Optima Yellow Top Installed - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Optima Yellow Top Installed in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So these batts dont produce gases?...
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    So these batts dont produce gases?

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Re: Optima Yellow Top Installed

Yes they so, just not quite as much as liquid filled batteries.

Not worth the risk with my 5 year old......unless it can be vented.

There is a app for my Prius that is vented. I'm gonna have to do some research.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD

Does an OPTIMA battery ever gas?

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator) the OPTIMA will usually not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions. In automotive applications this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stay below 15 volts.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...uctInformation

Rdecrane5 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe RWD
    Braille batteries are so much better then optima. 100% sealed so no need to worry about gases. They also have larger storage and more cca

Optima is 100% sealed...

For anyone that is curious about the specs on Braille vs Optima. Both are group 34/78 for the CTS

Optima
    CCA 750
    Amp Hour 55
    Weight 45lbs
    Warranty 3 Year
    Cost MSRP $228

Braille
    CCA 850
    Amp Hour 60
    Weight 41lbs
    Warranty 5 Year
    Cost MSRP $228

I run a aftermarket car stereo / accessories shop and we install a ton of batteries. When I first started, we only sold Optima. They are good batteries, but we found Braille and have never looked back.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Nice.... I hadn't even heard of Braille batteries before you mentioned this. They look like a good option. I'm not clear, though, if they're a "gel cell" type battery internally like the Optimas? (So would they offer the same insurance against any acid leaking out and corroding the rear quarter panel of the CTS?)

I see Braille also makes a VERY expensive lithium version of this battery, which seems to be sold with the primary advantage of very light weight.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA08702T3702

(Ouch, $1249!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdecrane5 View Post
    For anyone that is curious about the specs on Braille vs Optima. Both are group 34/78 for the CTS

Optima
    CCA 750
    Amp Hour 55
    Weight 45lbs
    Warranty 3 Year
    Cost MSRP $228

Braille
    CCA 850
    Amp Hour 60
    Weight 41lbs
    Warranty 5 Year
    Cost MSRP $228

I run a aftermarket car stereo / accessories shop and we install a ton of batteries. When I first started, we only sold Optima. They are good batteries, but we found Braille and have never looked back.

Optima is not gel cell...

Optima and Braille are both AGM

OptimaJim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. While our batteries are considered “sealed,” any lead-acid battery can vent gas that is both toxic and flammable in extreme situations. For that reason, we do not recommend installing any battery in an enclosed space (trunk or interior), unless it is properly-vented to the outside air. sfv41901, we do offer a direct-fit replacement battery for the Prius, but we do not offer what we consider a direct-fit replacement for the CTS.

Cold cranking amps are one of the most-touted and most-oversold battery specifications around. A replacement battery should meet or exceed the OEM requirements for cranking amps. Cold cranking amps are only an important consideration for people who drive in cold climates. While I know it happens every day, people who live in Austin, Texas shouldn't be buying batteries based on a cold cranking test that takes place at a temperature their vehicle will never see. Our D34/78 YellowTops have a minimum weight of 43.5 pounds, while our 34/78 RedTops have a minimum weight of 38.8 pounds. RedTops will offer more cranking amps than their YellowTop counterparts, at the expense of reserve capacity and the ability to be deep-cycled.

People who have significant aftermarket accessories or electrical demands are better off with a YellowTop, while a RedTop is well-suited for most stock starting/lighting/ignition (SLI) applications. If any battery fails from a manufacturing defect, it is likely to do so well within the first year of use, if not the first month. Beyond that timeframe, most warranties are primarily used as marketing tools. Our three-year, free replacement warranty has no pro-ration, while other warranties may begin pro-ration immediately.

Unlike many batteries on the market, we are both the brand and the manufacturer. We manufacture all of our own batteries in our own facility and they are the only batteries produced there. We never re-label or re-spec our batteries for any of our retail partners and we always use 99.99% pure virgin lead in our batteries. While using recycled lead is less expensive for the manufacturer and commonplace amongst flooded batteries, pure lead offers better performance and lifespan.

The key to long battery life, regardless of brand, is proper voltage maintenance. Fully-charged, our RedTops will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. Whenever any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and left to sit, sulfation begins to form, which diminishes both capacity and lifespan. That makes a quality battery maintenance device an excellent investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
    loosend and loosend like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimaJim
    Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. While our batteries are considered “sealed,” any lead-acid battery can vent gas that is both toxic and flammable in extreme situations. For that reason, we do not recommend installing any battery in an enclosed space (trunk or interior), unless it is properly-vented to the outside air. sfv41901, we do offer a direct-fit replacement battery for the Prius, but we do not offer what we consider a direct-fit replacement for the CTS.

Thx for the info Jim.

So here's the big question.......are u developing a battery for the Gen2 CTS?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.