Any Late model 3.6 CTS owners want 100-150 more HP? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Any Late model 3.6 CTS owners want 100-150 more HP? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by concorso Which part is he correct on? Are you actually pushing 7lbs? Did you actually dyno a ...
    underpsi68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Any Late model 3.6 CTS owners want 100-150 more HP?

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Which part is he correct on? Are you actually pushing 7lbs? Did you actually dyno a 3.6L DI at 220 hp?

Is there any reason to think this wont work on an LY7? Where do you stick the supercharger?
    I call BS on the 370-400rwhp. Looking at the link with cars dynoed, ones with mods are putting out 250rwhp. 5-6psi will not net 370-400rwhp. Not even CLOSE to a CTS V LOL. I didn't look at any info which says which Vortech he is using but I am guessing a SCI or SI trim. The V3 just means it uses a self contained oil, no engine oil to lube it. A V2 uses engine oil.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

We have several at 390-400 rwhp with the vortec unit and we have the twin turbo versions pushing 450-just under 500 rwhp. No BS....reasearch who we are and the amount of R&D and products released for the 3.6DI.....dont know of another facility that has done as much as we have.....but lets get someone to bring their CTS in here (09 or newer) and let them post up their dyno #'s to prove it as a vendors claims dont always have the credability an independant source does.

underpsi68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    We have several at 390-400 rwhp with the vortec unit and we have the twin turbo versions pushing 450-just under 500 rwhp. No BS....reasearch who we are and the amount of R&D and products released for the 3.6DI.....dont know of another facility that has done as much as we have.....but lets get someone to bring their CTS in here (09 or newer) and let them post up their dyno #'s to prove it as a vendors claims dont always have the credability an independant source does.
    390-400-rwhp with a bone stock motor and a vortech at 5-6psi on pump gas? 7psi will give approximately 50% more hp on paper. There are a lot of other variables of course. Than factor in pulling timing to control detonation (power loss), the hp lost to turn the blower and you won't come close to 50%. I have been playing with blown and turbo cars for over 20years. I have a lot of experience with Vortechs.

Also dyno numbers don't mean much really. To many things can affect the hp reading. It is very easy to get the dyno to read whatever you want it to read. A dyno is just a tuning aid, that's all.

Do you have any 1/4 miles times if these 400rwhp cars? You can get a much more accurate hp reading by this.

I agree on the dyno #'s....a tuning tool for the most part. Go to 10 different dynos with the same car & get 10 different results.

Were running from 12.30's to 11.90's in the 1/4mile.

If you have been doing this for 20 years you have seen alot of progress then, (I have been for 38 years) and the DI motors with 11.3:1 CR we would not have tried to boost a motor on pump gas with that high of compression, but the DI with the fuel introduced on the comp stroke directly into the combustion chamber so detonation is reduced in occurance so were pushing 9# with the twin turbo's on 93....these motors are also so velocity dependant so we have had to abandon much of our standard head porting designs as there is only air transiting the runners. Look at the piston design also and the specific quench area design.

The weak point we assume that is keeping us from going above 600 at the crank is the crank and a custom forged is the only option at this time and the cost makes that a non option for most.

Then the fuel delivery. The lift pump from the tank can supply all we need but the DIHP pump maxes at 2400 PSI and we need app 10-15% more than it can deliver. We have sourced one from Hitachi that has the same plunger depth (runs off of the drivers side cylinder head intake cam) and bolt pattern/fitting thread but it is slightly larger and taller so the feed line between the pump and the rails needs to be modified to adapt it.

To date we have been using either 100% methanol with a progressive controller or a stand alone with 6 28# injectors adapted into the plenum cover so the new pump should solve most fuel delivery issues to app 425 rwhp.

We are not a shop experimenting with something we are not familiar with...we are probably the leader in the 3.6 DI in product development and producing power from these amazing engines.....and they still avg 30plus MPG when cruising on the interstate. If you research you will find we were the first to build a running, driving (customer drove 1000 mile from FL to AR after picking it up) twin turbo 3.6DI 1 1/2 years ago (Leno's team had a mock up at SEMA 2 years ago but it was not street driveable).

We also were the first to offer a specific built stall torque converter for the auto trans on these (all others were restalled OEM units and would not hold up to the extra power), and several other "first to market" LLT specific products. We do NOT have the quickest 3.6 DI car in the 1/4 mile though....that record belongs to a guy with nitrous that is still a couple tenths quicker right now...but were chasing it.

Nin92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS

I'm definitely interested in the system. Only thing keeping me from jumping on that boat would be the warranty. If it came with a powertrain warranty that could rival GM's I would be all over it.

Several aftermarket warranty companies offer packages for add on super chargers......do a google search and you can get quotes. Around $350 for a year I have seen.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

What kinda engine work are you doing to these engines you have in the shop? You must be going with stronger internals...crank...rods...cam work?

The LLT & LFX have strong as heck pistons that are holding up well, the rods are strong and the crank stress tests to just over 600 HP before failure so aside from ARP rod bolts, just making sure the timing chains, tensioners, and gears are good and the chains are not strectched.only

The only real failures we are seeing with these engines is either owners running them dry on oil (dont understand why so many dont think check oil is part of owning a car....but apparantly it is so) or the timing chain failures (mostly due to premature stretch from using cheap oil or the dexos instead of full sysn, and low oil as the tensioners do not have spring backup....all oil presuure dependant). Unreal engines.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Interesting...I wonder how strong the LY7 is. Im considering this supercharger setup, but I really really want a N/A setup making 300 whp. If I wanted to do a build to get near 350 hp, what would you look at?

Are you saying the DEXOS spec is worse for this engine then the Mobil 1 Syn?

DMCEDDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS Coupe AWD

I would like to self install. How much for the kit?
    My email address is dpaling@gmail.com

conorso,

The LYZ we have done any FI to yet so cant answer that, but this system does fit. 300 whp is within reach with CAI, Iceolator spacer, long tubes/exhaust, and a tune.

DMC,

System is $5900 complete with $99 S&H in the US.

Add $350 if you want the billet overdrive crank pluuey/dampner for 8-9# boost. Standard is 4-5# boost.

Includes the tune and tune cable.

To order, call direct: 941-721-1826

How much additional HP does the extra 3-4 psi from the crank pulley provide?

HP for the standard kit (4-5# boost)?

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    I still want to see someone else supercharge a AWD, before I drop the change on this...

I'll let you know how it goes

The standard pulley makes just under 400 whp, the overdrive 450.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.