How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I removed it earlier this year, and then put it back in a week later. High load low throttle inputs ...
    GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

Re: How To: Intake Silencer Removal (With Pics!)

I removed it earlier this year, and then put it back in a week later. High load low throttle inputs on the freeway exhibited a very deep groan/resonance.

hooey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Just completed this mod. My 2010 CTS setup is different from yours, so there were actually 3 additional screws which needed to be removed. The small bolt was definitely the most difficult part of this mod, I have somewhat big hands and it was hard to get out and a nightmare to get back in. Once everything was completed, however, the smile on my face easily showed that I thought the mod was worth it.

You can tell a major improvement in the deep growl of the car's sound immediately after you touch the pedal. I never thought the CTS engine has a "whine" like some other cars and V6s might when you go WOT, and for anyone who does this mod is 100% guaranteed to reverse that opinion. This mod has made my car sound nearly identical to a typical V8, and it was completely free to do.

I HIGHLY recommend this mod to anyone willing to invest 30-45mins of work to get many, many miles of satisfaction.

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hooey View Post
    Just completed this mod. My 2010 CTS setup is different from yours, so there were actually 3 additional screws which needed to be removed. The small bolt was definitely the most difficult part of this mod, I have somewhat big hands and it was hard to get out and a nightmare to get back in. Once everything was completed, however, the smile on my face easily showed that I thought the mod was worth it.

You can tell a major improvement in the deep growl of the car's sound immediately after you touch the pedal. I never thought the CTS engine has a "whine" like some other cars and V6s might when you go WOT, and for anyone who does this mod is 100% guaranteed to reverse that opinion. This mod has made my car sound nearly identical to a typical V8, and it was completely free to do.

I HIGHLY recommend this mod to anyone willing to invest 30-45mins of work to get many, many miles of satisfaction.
    Thanks for sharing the differences in the 2010 setup! Glad you are enjoying this free mod

hooey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

no problem, forgot to say THANK YOU for the awesome heads up and tutorial on how to do this mod

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Where is the silencer location in relation to the maf tube. Is it really necessary to remove the box to get to the part or can you get to it once the inlet tube at the maf sensor is removed.

Hammerhead100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Performance Sedan

You will need to remove the air box. Very simple once you get in there. Kinda reminds me of the old days with a Rochester Quadrajet

jbelot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Did it. Louder for sure. No performance change that I noticed. I think I will order the D3 CAI now. What the heck, its only money but it's so fun to do.

----------

Did it, louder for sure, no performance change that I noticed. I think I will order the D3 CAI now. What the heck, its only money but it's so fun to do.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    I'm very happy with my d3
    jbelot and jbelot like this.

jbelot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

How much if you dont mind me asking. What changed with the intake? Im looking for an excuse to do this sooner then later. Cheers!

2jzgze is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Will this work on a 2013?

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 2jzgze View Post
    Will this work on a 2013?
    I would think so. I haven't specifically looked at a 2013 intake but I would assume it is the same if not very similar.
    2jzgze and 2jzgze like this.

DWBFightgear is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Luxury+
    DONE. 15 minutes and when gas is smashed, sounds more throaty! Thanks for the walkthrough!!

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

Job well done!!

I did this today and I love it! I didnt realize that piece came off. Serves me right for not looking. Thanks for a very helpful post!!!

milocoman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD DI

Funny that I just saw this thread. I put a CAI on my 08 over the weekend and pulled that piece out as well. Sound change was very noticeable and way better than before. Was not sure if it was the CAI doing it but now I know what was!!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Thanks to all who kept this thread alive. I finally decided to give it a try. The only thing that made the install difficult is that the air box on the coupe is mounted differently and I spent a lot of time trying to find all of the attaching mounts shown in the directions. There is only one bolt that hold the air box in place and that's the one on top of the wheel well. To get it out is still a bit of a struggle because where the box is mounted at the front cross bar it seems that there is a bolt there but there isn't, just a rubber plug. All it takes is a tug and the whole thing pops out. Going back in is a snap because once you aim that rubber plug to where it needs to go it only takes a slight push to put everything back together. The sound is just perfect for the looks of the coupe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.