in city driving and got 27 mpg on highway cruises. The CTS is comparable.

#8 ·
Broomen,

First, welcome to the Cadillac Enthusiasts Forum!

As gohawks63 has noted, these are estimates by the EPA and all auto manufacturers comply to the same rules. The MPG numbers cited here are what you will get IF you drive according the EPA rules, not your rules. Driving on the interstate using cruise control in a FLAT terrain, you will get 27 MPG if driving under 65 MPH. Today's auto transmissions are made to speed your transmission to the highest gear in the fastest time.

Any hill, incline or passing maneuver will rapidly decrease your MPG. Wind, tire air pressure setting, incorrect front end alignment and many other factors will influence your MPG.

Did you notice that you were replying to a thread that was almost 11 months old? 'George' has only made 1 post and he most likely is gone from here and won't be responding. So some searching on the forum and you will see what real world MPG is for a CTS4. Did you buy ONLY for MPG?

Good luck and welcome to the Cadillac Enthusiasts Forum.

Marv

#9 ·
It's not a matter of JUST buying for MPG. It's a matter of getting what you paid for, what's been advertised. Seems for the most part the CTS's are running as they should, or as advertised, but there seems to be some that are losing MPG for one reason or another. I'm not interested in a lawsuit at all, but I sure would like to find out why mine isn't running as efficiently as she should. Finally got an average of 17.1 for the tank last time. First time above 15 since I've owned her :/. Getting 13 city with the most tender of foot.

#10 ·
It's a matter of getting what you paid for, what's been advertised.
The mpg rating isn't an advertisement, it's simply a report of what the car tested when submitted to EPA. And it varies by individual vehicle; my 2009 AWD DI gets pretty close to its rating.

If you want to know what getting hosed feels like, try buying a Ford hybrid. Those engines don't get anywhere near their test numbers in the real world. Off by 30% or more, every time.

#11 ·
Depending on how city is defined, 13 doesn't sound bad for. A 4200 lb car. I never got much above 10 with a 5000 lb truck. Automatics suck for mileage. Below 55 mph weight is one of the biggest factors for mileage and these cars are huge and heavy. Consider my motorcycle gets 30 or less city and it weighs 500 lbs e has a true manual transmission and plenty of power.

Lighter and very low gears which kills highway mileage are key to good mileage in city.

#15 ·
I think the guys looking for the class action suit (single post for each of them) would use less fuel if they weren't chasing ambulances at such a high speed...

I'm down to 11.2 l/100 now and almost done my first tank, I will hand calc when I fill it, I get stuck in traffic a lot so not sure how bang on it will be on the DIC.

I also notice my wife can out mile me all day long, the driver has much to do with the mileage IMO

#16 ·
As for mileage I drive between 55 & 60k miles per year with 80-85% highway. Every car I have owned from Acura to BMW AWD I have always been able to at least meet the highway mileage for my average mileage. The calculations being done manually at each fillup with the odometer verified as well. I had quite a surprise when instead of 26 MPG Highway when I am solely on the highway becomes 21.5 to 22 mpg is somewhat disappointing. This was driving with cruise and a veritable egg between my foot and the accelerator. Vehicle is a 2010 AWD CTS wagon 3.6 Premium with 23.5 K miles bought from a Caddy dealer as a certified car. Before I have a dealer check the car I would like to know if this MPG is typical or atypical.

Thanks,
Dave

#17 ·
I run about 85% freeway and have been averaging 23 give or take. I always zero out the odo and the avg mpg screens as well as check it with the pump gal/odo. I've been surprised at how reasonably accurate the avg screen has been. I always use cruise and run about 7-8 mph over the posted limit

BTW this is on reg 87 gas

#20 ·
I'm back to 13 god damn it. One time...just once did it get 18 combined. And that was right after I had the 20's put on. Absolute only thing pissing me off about the car. Test drove a V coupe today, the dealership demo, with 400 miles and the mule had 13.5mpg avg on the dash. Really really chapped my hide.

#23 ·
Yes, MPG is all over the place.

There are MANY criteria that affect MPG. Tire pressure, tire type, brake dragging, air filter cleanliness, oil cleanliness, type of oil, wind, hills, seasonal gas type, ethanol %, weight of your right foot, on and on.

These are fun cars to drive and if you enjoy driving them, you are not going to get the EPA mileage numbers.

When manufacturers test for mileage, they are using professional drivers that are driving for mileage, not enjoyment.

Driven conservatively, not for enjoyment, I get 24+ on highway trips and average 22 mixed driving. It can be done, you just need to work at it.

Marv

#28 ·
I understand driving style affects mileage, but I've never been this far off. Here's hoping that it will creep up with time.

And I would definitely take you up on it SC1250 if I weren't 2 days driving away. You ever think of moving the shop to MD? You'd have one customer, which is a start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.