LFX owners, final testing results and product release.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, LFX owners, final testing results and product release. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; It has been 3 long months of the LFX world waiting for the fianl testing to be completed and the ...
    SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

LFX owners, final testing results and product release.

It has been 3 long months of the LFX world waiting for the fianl testing to be completed and the CNC tweaks to be finished so the VMax CNC ported throttle body can be released.

We saw 2 months ago with the intial testing that the gains and off idle throttle response were exceeding the LLT version, but the final pattern has taken all this time to be perfected and here are the before and after dyno results.

This is on a bone stock car, with only a cold air intake. No tune, no exhaust, just the swap.

There were 3 runs done prior (not using the runs from 3 months ago as the weather conditions have changed drastically here in FL), and 3 runns after, then the same temps and DA conditions were set as a base and back to before and after runs.

Mike Norris in Indianapolis will be the next shop to test on a different stock LFX car, different elevation, and different dyno. Then out to JDP motorsports in Utah as a 3rd to get as much of a differance in the climate and elevation the country has to offer.

Here is the finished product (this is NOT interchangable with a LLT, only the LFX).

And the dyno graph done at Kesatie Motorsports in Sarasota, FL.

While peak gains are impressive with a solid 9 rwhp, and 5 rwtq, between 1200 & 2400 RPM on the street driveability tests the dead spot is completely eliminated and we saw over 20 rwtq from the hit and that is where this thing shines.

The car it was tested on is an auto trans, and it can smoke the tires at will in the testing where before would only do this if power braking to begin the spin.

We still saw a slight amount of timing pulled due to spark knock over 6k RPM, but a tune should address that, and with any mod that increases airflow & velocity, a tune should show even more.

Stay tuned as the other shops and customers recieving these do their own independant testing, but the product is offically released and available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Hi,

Good work,

Just a few questions...

(1) Was the test done with 87 or 92 octane gas?? If 87, would 92 have tamed the knock sensor?

(2) When I had a ported throttle body on my 2004 CTS-V.... The only thing I did not like about it, was the fact that it caused the rpm to stall and hang around 1,800 or so after a quick stab of the gas in neutral.. I didn't like that and was wondering if this one acted the same way.

(3) I also would like to know what brand name of cold air intake you used.. And Could that possibly be some of the blame for the leaness at high rpm and also be lending a hand in triggering the knock sensor?

(4) I would also like to see a dyno run without the CAI installed, just to leave out the possibility of it being the cause of the HP/TRQ gain. Any chance of this happening?

Thank you.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: LFX owners, final testing results and product release.

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Hi,

Good work,

Just a few questions...

(1) Was the test done with 87 or 92 octane gas?? If 87, would 92 have tamed the knock sensor?

93 Shell. But yes, these motors run fine on 87, but do a log and see the timing pulled. 92-93 and these motors shine.
    (2) When I had a ported throttle body on my 2004 CTS-V.... The only thing I did not like about it, was the fact that it caused the rpm to stall and hang around 1,800 or so after a quick stab of the gas in neutral.. I didn't like that and was wondering if this one acted the same way.

Very common issue with any hand porting as you are changing blade fit and the transition as it opens from idle. No hand porting can be done exactley the same each time. The other issue, rarely do we see a hand ported TB make power gains. They do improve off idle response, which is a plus, but nothing consistant between them....and the biggest issue with hand proting as all I see the porter polishes the throat to a mirror finish, and this causes a ton of surface tension/friction so the air along the sides moves slower than the center disrpting the velocity. In the old days (60's/70's and this dates me) we spent hours polishing our head and intake porting thinking the smoother, the better....well wet=flow benches and to days ultra high speed video shows how much that hurt power, so think of a golf ball...they fly 30-50% further than a smooth ball due to the dimples. Today all CNC head porting leaves the cuts and ridges to break up this surface friction to aid in velocity. Flow cant make power w/out velocity.

Rottler, the CNC machine manufaturer many see in engine machine shops recently patented their program that cuts these more precise patterns in head and intake ports and runners, and myth busters did the tests on the ford taruses a few years back to show the effects on fuel economy. NASCAR teams are experimenting with a "dimpled wrap", but I expect the rules to not allow it as the advantage is huge as far as reducing drag.

The VMax is the only CNC patteren ported TB in the world, and the design is protected as well.

(3) I also would like to know what brand name of cold air intake you used.. And Could that possibly be some of the blame for the leaness at high rpm and also be lending a hand in triggering the knock sensor?
    Yes, I assume as much as the test cars are not tuned. This had cold air inductions u nit on it, but we did testing on stock airbox and the gaisn were repeated, just slightly lower #'s both base and VMax.

(4) I would also like to see a dyno run without the CAI installed, just to leave out the possibility of it being the cause of the HP/TRQ gain. Any chance of this happening?

Answered above. We did this with the LLT both stock airbox and an injen.....made more power with the injen, but no difference in the gains between base &VMax.

Thank you.
    Excellent questions. These are what help members understand

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.