My Trifecta ECM/TCM tuning experience - 2010 CTS-4 3.6L DI Wagon - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, My Trifecta ECM/TCM tuning experience - 2010 CTS-4 3.6L DI Wagon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Using new factors supplied by Beanjapan, I did another standing 1/4 mile. HP figure is very close to advertised number. ...
    Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2
    Using new factors supplied by Beanjapan, I did another standing 1/4 mile. HP figure is very close to advertised number. The app I'm using isn't 100% accurate, but it's darn close. However, the dyno numbers aren't really the main thing for me, I'm more interested in my data logging figures above. Those values were recorded from the ECM, real time, using my scanning equipment. It's very accurate. I will have hard data as to exactly how much timing is added when I do apply the tune.

The dyno app thingy is just for fun, and is surprisingly accurate.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

Re: My Trifecta ECM/TCM tuning experience - 2010 CTS-4 3.6L DI Wagon

That is a really cool app - I can see that it would be useful for skid pad and autocross.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Yep... Dynolicious is a great little app. But just FYI (as someone with a little experience with it), a critical component of making it give useful/accurate results is figuring out how to mount your iPhone or iPod touch so it doesn't move around on its own. Even though it doesn't look great, a quick and practical solution might be industrial strength velcro tape to stick on the back of the phone and on a flat, level surface in the car like inside the center console glovebox. You need to be sure it doesn't slide forwards or backwards at all from the car accelerating or braking, or results will be off.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    Yep... Dynolicious is a great little app. But just FYI (as someone with a little experience with it), a critical component of making it give useful/accurate results is figuring out how to mount your iPhone or iPod touch so it doesn't move around on its own. Even though it doesn't look great, a quick and practical solution might be industrial strength velcro tape to stick on the back of the phone and on a flat, level surface in the car like inside the center console glovebox. You need to be sure it doesn't slide forwards or backwards at all from the car accelerating or braking, or results will be off.
    You're 100 correct. I've got a very sturdy windshield mount, that I mount low enough that the phone wedges against the dash. It's very solid and doesn't move it all.

But the dyno app is just for fun. I don't put an awful lot of stock into those numbers, it's just cool. I'm a born/bred drag racer, so my cars go to the track. Hell, a bunch of us rented out Maryland International Raceway on Saturday, for our private use. 1/4 mile MPH will tell me more about the tune than any dyno or smart phone app ever could. However, my timing logs on the previous page are very useful. I can tell exactly what he's doing with the tune, as far as spark advance. Since I have no plans of installing a wideband in this car, I'll never be able to read AFR, but not very worried about it on a non-boosted engine. They've got this tune running on tons of 3.6 Camaro's so I bet they've got the AFR dialed in pretty well.

I'll try to get it flashed in the next couple of days, and we'll see what's what.

Tuning the car, as I type this. Yea!

We decided to just start with their basic "off the shelf" ECM/TCM tune and work from there.

I'll see how she runs/shifts with the basic calibrations first, then we'll tailor it as needed.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Sweet.

Just flashed it and reset tranny adaptation as well but did not enable the ghost cam.

Prior to flashing it, I pulled and saved the stock ECM and TCM files, just in case. It took about 20 minutes total to read both files. Flashing it took 10 minutes, and I enabled the transparency option.

Guys, first impression is it's worth every penny. The car feels totally different. It feels MUCH zippier and throttle tip-in is aggressive. The tranny shifts crisp in A6 mode at WOT and throttle blipping on auto downshifts is a nice touch. Driving at part throttle still gives you nice, comfy, lazy shifts, just like stock. You throw it into sport mode and not much changes at part throttle, but at WOT the car shifts like a '69 Chevelle with a hurst shift kit. Smiles.

So far so good, however, the car's fan is running a bit loudly at idle. It didn't do that initially after tune, so not sure what that's all about. I did beat on the car a little, but it had about 2 miles of very light throttle before I pulled back into my driveway. Maybe the car was just cooling itself down, but ambient temp right now is about 45*. I've sent a note to BNR already to see what they think. I'll drive it like I've got some sense tomorrow.

Happy customer at this point.

Ok, so according to my little dyno app, I dropped about 2 tenths off my 1/4 time. Take that with a grain of salt. But, if you look at the little graph, you can definitely see how firm she was shifting. Below is my pre-tune graph and post tune. Look at the difference in shift firmness. That's hard data fellas, not placebo.

I'll keep updating this for the next week or two with my opinion. I talked the wife into letting me take the car golfing tomorrow, so I'll have some seat time in her.

Pre-tune

Post tune

Forgive any grammatical errors, as I'm typing this from my iPhone.

beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Very very exciting and awesome write up! Interested in seeing what else you can do.

Let us know if you get the ghost cam feature working. Would be cool to hear a before and after.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Interesting. Keep the data flowing.

I'll try to shoot a short little video. Not really sure if the increase will translate to video, but it's worth a shot. I'll try to get you guys something by the end of the day. I'm sitting in a golf cart right now, waiting for my 4some to arrive. Fore!

cracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Black Diamond V Coupe
    Awesome work good sir! Followed from start to end of your thread and i am very interested in doing the tune as well only problem is I have a Mac will the flash work?

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

I'm a Mac user myself. I can answer this one!

The software is written only for Microsoft Windows. But I didn't let that stop me. My Macbook Pro has a copy of VMware Fusion installed on it, with a Windows 7 image it runs. I was able to use their ez-flash software in the virtual environment to re-tune my CTS. You just have to make sure you tell it it give Windows control of your USB device(s), so it can talk to the OBDII programming cable properly.

Quote Originally Posted by cracing View Post
    Awesome work good sir! Followed from start to end of your thread and i am very interested in doing the tune as well only problem is I have a Mac will the flash work?

cracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Black Diamond V Coupe
    Nice will definitely look into that how is the tune treating you? Any issues?

I got an answer from Vince on the fan. He stated that they tune the car for the fan to come on at a lower temp, since the car is running a spicy file, now. They do it for safety, and if it becomes an annoyance, it can be written out of the tune, if I wish. As of now, I'm not messing with anything. The car is more exciting to drive, and I'm having some fun with her. It's my wife's car, so I'm going to toss her the keys back tonight, and we'll see if it passes the dreaded 'mommy test'. As we know, most of our wives/girlfriends will probably just put the thing in "D" and have at it. So, if she's happy with the way it's running in 'mommy mode', I'll leave it alone.

However, it looks like I'll be tinkering with it some more. Ported throttle body and intake manifold phenolic spacer is next up. With possibly a CAI to follow. Not sure if the CAI passes the 'mommy test', since it makes a little bit of noise, but we'll see.

So I took a quick little video to try and demonstrate the new shifting characteristics. It's a crude video, taken at the spur of the moment, so please ignore the amateur hour.

Filmed in 720P, for your pleasure.
    CTS_ and exhaust_freak like this.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Vince was releasing a updated tune today....he writes the ones for our 3.6 twin turbo and super charged builds. Very talented.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.