Anyone have any tips on mods to improve gas mileage?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Anyone have any tips on mods to improve gas mileage?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed Another easy "free" mod you can do is to not carry around a lot of extra ...
    LuciousLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6 DI

Re: Anyone have any tips on mods to improve gas mileage??

Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
    Another easy "free" mod you can do is to not carry around a lot of extra weight in your car. Don't leave stuff in your trunk, remove engine covers / hood heat shield, remove the spare tire and replace it with fix a flat, etc.

Other than that, driving style is a big one and keeping up on your maintenance is another.

I highly doubt anyone will go to that extreme of taking the spare out. And i hear fix a flat is internal murder to tires!

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I did it in my 07 TL Type S and it was no problem. In fact, didn't some of the CTS's not come with a spare but came with a similar type fix a flat from the factory? I seem to remember seeing that.

I have not heard that it causes damage to tires, but I have heard that mechanics get pissed if you don't tell them you used it when you change the tire.

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss
    I've heard of them, but I've never met anyone who could substantiate the claims. I am very skeptical of them.
    No. These do not work.

Do you think Cadillac/GM would NOT put a $10 part into their cars that would make them more appealing to consumers via better mpg?

And an aftermarket CAI MIGHT give .5 mpg increase at most

Mano4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI

yeah i can deff do that, the car is in the shop right now getting a paint job but I should have it back tomorrow.

jimtreber is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Well that's awsome. What mpg were you at and where are you now? When you get a chance, I'd be very interested to know if the increase carries over to the highway.

It sounds to like you were as skeptical as I am before you tried it. It's still hard for me understand how such a simple thing could do so much and NOT be included from the factory. You would think that the factory would WANT to install something like this if works that well.
    I finished a tank of gas and I'm still at 21.2.
    Previous best for the same route, 18.2 (city/suburban).
    During this tank of gas a 40 mile interstate 70mph run bumped it to 22.2 without resetting. Afterwards several 10 minute local trips dropped it to 20. Now it's back to 21.2. I didn't think to track how many miles I put on and I'm driving lightly. I'll reset and take a long interstate run shortly although I don't have a base to compare.

Mano4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI

I averaged 20mpg on my last tank and it was strictly city miles. just driving to and from work stop and go type traffic.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Getting 22 to 24 MPG out of old OBD-1 Northstar power
    Bummer to read the latest greatest is not doing better.
    Maybe you could get the computer programed to economy?
    Dear Leader says:

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

I just completed a 2200 mile road trip. The best single tank mileage I got was 25.7 mpg over 320 miles from Flagstaff to Albuquerque. If you've ever made that run, you know it's mostly down hill. If it weren't for the wind, it might have been better. Overall average for the trip was right at 24 mpg. Some qualifier to these numbers, I had the cruise control set at 83-84 mph for most of the trip, gotta love 75 mph speed limits and I had the trunk full of luggage and my wife and both kids in the car. I may have been able to get above 25 mpg on the overall average if I had been going slower.

I still 100% stock.

mirekj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 AWD Premium

FYI, I just picked up my 09 awd di premium and do nothing but highway miles every day. average about 200-250 miles a day. I will get at least 26-27mpg @ 72mph on cruise all day long here in Illinois and Wisconsin and I noticed 1-2 less with the air conditioning on. Its been about 5 tanks worth so far, and I'm ok with these results....

jimtreber is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Jimtreber, it appear you have been using this product for about a week. Please let us know if your gains appear to be sustained after you've used it for a few weeks or months. It may be possible that your increase in MPG is actually due to you watching the monitor and unconsciously altering your driving style and not from this product. Then again, maybe it actually works and there is some bit of physics and thermochemistry I'm overlooking.
    All right, I have a few months driving on the throttle body spacer. My thoughts and feelings about it are still the same. With all types of city driving (long warmups, short trips, easy driving, spirited driving, etc.) as I had done before, my worst mpg with the spacer is more than 2mpg better than my best I had gotten without the spacer before. Not trying to sell the idea, it just works for me. My highway driving is limited as is the mileage testing and the mpg doesn't seemed to have changed as dramtically if at all.
    When i first installed it, I thought that I noticed a difference right away in running but wasn't positive. I now realize what that was. I recently installed the rest of the package (the cai) and notice the normal dead spots are back that had disappeared with the spacer alone. Suprisingly my mileage didn't further increase with the cai. It's possible that I'm driving differently now because of the sound of the cai. I was worried it would sound like the WAH sound of old 4 barrell carbs but instead has a great performance sound that doesn't start until 3000 rpm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.