Any Late model 3.6 CTS owners want 100-150 more HP? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Any Late model 3.6 CTS owners want 100-150 more HP? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by kingtj Same here! I have a suspicion the AWD system won't hold up to much extra power ...
    Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD

Re: Any Late model 3.6 CTS owners want 100-150 more HP?

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    Same here! I have a suspicion the AWD system won't hold up to much extra power and will prove to be the weak spot in these cars. (Kind of makes sense, if one assumes GM's designers decided AWD owners were most likely customers just doing daily driving with their cars and wanted one that wouldn't get them stuck in ice/snow, while the more performance-minded would go with RWD versions instead.) Problem is, I'm one of those exceptions who bought my car used, not even knowing it was offered as RWD/AWD in different versions until after I made the purchase. Got a great deal and the car had every single feature I wanted - so don't regret it. But now I'm stuck wondering if it's really a candidate for this type of power upgrade or not?
    I bought mine with performance in mind. I can out drive myself in an AWD model over a RWD model.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Here is the twin turbo from beneath...and the AWD may be a tight fit....havent done a AWD twin turbo yet:

The Supercharger should be no fitment issues as all is upfront:

As far as drivetrain, that time will tell. If not doing a high rev start from a dig should be fine, but as always, power adders find the weak links in the rest.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Interesting. What made you choose that spot to mount the turbos?

Only place we could fit them. Under the hood results in far to much heat (but look cool as heck), and rear mounts the heat loss (essential for optimum performance) is to great. Rear mounts work, but far from ideal. And they are a tight fit where they are also.

I always thought mounting them where the mufflers were was kind of dumb. I have seen those STS kits on a few cars, and it's ALOT of plumbing. Of course, a shop near my house installed them on an Escalade EXT and made it into a 12 second truck.

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I want that twin turbo setup! haha

You would be surprised how much power a transmission will take, unless you are absolutely thrashing it. I ran my old STi at 456awhp (565 every now and then on 110 leaded) with a completely stock drivetrain other than a ridiculously expensive afternmarket clutch. To be fair though, it makes it a lot easier to keep the shock off of the trans when you can quick slip the clutch. Honestly I would be more worried about the axles than the transmission, I have heard of bone stock STis twisting their axles at the track before they broke their gearboxes.

Some dang quick STi's out there...AWD traction, lots of power, and light = quick.

I thought I read the center diff, or viscous coupling, whatever it is, is the weak spot on the STi. And I think a manual will take alot more abuse than an auto will. There's only one clutch to worry about burning up with a standard.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Same here! I have a suspicion the AWD system won't hold up to much extra power and will prove to be the weak spot in these cars. (Kind of makes sense, if one assumes GM's designers decided AWD owners were most likely customers just doing daily driving with their cars and wanted one that wouldn't get them stuck in ice/snow, while the more performance-minded would go with RWD versions instead.) Problem is, I'm one of those exceptions who bought my car used, not even knowing it was offered as RWD/AWD in different versions until after I made the purchase. Got a great deal and the car had every single feature I wanted - so don't regret it. But now I'm stuck wondering if it's really a candidate for this type of power upgrade or not?
    You gotta pay to play. If you 2 are as performance minded as you say, then be the guinea pigs!

Yup! We see stuff break. All part of going faster.

An old timer at the drag way once told me " if you didn't break something then you didn't go fast enough".

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Eh.... yes and no. I've done a lot of modding of a lot of cars in the past, but I'm also tired of playing guinea pig and getting burned. That's the main reason I dumped my Genesis Coupe I put many thousands of dollars into. I had everything on it from vertical doors to a full cat-less exhaust with long tube headers and a custom dyno tune (done by a guy who flew into the U.S. from S. Korea just to tune 5 or 6 of our cars). It's always gonna be a "pay to play" situation, but that doesn't mean you have to pay for untested stuff that needlessly breaks things.....

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    You gotta pay to play. If you 2 are as performance minded as you say, then be the guinea pigs!

Eh.... yes and no. I've done a lot of modding of a lot of cars in the past, but I'm also tired of playing guinea pig and getting burned. That's the main reason I dumped my Genesis Coupe I put many thousands of dollars into. I had everything on it from vertical doors to a full cat-less exhaust with long tube headers and a custom dyno tune (done by a guy who flew into the U.S. from S. Korea just to tune 5 or 6 of our cars). It's always gonna be a "pay to play" situation, but that doesn't mean you have to pay for untested stuff that needlessly breaks things.....
    Very true. Thats why what we sell is proven, and when were doing R&D we clearly state it. BTW, Love the new Genesis....we do the super chiller for them and other products. They have come a long way from the Tiburon.

vector is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

I talked to an engineer at GM and he said the automatic transmission was only engineered to handle 315hp for my 2009 AWD cts. Have you installed these kits in any automatics yet? Any AWD cars? I would love to buy one of these but I live in the mountains of Colorado and need an AWD car. Also I know that my car is significantly down on power living between 5000 and 9000 ft most of the time. What sort of power do you think I could expect at this altitude? One of my previous cars was an M3 that I had dynoed in Houston and also Dynoed at 6000 feet. It was 57hp lower at altitude. I was thinking this power loss might make the extra horsepower somewhat easier on the drive train. Any thoughts?

We have over 12k miles on an auto with our 3600 stall converter that is currently making 475 rwhp with no failures, and a dozen or so others in the 370-425 rwhp range (only several months of running on them to date) with zero failures.....but as there are no aftermarket parts out yet to beef up the trans I'm sure with abuse there will be failures......but so far they are doing great.

We have done NO AWD cars yet so that will be an unknown, but distributing the power to 4 wheels instead of 2 should ease the stress and driven withing reason I dont forsee issues based upon the 2 wheel drive results.

Also, having lived for a few years on carter Lake West of loveland at altitude the power loss is significant so your overall whp will be less than those at sea level for sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.