Product reivew: The Black Ice-Olater by VMax - Intake Phenolic Spacer - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Product reivew: The Black Ice-Olater by VMax - Intake Phenolic Spacer in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; What I mean is had u known what u know now u would have done it all in 1 shot....
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    What I mean is had u known what u know now u would have done it all in 1 shot.

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2
    Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    What I mean is had u known what u know now u would have done it all in 1 shot.
    Ahhhh, I see.

Well, my plan that I outlined had a gigantic monkey wrench thrown at it, and I had to deviate.

Video and pics are uploading now....

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Re: Product reivew: The Black Ice-Olater by VMax - Intake Phenolic Spacer

Have some good news and some bad news.

Bad News:

As we know, my car is AWD, and must by dynoed on an AWD dyno. No problem, I'm friendly with a shop owner that has one, I secured it for 1/2 a day, and was given free reign. Well, as luck would have it, after I drive the 1.5 hours down to him, we throw the car on the dyno, and the mechanism that adjusts the rollers to match the length to the wheels, was broken. Noooooooooooooo! Well, I had to make a decision. I could either leave, and wait for him to order the part, install it, and reschedule. Or, I could go ahead an install the spacer, and come back after the dyno is fixed. That way I could flash back to stock, and get a "spacer only" baseline, then flash to the Trifecta tune, and get a "spacer +tune" number. Unfortunately, for those looking for a completely stock baseline and a stock +spacer dyno number, I won't be able to provide that, unless I rip the spacer back out.

The Good News:

The install is very straight forward, if you have basic wrenching skills. No special tools are required and I was able to do it in about an hour and half. Some of that time was spent looking for a dropped gasket into the underground dyno area, (more on that), and time was also spent cleaning out the ingested oil, found in the intake manifold. Which brings me to this...

My very next thing to do, is invest in a catch can. I'll probably go with the RX catch can, since the spacer seems to be a very good product. Here are some pictures from my 30K mile example:

So, do yourself a favor a get a catch can.

Here's what the space looks like installed with the RTV setting up:

And here's a video showing proof of the spacer doing it's thing:

So, how does it feel:

Before installation I had flashed the car back to stock, since I had planned on just doing a pre/post tune dyno. But, after it was installed, I took to the car out with a stock tune and you could certainly feel it pull hard. Honestly, it pulled harder than when it had the tune on it. So, very excited I flashed the car back to the Trifecta tune, expecting the power to feel absurd. While the car does feel stronger with the tune on top of the spacer, it wasn't double the power I was expecting. I have zero problem believing the claimed 20hp/25 tq from the spacer, and I have no problem believing the ~25hp from the tune, but it doesn't feel like 45-50hp with both. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with both products, and I fully recommend piggy backing these.

It's such a shame that I have no empirical data, but there was no way of knowing that the dyno was going to break. Anyway, the shop owner is going to order the necessary parts to fix the dyno, and I'll go back. I just won't have the 4 dyno numbers I originally wanted, but I will have 2.

Tracy is going to send me one of his CNC ported throttle bodies, so when that comes in, I'll go back to the dyno shop again.

Ok, so about that dropped spacer, shown in the first picture, right in center of the manifold. Somehow, someway, we dropped that spacer/gasket into the built-in dyno rollers. We looked and looked and looked, and even starting ripping the dyno apart, but alas, we couldn't find it. I placed a call to the nearest Caddy dealer and explained to him what I needed. After getting a lecture from him about ripping apart a new car, I was told that the part is special order, and not a stocked item. I had a dilemma. After giving it some thought, I'm of the belief that it's acting as a spacer, to match the height of the gasket that runs the circumference of the manifold. Since that outer gasket is the one sealing the manifold from atmosphere, I took a gamble that I could get away without it. I torqued the bolts down to 18 ft-lbs, wincing the whole time. Well, looks like I got lucky, as there appears to be no ill affect. No rough idle, and I was logging fuel trims, and watching them the whole way home under no/part/wide open throttle. All appears to be good. I have ordered the part, and since it's just under the plenum, it's a 15 minute job. Note to self: Never turn wrenches on top of a built-in dyno.

Fully recommend

----------

One more thing....

The engine cover fits. Not perfectly, as the passenger side post is a bit too short now, but it's very close.

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Great writeup again man. I am a little bummed obviously with what happened with the dyno being broken...I was definitely looking forward to some stock / stock + spacer comparisons. I would consider just leaving the engine cover off, I have done it on my last two vehicles. It will keep things even cooler under there and nobody will see it anyway

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I think after you install the ported T-B you should data log and send it to BNR/Trifecta and let Vince look at it. I'm sure he will make adjustments to the tune that will improve the SOTP feel. That's what I plan to do after installing the catch can an spacer.
    Sorry you couldn't get all the dyno data, but am still interested in final numbers when the dyno is fixed.

