RX Catch Can - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, RX Catch Can in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by kingtj My catch can (ordered with the breather kit option too) finally arrived the other day. I'm ...
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: RX Catch Can

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    My catch can (ordered with the breather kit option too) finally arrived the other day. I'm hoping to install it tomorrow, since I'll have a day off work.
    The can itself looks like a quality part (I ordered mine painted black), but I do have a slight concern about something I saw discussed with these on the Camaro forums. It sounds like at least one guy had a problem where the check-valve in the catch can got gummed up/froze up in really cold weather and stopped all airflow through the can. That, in turn, pressurized his engine until oil started coming out the rear main seal!

As I understand it, the RX catch-can is optionally sold without the check-value in it, but it's usually there because it allows a little more control of airflow to keep it as close to stock levels as possible, so the engine computer doesn't have to adjust for it being in-line with the system?

I wonder if in our application, we'd be better off without it, just to prevent any possibility of a failed valve causing major problems?
    This is interesting. I have not received mine yet, but freezing valve would be my last concern living in Atlanta....anayway I will check it out....

Keep us updated.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Anyone received/installed the catch can yet?
    Here is a pic of my Rx can installed.
    Attached Images
    MoFex and MoFex like this.

mikesul,

thank you for posting. My can arrived this afternoon. I have to say I am impressed with the quality. If I have time I may install it this weekend. Your photo will definitely make it easier for me

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2
    Good picture. Shows what a piece of cake, the install is.

shmiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 DI CTS

Does it come with all the extra prices of tubing you'd need?

Quote Originally Posted by shmiddy View Post
    Does it come with all the extra prices of tubing you'd need?
    Yes, it does. It comes with everything you need, including bracket, bolts, tubing, installation manual....

I haven't tried to put the engine "beauty" cover back on since having the Black iceolater installed. Always thought that it just kept in heat, not worth having on. Catch can is an easy job and worth it if you never have to clean oil out of the intake manifold.

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    I haven't tried to put the engine "beauty" cover back on since having the Black iceolater installed. Always thought that it just kept in heat, not worth having on. Catch can is an easy job and worth it if you never have to clean oil out of the intake manifold.
    What's your thoughts on the black ice?

First time after install I got on it up a ramp onto the interstate. I do have the Trifecta tune, but it felt much stronger and, with traction control off, carried up to 7k rpm and shifted strongly. I am counting on you to do the dyno test and show the actual gain. I wish I could have done a dyno for each step, KPE intake and ported T-B, Trifecta tune, then the black ice addition. Overall I am very happy with the results for so little money (compared to what I used to spend on my Corvettes).

Installed the catch can this morning. An easy job, maybe 20 minutes. It will be interesting in a few thousands of miles how much oil it will actually catch....

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

We have over 10,000 of these out in use over the years and have had only one customer report a valve freezing from condensation after sitting in below freezing temps....only one, but you can get it with plain fittings instead of the flow controlling checkvalve.

Were running behind on getting orders filled due to the demand. We have added 3 more staff and are working a shift & 1/2 to keep up. New facility in the future.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Ok... got my catch can installed yesterday afternoon. As others said, it's really not difficult to install. The hardest part, for me, was probably struggling to get the steel "pin" unscrewed that the plastic engine cover presses down onto, so I could attach the steel L-shaped bracket to it, to mount the catch-can on. I wound up using 2 pairs of locking pliers; one to hold the nut still on the underside of the "pin", and the other to twist the pin itself to unscrew it. (For some reason, I couldn't find a crescent wrench the same size as the nut or the bottom part of the pin! My toolbox had everything BUT that one.)

I noticed that my engine cover doesn't really snap down onto the pin anymore, but I think that's because I mounted the L-shaped bracket on the BOTTOM of the metal piece the pin goes through instead of on top of it (which would raise the metal pin up higher, by the thickness of the metal bracket). So do it the way mikesul has in his photo!

Are the filters a pretty easy item to get at local auto parts stores or do we have to get them through the vendor?
    How often do they need to be replaced?

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

The breather? The RX unit has an integrated flow controlling checkvalve in it to controll the amount of air flow so the tne can still adapt w/out it MAF metered so putting a plain breather on will cause fueltrim issues.

So big day for me. I tackled the Iceolator Spacer and RX Catchcan. Ive never done this kind of work on a car before, it felt good. The instructions that were sent were pretty good for the CatchCan

Everything went well, i think i got it done within an hour.

Heres what my manifold looked like, not good, i recommend everyone gets this can, i can only see this oil intake causing problems

By shmiddy at 2012-04-22

This is how i ran the lines

By shmiddy at 2012-04-22

By shmiddy at 2012-04-22

And the drain line

By shmiddy at 2012-04-22

The engine cover modification,

By shmiddy at 2012-04-22

The cover sits a bit crooked, and i will play with some of the stuff to make it work, just didnt have the energy today.

By shmiddy at 2012-04-22

Thank you to the RX team for the products
    CTS_ likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.