Catch Can Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Catch Can Install in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I finally got my PCV catch can installed last weekend and here's a few pics of the install. I took ...
    ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

Catch Can Install

I finally got my PCV catch can installed last weekend and here's a few pics of the install. I took my time and the whole install probably took about an hour and change after trying a few different approaches for routing the hoses and mounting the can.

Instead of cutting the stock PCV hose in two places and ditching the extra piece I just cut the hose in one place and used the supplied hoses to route into the can. The attached pics show where I routed the hoses and installed the can. The engine cover isn't a perfect fit with the can in place but after some minor trimming the fit is clean enough that i'll probably just leave it as it is.

To install the breather kit just pull the hose that connects the air tube to the driver's side valve cover and plug both holes that are left behind. I originally wanted to keep the original hose intact so I could go back to stock anytime, but I ended up just cutting the end off the stock hose then using one of the supplied plugs to make a cork that pushes into the air tube. That way when I upgrade the intake this same plug will connect to the aftermarket tube. The other plug supplied is a nice tight fit on the valve cover inlet. Then just replace the stock oil cap with the breather cap and you're all set.

Here's a few pics:

This one is of the catch can without the engine cover on. I ended up routing the inlet hose to the right of the outlet hose before putting the cover back on.

A shot of the hoses routing over the passenger valve cover:

Same shot from the passenger side:

The plug on the air tube from the breather kit:

Plug on the drivers side valve cover:

And the final install with the catch can in place, the cover on and the breather oil cap installed:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Catch Can Install

Fail on the pics but you can copy/paste the http links to see them!

EDIT: Scratch that

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Excelent job with not cutting the OEM lines.

Did you remove the plenum cover and clean the existing oil out?

Keep us posted on the results.

I didn't think to do that but it would have been a good idea. Too bad because I had the time. I did pull off the throttle body and clean in there again.

The CNC TB went on only about 2000kms ago and I was still greeted with oil when I pulled it off. Seems this motor likes oil about as much as the tranny hates first gear!

Planning to empty the can in a couple of weeks and i'm real curious to see how much oil comes out. Betting it'll be surprising.

How do you like the TB?

Real happy with it and still surprised that such a quick and simple mod made such a difference! Now that the computer has adjusted i'm seeing a slight increase in fuel economy and more importantly the around-town driveability of the car is hugely improved. The car actually accelerates up slight hills without needing a downshift. Yes, it accelerates slowly, but at least it accelerates without the eternal wait for a downshift

jbelot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Hey SC2150,

I am ordering the catch can and breather on Monday. I have the 09 CTS 4, will the fit be similar? If anyone has another way and pics it would be great to see alternative solutions to this install.

Cheers

Pretty sure the fit would be identical (or really, really close) between a 2009 and a 2011. I also remember seeing a few other pics of the catch can install posted here so if you do a search you'll probably turn up some other approaches.
    jbelot and jbelot like this.

jbelot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Thanks,

Your install looks good, clean and easy. The mounting of the can looks critical. Ant issues with the motor cover?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

ncscons: Whose catch can did you end up using?

jbelot: I have some other installation details if you need them. PM me if interested.

The main difference with the Ly7 is there will be a vacuum barb on both the outer edges of the IM and they run together to the valve cover evac valve.

Rest is the same principal.

I used the RX catch can from SC250. Got it with their throttle body and the TB is something that's easy to recommend if you don't have it on yet. It's the easiest install you'll ever do and the difference still surprises me more than 2500 kms later.

The engine cover didn't fit perfectly after putting the can on (doesn't push all the way down onto the pin). In order to get a 'fine' fit I trimmed the cover a tiny bit and pushed the catch can as far back as I could on the mount. If I revisit it i'll probably try extending a hole in the bracket so it squeezes in closer to the stud and trim a little more of the cover. There was no point in trimming more with the install I did because the catch can valves were already hitting the bottom of the cover.

Overall for the price and time i'm 100% satisfied with both and would do it again.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Thanks.

I just drained the catch-can after about 800 kms just to check how much oil it was accumulating and after just 30 seconds of draining about a teaspoon of oil came out. That's after only 800 kms so i'd bet after a full oil change cycle i'll be seeing a frightening amount of oil being grabbed by the can.

Real happy not to have my intake sucking in that oil anymore. Makes me feel much better as I accumulate mileage on the car!!

pote87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

well done, thanks for the pics and input! I am thinking about getting the rx can for my 08 cts4. where did you get your TB?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.