Mace Engineering Intake Manifold Insulator + Installation 3.6 LYT
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Mace Engineering Intake Manifold Insulator + Installation 3.6 LYT in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I bought the Mace Engineering intake manifold insulator because the Black Ice insulator won't work with the LYT engines as ...
    grsychckn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L 6-Speed

Wink Mace Engineering Intake Manifold Insulator + Installation 3.6 LYT

I bought the Mace Engineering intake manifold insulator because the Black Ice insulator won't work with the LYT engines as the fuel rail divides the LIM right down the middle.

We'll start with what came from Mace:

Pictures of the Engine bay before the install:

Everything disconnected before removing intake (remove the strut tower brace first):

LIM shot:

Oil catch can is on the way (this is at 37k):

Insulator test fit:

If you can, use something for the gasket seal that dries a little faster and is less messy than the included Blue RTV. I used a Spray Copper Gasket Sealer:

Clean both the intake and LIM with brake cleaner or alcohol so the sealer will stick to the metal. I removed the stock gaskets before installing.
    After two coats of the gasket sealer (5 minutes between), place the insulators on the LIM:

Tighten down the intake with the new bolts included to 17ft*lbs (if using the blue RTV: hand tighten, wait an hour, then tighten to spec)
    Install everything back and tighten down the Strut Tower to approximately 56ft*lbs

I had to install some washers on the engine cover mount to raise it up a bit:

I haven't driven the car enough to notice a difference. I have only had the car for a week so I won't be the best spokesperson for the product in terms of performance gain. Mace Engineering's website has dyno results posted for anyone to view.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

Re: Mace Engineering Intake Manifold Insulator + Installation 3.6 LYT

Good write-up!

The catch can is like tying your shoes, compared to the spacer install. Looks like you know what you're doing, so I'll spare you the details. But it's very easy. I mounted mine on that same engine cover post, that you raised up.

When I installed my Black Iceolator, I did notice a difference right away, but it was at the top of the Rev range. However, after a few hundred miles, it really woke up.

rockryno is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS, 2009 Yamaha R1
    What does this insulator do?

Quote Originally Posted by rockryno View Post
    What does this insulator do?
    You should check out Mace Engineering's website (maceengineering.com.au, Performance Products -> Manifold Insulators -> Holden). To summarize, it's supposed to give a HP/TQ increase and keep your intake cooler since the aluminum of the intake is no longer touching the LIM.

krazienluv10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

wow great! soo im a little confused? this is for the 3.6DI or non DI? do you have a link of where to buy for the non DI vs the DI?... thanks

This is for the non-di. I'll link to it soon. On my phone now.

thanks for the quick reply... soo i am about to make the purchase... I have the DI soo will this be the one to purchase??

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/ep...oducts/MI621_1

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10 View Post
    thanks for the quick reply... soo i am about to make the purchase... I have the DI soo will this be the one to purchase??

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/ep...oducts/MI621_1

thanks
    If you have the DI engine, my understanding is that it is the same engine as the Camaro 3.6 V6. It *should* work if I understand that correctly. However, there is a product here in the States you can purchase that is the same thing. You should search for "Black Ice" as there is another thread on that product. If you live in the states, you might be better off even if it's more expensive as it would be easier to receive support, plus it would be cheaper to return if anything is broken/damaged during shipping.

I wrote this thread up because the non-DI people didn't have a company state-side providing a product similar to "Black Ice". Hope this helps.

oic, I'm sorry, thought it was just a general review on the mace insulator. Was just trying to browse around and do a little digging on reviews. BTW what size did u get, how many mm? is the engine cover rubbing or close to rubbing the strut bar after the install?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10 View Post
    oic, I'm sorry, thought it was just a general review on the mace insulator. Was just trying to browse around and do a little digging on reviews. BTW what size did u get, how many mm? is the engine cover rubbing or close to rubbing the strut bar after the install?

thanks
    I didn't get an option to choose the depth of the insulator. I also didn't measure mine, but from the G8 forum I remember one review I read had it measured to 1/2" which would be about 12.52mm. It is not rubbing the strut tower support bar - I still have about 1/2" clearance to that. Sorry for the delayed response, even though I subscribed to this thread I'm not receiving e-mails on replies.

bojangle is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

DI and NON-DI have diff plenums and will have diff spacers

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

LY7, not LYT

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

That gasket doesnt appear to match the ports perfectly....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.