New rotors and pads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, New rotors and pads in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Guys and Girls, I have the lumpy bumpy rotors so I decided to do something about it. There were 2 ...
    Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

New rotors and pads

Guys and Girls,

I have the lumpy bumpy rotors so I decided to do something about it. There were 2 options: A) take it to the dealer for a lathe rotor turn job or B) buy new rotors and pads.

I decided to do "B" for a couple of reasons. Turning rotors makes them subject to warpage that much sooner with less mass. Also, I reckoned that it was a good time to sample the ceramic brake pads ,you all have mentioned elsewhere on this site. I got a good deal on some Powerslot rotors, which I have had good luck with on my other vehicles.

The only part that I'm not 100% sure of is the performance of ceramics. The Hawk pads that I'm in favor of using are not made for J55 cars like mine. Mounting the ProStop Ceramics from PepBoys falls into a category of what I call an "experiment". If the braking proves deficient I can re-install the stock dusty pads or use the available EBC Greenstuff ones.

Why not weigh in on my decision and let me know what you think. (I'm sure that it will be smoother, but am worried
    about stopping power)

Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

Re: New rotors and pads

Good call on the low-dust pads. I have a few euro cars that throw an incredible amount of brake dust. Look into the Akebono dustless pads. They're amazing, I'm just not sure if their available for the CTS. Every time I look at the filthy front wheels of my wife's CTS, I think about those Akebonos. I just never remember to see if they're available.

Wagoneer,

If you don't have J55 Iron caliper front brakes--the Akebonos are available but not for mine.

My wife has a little Chevy HHR that I used Hawk ceramics and Powerslot rotors......they work fine on it.

Richard

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I put EBC red stuff on my coupe. Always liked them on higher performance cars.

So I did the deed today. It was really not too difficult and Powerslots are a quality products that is better than stock parts.

I will be curious how the bedding process goes and how they work once they're broken in. (Bedding is different with ProStops over Hawks......15-20 stops from 30-15 mph with 30 seconds cool down in-between cycles)

I'll let you know how it goes. Today was an ideal time to take of the snows and install the summer tires as well.

Richard

Guys,

So I have bedded in my brakes both by mfg. instructions and with 100 miles on the clock. I have to say that at first the pedal effort was fairly high to get the same braking as I had before. That initial "bite" wasn't as good as it had been either. I begin to wonder if ceramics were going to be a big mistake?

After 100 miles the initial bite has improved by a huge amount and the pedal pressure required is way down to about where it used to be. I reckon after a few hundred more miles it will be better still. I've not yet worn the bi-directional cross hatching surface off of the Power Slot rotors.

If I could use any EBC pad it was only the Greenstuff pad that they stocked for the J55.....at every place I looked. The best part of this story is that the front wheels are not a dusty, dark mess. With yesterday's rain storm, they'd have been really dirty and aren't. Oh, and no more pulsations when I apply the brake.....YAY!

Richard

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Awesome. I have had good luck with hawk ceramics when I had my mustang. How do the new rotors look?

Hello,

Here's a link to the rotors...............nothing fancy, look like regular rotors with black mounting hats and 45 degree slits cut in every 2 inches or so. I did not want anything too "bling" or bizarre looking and these fit the bill. http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2722A0A0.aspx

I wanted the Hawk HPS (low dust) or the Yellow Ceramic version (no dust) and have used both but Hawk doesn't make it for my car.

Ricahrd

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.