How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have been meaning to do this for a while since I bought this car, as it is something I've ...
    WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!)

I have been meaning to do this for a while since I bought this car, as it is something I've done on several cars in the past. Having never taken apart a CTS intake I wasn't sure what to expect, but this mod was a lot easier on this car than it is on a lot of imports. I thought I would post up a writeup with pics here since it is an easy, free mod to do.

What this mod does:
    1. Removes the intake silencer (snorkel, snorkus it is called on some vehicles) that is engineered to quiet down the stock intake system
    2. Gives the car a mean growl
    3. In some cases, slightly better throttle response.

What this mod takes:
    1. Basic wrenching knowledge (by basic, this is pretty novice level)
    2. 10mm socket wrench

Step 1: Open up yer hood!

Step 2: Remove the plastic cooling cowl over the radiator. It is the big black plastic piece closest to your grille with fat weatherstripping attached to it. To remove this, there are 6 screw-type plastic pop rivets. Simply turn these until you can pop them out with your fingers. I found these MUCH easier than the non-screw pop rivets you have to pull out in some applications (like fenders)

You will also need to pull out the weatherstripping that goes all the way around the sides of the engine bay and is attached to this cowl. Don't be afraid to pull it, it's really easy to tuck back in when you're all done.

Step 3: Remove the plastic cover panel just above the air box. This will give you access to the one bolt that hold the intake in place in the CTS. This pops right off fairly easily.

Step 4: Remove the bolt on the fender well that holds the air box in place. You will notice in this picture that there are some coolant lines that kind of snake around the intake to the radiator and T off toward the engine block. You can just tuck these away during the installation and tuck them back when you're done.

Step 5: Remove the air box assembly. There are two 10mm screws on the top and bottom that attach to the wrinkle intake tube that you need to remove first. **Note** Be careful with the bottom screw! It's a little hard to get to and if you drop it you're SOL in trying to find it. Be especially careful on reassembly

There is also a triangular "plug" on the air box that holds the intake in place right behind the grill. You will see what I mean when you look at it. Once the fender well bolt and the two intake tube screws are removed, and the coolant lines are out of the way, you can pull the intake BACK and UP to get it out of the engine bay. You might need a little muscle here, just be aware of the refrigerant lines and such behind it and you will be fine. Here are the two screw holes:

And here is what the airbox and silencer assembly looks like.

You can tell I don't keep my engine bay super clean!

Step 6: Rip that sucker off! The silencer is held in place by some indentation tabs and can be removed by squeezing the silencer itself in the middle and pulling outwards.

Step 7: Reassemble everything in reverse order! Don't forget to tuck that weatherstripping back into the frame slots. You will see what I mean when you reinstall, it just kind of "fits" when you pop it back in right.

The final product (looks no different from the first shot, kind of nice for the sleeper look!

First ride impressions:
    1. I was VERY surprised on this car how much of a difference it made. My 07 TL Type-S sounded awesome with the silencer hacked out, but this car almost has a V8 snarl to it once you pop that piece out. Noticeably louder from inside the car and especially if you have the windows down!
    2. No difference in throttle response so far, but I may need some time for the ECU to adjust to the change if its noticing any at all. You certainly won't notice any power gains from this mod. I don't think there will ultimately be a bit TR increase either because it's basically a straight shot to the airbox. Some cars have an elaborate silencer system and this one is more of a ram air effect.

Anyway, certainly worth the 20 minutes for the sound alone...gave me a huge grin on the test drive Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chicksdigit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Cadillac CTS/65 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Re: How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!)

sound clips would be great

I can try to get a video clip with my cell phone, but it's not going to sound great. Let me see what I can do tonight.

Ask and you shall receive! You're welcome.

chicksdigit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Cadillac CTS/65 Cadillac Coupe Deville

sounds pretty good from the clip, might have to try it since it is reversable. Nice write-up.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    Awesome mod! I completed this in about 5 minutes. I'll add a minor modification though, to make it much easier; instead of removing the two bolts on the intake hose to the engine, disconnect the electrical connection to the MAFS and loosen the hose strap, then pull off the housing.

My "snorkel" was siliconed to the housing, so I peeled it off. Anyone else see this on theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell View Post
    Awesome mod! I completed this in about 5 minutes. I'll add a minor modification though, to make it much easier; instead of removing the two bolts on the intake hose to the engine, disconnect the electrical connection to the MAFS and loosen the hose strap, then pull off the housing.

My "snorkel" was siliconed to the housing, so I peeled it off. Anyone else see this on theirs?
    Nice, good call! That's probably a lot easier haha.

jackoskate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac CTS

I did this mod today and I have to say what a great free mod. It really makes the motor sound much better and I think I've noticed a hint of better throttle response. I highly suggest this for every one!

shmiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 DI CTS

Thank you for this idea and How to
    I just finished mine and it all went smooth and quick except for when i tried removing the bolt that holds the bottom peice of the air filter box, the bolt was seized and snapped. So it took a extra hour to drill it out and re-tap the hole,
    Other than that it was good and i LOVE it
    My snorkle was siliconed on aswelll

hotrodln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood

I'd like to do this mod when i change the air filter to a K&N....now we don't think the inlet silencer also keeps rain out of the air cleaner or anything like that right?

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    No way, not only is the inlet without the silencer safely inside the engine compartment, but it been raining pretty heavily the last few weeks here and my box and filter have been dry as a bone. I was paranoid, so I checked a few times... ;-)

hotrodln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood

ok well that's good enough for me! I really liked the sound clips.....my wife will ask me " is something wrong with the car it sounds louder?"

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

I did mine too, when I was installing the Vmax Black Ice-olator. Cool free mod. Adds a little grunt to her....

shmiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 DI CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-O-Neer View Post
    I did mine too, when I was installing the Vmax Black Ice-olator. Cool free mod. Adds a little grunt to her....
    Whats that?

Jon
    Jon is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Tried this today. Didn't do anything noticeable with regards to sound. In fact may do more harm than good as the snorkel seems to direct air from the front of the car so it's not hot air from the engine compartment. I ended up putting it back on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.