DIFFERENCE IN FE1 and FE2 Suspensions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, DIFFERENCE IN FE1 and FE2 Suspensions in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Can someone list by PART NUMBER the differences between the two suspensions. We ran two VINs at the dealership, one ...
    Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

DIFFERENCE IN FE1 and FE2 Suspensions

Can someone list by PART NUMBER the differences between the two suspensions. We ran two VINs at the dealership, one a FE1 and the other an FE2 suspension package. Guess what? The part numbers came back the same for both as far as the shocks, springs, struts and sway bars. So what are the actual part differences. I want to upgrade my FE1 to an FE2 but I need specific part numbers. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

underpsi68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: DIFFERENCE IN FE1 and FE2 Suspensions

Tires and rims and the awd, and I think the rear sway bar on rwd.

Quote Originally Posted by underpsi68 View Post
    Tires and rims and the awd, and I think the rear sway bar on rwd.
    Thats exactly what I thought. So where did the CTS "Expert Reviewers" say the car was stiffer with the FE2? If all the suspension components are the same, I doubt that the 18" rims increase the suspension stiffness. At that rate, just increase the air in the tires by a couple of psi. in the 17" wheels.

underpsi68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

The shorter side walls will definitely make for a stiffer ride with better handling. Adding air to the 17s won't compare. I have the 18s and the ride is definitely on the firm side. I like it and the handling. I would like to take a ride in Cts with 19s to see how it compares.

Well, here is the real kicker. If the only difference is the rim size, that to me is false marketing on the part of Cadillac. In their brouches they refer to the FE2 as a "Sport Suspension" vs. "Luxury Ride" . Sounds like really BS to me.

Gallego64 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4 3.6L DFI

Hi! I'm new to this EXCELLENT FORUM!!! and am 1st time owner of a 2008 Cadillac CTS-4 with the 3.6L engine, bought used with 60K miles. I adore the car!!! I just upgraded the 17" wheels to the 2012 19" Cadillac CTS OEM Wheels (I describe them as 7 'Double Spoke' rims vs. the 5 'Double Spoke' on the CTS-V).

I now want to upgrade the brake calipers (largest feasible) and rotors (slotted & cross drilled). Cadillac Customer Service told me that my car has the FE1 Suspension, which does --not-- include the larger J55 Calipers and Rotters. Could this be one of the differences between the FE1 and FE2 Suspensions? Maybe the ABS Braking System on the FE2 is also different -- better/more powerful?

I sincerely look forward to learning more from the 'experts' on the forum.

Maybe someone can help me figure out how/where I can obtain the largest calipers & rotors for my 2008 CTS-4. I'm willing to spend the money to change spindles and other parts; should I be looking at CTS-V parts?

Yes, it would be easier to sell my car and buy a 'better/newer' CTS, but I am very attached to this car.

Thanks for your time and consideration! Keep up the great dialogs!!!

UPDATE - FE2 Performance suspension included stiffer struts/shocks, bigger sway bars, larger brakes, a different rack on the steering ( Different steering ratio) (I don't know if it had a different orafice on the power steering pump or not) and 18" wheels. Also the performance suspension had the air duct work to cool the disc brakes. (I think both front and rear)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.