Transfer case oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Transfer case oil in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Any recommendations for what oil to use in the transfer case on an 08 CTS4 DI??...
    Badab!nG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Transfer case oil

Any recommendations for what oil to use in the transfer case on an 08 CTS4 DI??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Transfer case oil

Rear Drive Module and Transfer Case
    (All-Wheel Drive) Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 88861950, in Canada 88861951).

From the 2010 Owners Manual. It's in there, easy to find.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Amsoil does not have a fluid that they say is a suitable substitute which leads me to believe the only place to get the right fluid is the dealer. Until very recently, I had to get the T-case fluid for our Grand Cherokee (NV247) at the Jeep dealer as well. I would not recommend using any fluid that is not specifically made for your T-case. With the complicated T-cases these days, using the wrong fluid will probably impair its ability to transfer the right amount of power to the rear/front wheels.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Amsoil does not have a fluid that they say is a suitable substitute which leads me to believe the only place to get the right fluid is the dealer. Until very recently, I had to get the T-case fluid for our Grand Cherokee (NV247) at the Jeep dealer as well. I would not recommend using any fluid that is not specifically made for your T-case. With the complicated T-cases these days, using the wrong fluid will probably impair its ability to transfer the right amount of power to the rear/front wheels.
    ...and might void your warranty.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The front/rear power split is determined by the ratio of the planetary gears in the center differential gear set in the transfer case and does not vary.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Everything I've read says that the T-case in our cars is a torque vectoring case with a viscous coupling. Meaning it can vary the amount of power sent to the front wheels vs the rear wheels. The "gear ratio" better be 1:1 front to rear or the font and rear wheels won't spin the same speed. It's not supposed to be just an open center differential.

Badab!nG is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did get my t-case oil from the dealer. After not finding a suitable Amsoil substitute.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.