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Just as a reference, and I don't mean to hijack, I found the thread on camaro 5 where dyno testing was done:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202185

It looks like the mod did in fact gain around 20 ponies and 25 ft-lb torque, but it was mostly in the mid-rpm range from 2500-5000. not that that is a bad thing at all! It's actually great and very practical for every day driving. In the high-RPM range (5000-6800) the gains were smaller, in the 2-10hp range, which nonetheless is really good for such a small mod. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when I first read the claims but I guess this mod really does work.

Still very much looking forward to hearing about your dyno tests Wagoneer!

No hijack at all! The more info, the better. I also saw that thread over there, but didn't know the rules about linking to other forums. I guess it's not a competing forum, so....

But yes, the peak number doesn't really matter to me, since I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile car, or a dyno queen. These cars aren't super fast and I already have a real fast one, when I want to do that. But, since most of the gains are under the curve, that means daily drivability is mo-better.

Guys, I normally don't buy into the theory that these modern ECMs need to adapt when new hardware modifications are made, like the Vmax Black Ice-Olalater. When we do pre/post dyno runs showing increase at the wheels, the ECM hasn't adapted to anything, right? However, I may need to reconsider my position. After now having put roughly 300 miles on the car, since the installation of this device, the car has without question, become different. It pulls stronger above 3K RPM than it initially did right after install. There still seems to be room for improvement from 1K-3K, and I believe that's where the CNC ported throttle body will shine, but I'm of the belief that I've added every bit of 40WHP with the tune and this spacer. Of course, once we get the dyno sorted out, and the throttle body on the car, we'll have concrete numbers.

For anyone that's on the fence, let me be the one to push you over, to the land of cool intake manifold freedom.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Have you been able to keep you foot out of it long enough to see how "normal' driving fuel consumption has been effected? Mods that increase power by increasing combustion efficiency can sometimes improve fuel comsumption under normal driving. I'd be very curious to know if this is the case with this product.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Have you been able to keep you foot out of it long enough to see how "normal' driving fuel consumption has been effected? Mods that increase power by increasing combustion efficiency can sometimes improve fuel comsumption under normal driving. I'd be very curious to know if this is the case with this product.

Thanks,
    It's my wife's car, so I don't really do an awful lot of commuting in it. I'll take to run short errands, and I've been whomping on it pretty good, just to test the new mods. So no, we haven't really noticed any increase in MPG. That's not something I normally worry about too much, when I'm modding for more power.

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-O-Neer View Post
    No hijack at all! The more info, the better. I also saw that thread over there, but didn't know the rules about linking to other forums. I guess it's not a competing forum, so....

But yes, the peak number doesn't really matter to me, since I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile car, or a dyno queen. These cars aren't super fast and I already have a real fast one, when I want to do that. But, since most of the gains are under the curve, that means daily drivability is mo-better.

If you think about it, it makes sense though. At low-mid RPM the air being sucked into the motor travels much slower so it has more "time" to be "heated up" by the hot intake manifold... At high RPM the air is travelling very fast so it's really the temperature of the ambient air itself that has an effect on power output rather than the temperature of the motor/manifold. That's the way I look at it anyway

Just a little housekeeping here....

It was glossed over a bit, and nobody really seemed to question it, but I'm still running without the spacer, shown in this pic:

I've had ZERO problems, but I wanted to replace it, so off to the dealer I went. GM will NOT sell you just that gasket/spacer. You must buy a gasket kit that also includes the plastic gasket that sits under the manifold, and the rubber gasket that runs along the circumference of the plenum. So, it's a 3 gasket set for about $70.00. Lesson learned to never turn wrenches above a built-in dyno.

So, about that dyno I used. I've talked to the owner a few times, and he's still having issues with the roller length adjustment. The replacement parts didn't fix the problem, so now they're looking at replacing the motherboard. At this point, I'll probably search out another AWD dyno. There's not too many in my area, but I'll find one that can accommodate me.

I've received the Rx CNC ported throttle body and catch can, so they're next.....

cracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Black Diamond V Coupe
    Wag-o-neer any word yet on dyno? How's the spacer been treating you? Very interested in spacer and tune you have done would love an update.

Securing an AWD dyno in my area has been next to impossible. I did get information for another shop somewhat near me, that does tuning for Subaru's, so I may get lucky there....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.