How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Did the mod,sounded like crap with my magnaflow system.Changed it back after 2 days....
    Anthony M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond tricoat 3.0 awd cts
    Did the mod,sounded like crap with my magnaflow system.Changed it back after 2 days.

D VADER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sport Wagon

Re: How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!)

Wow, major design changes from my 2008 CTS. I'm sure K&N makes a performance filter that would help too.

Nitro LX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts Coupe.

Thinking about doing this over the weekend. Anyone know if there is a big difference in the 2013 model? Hope not. Going to be ordering my filter today fron k&n.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Thanks for keeping this alive. I'm making the transition from a BMW 3 series with a muffler delete to this too-quiet Caddy. I don't want to do an exhaust on this one, but want something to remind me there's an engine there. Hoping this'll add just enough. I'll let ya know

Nitro LX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    Thanks for keeping this alive. I'm making the transition from a BMW 3 series with a muffler delete to this too-quiet Caddy. I don't want to do an exhaust on this one, but want something to remind me there's an engine there. Hoping this'll add just enough. I'll let ya know
    What did you end up getting?

D VADER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sport Wagon

Just ordered the HP K&N filter. I'll remove the silencer when I install the K&N.

dbischoff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI AWD

I just tried the mod. If you can change your air filter, you can do this. It is that simple.

But here's what I found: When I pulled up the lower filter housing the snorkel did not come out with it. It was still sitting in its slot. Did it unclip when I pulled up the housing, or was it already disconnected?

I notice no difference in the sound, so I conclude that the snorkel was unattached all along.

I have owned this '09 for a little less than a year, and I was always impressed with the stock (or so I had thought) sound. I figured the GM engineers did a great job of making this car as quiet as a caddie should be during relaxed cruizing, but opens up a "sports car" sound when I step on it. Little did I know I owed it to a failed component.
    D VADER likes this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

When I pulled the airbox out the snorkel was just laying loose. I believe it may have simply set into the airbox and separated as I pulled the box out. There is a noticeable change in tone and volume even under light acceleration. Of ourse the best sound is at WOT. The only problem is that my mpg has dropped to 17.2.

ghoward10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI AWD

Just did this mod in about 30 minutes, works great on my 2009 CTS4 DI!

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Lightbulb Another Option With Explanation

I'm usually the last person to suggest leaving something alone, but this time it makes sense and here is why.

1 - The 2 little dead-ended "side tubes" on the air horn stabilize air flow at known harmonic frequencies the GM engineers found from the sounds of the intake vacuum during acceleration in your CTS' engine. Basicly the "shouting" of your engine grabbing air in a couple spots of the rpm is so resonant, the sound waves disrupt airflow entering the intake. Those little tubes act like shock absorbers, giving the intake a 180o out of phase response to stop the losses.

2 - Your airbox and airfilter is the same one used on the 6.2l CTS-V - look at the design of the two boxes and the part number for the air filter - don't take my word for it. This being said, it means that airbox can flow for an engine nearly twice the size of the 3.6 - flow is not an issue here.

3 - If you really want to give you CTS some good air, provide a true forced, and cold air intake charge. The following post will show you one way to provide a straight path for outside air to enter the airbox, sealed off from the engine compartment, and pressurized by the front clip when at speed. Click That --> XE's Chilly Air Intake Mod for 2012+ LFX (the mod is similar on previous year models)

The sound is nice, but they won't be able to here it if you do this, because hopefully they are behind you, in your rear view mirror only!

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder
    I'm usually the last person to suggest leaving something alone, but this time it makes sense and here is why.

1 - The 2 little dead-ended "side tubes" on the air horn stabilize air flow at known harmonic frequencies the GM engineers found from the sounds of the intake vacuum during acceleration in your CTS' engine. Basicly the "shouting" of your engine grabbing air in a couple spots of the rpm is so resonant, the sound waves disrupt airflow entering the intake. Those little tubes act like shock absorbers, giving the intake a 180o out of phase response to stop the losses.

2 - Your airbox and airfilter is the same one used on the 6.2l CTS-V - look at the design of the two boxes and the part number for the air filter - don't take my word for it. This being said, it means that airbox can flow for an engine nearly twice the size of the 3.6 - flow is not an issue here.

3 - If you really want to give you CTS some good air, provide a true forced, and cold air intake charge. The following post will show you one way to provide a straight path for outside air to enter the airbox, sealed off from the engine compartment, and pressurized by the front clip when at speed. Click That --> XE's Chilly Air Intake Mod for 2012+ LFX (the mod is similar on previous year models)

The sound is nice, but they won't be able to here it if you do this, because hopefully they are behind you, in your rear view mirror only!
    Good info, thank you!

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just saw my old thread show up on the Cadillac newsletter! Sweet! Glad i could help and you all are still doing this mod and enjoying it. I am about to sell my car but I still love the sound every time I mash the gas. For the Internet Engineers who did not go through the rest of this thread I will say it again: this is not a mod to improve performance. It is to give the car a beefier sound only. You will not feel any seat of the pants difference, positive or negative, by doing this mod.

che1201 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
    Nice, good call! That's probably a lot easier haha.
    Removing the snorkel was the easiest part. Reinstalling the weather stripping was the hardest part. Lol!

trailbrake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar

Video is private?

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Try again, deleted my Google+ profile and it borked my YT channel

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.