Performance Chip - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Performance Chip in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Any feedback yet on this tune?...
    WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Performance Chip

Any feedback yet on this tune?

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

I posted some comments on the tune in another thread here already, but basically? I'm pretty happy with mine so far. I requested a tune that was programmed so my car would take advantage of 91-93 octane fuel (but could still run safely on regular 87 octane unleaded if I wished), and with the transmission shift-points improved.

My very first impression was that it didn't really feel any different than the original factory tune, but I was also just driving around town at 35MPH or so on average. When I took another drive that involved getting on the highway, I felt like the car pulled better when accelerating. I've also noticed it isn't so quick to shift gears early, in a race to get into as high a gear as possible, as quickly as possible. (I'm sure Cadillac did that to maximize fuel economy - but it's kind of frustrating if you're doing anything other than slow and easy driving that doesn't involve much stop and go.)

I just refilled my tank with 93 octane super unleaded, to see if I notice any difference with it as opposed to the tank of 87 I just went through. Will let you know if I see any more improvements with it!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
    Any feedback yet on this tune?

jscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade and CTS

Does the tune eliminate the governor/speed limiter?

beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I would never lift the limiter until you get new tires first. Its there for a reason, you dont want to be doing 142 mph (that's how fast i got mine), and have 120 mph rated tires and have them explode... we'll be reading about you in the news

jscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade and CTS

Thanks for your opinion but i'm not new to "MODDING". I have UHP tires on my vehicles, so i know my limitations. The reason why I asked is, i have a handheld on my escalade and it takes the governor off. Like most tunes, it would probably take the governor off. I want to hear from somebody that had first hand experience with the product as far as drivability, flexibility (options) and if any performance gains. Historically with our cars, we have limited options for tuning and there are not a lot of companies that cracked the ECM to extract considerable gains. That is one of the reasons, why i'm considering purchasing a V. By the way, I drive on the "AUTOBAHN" often.

BNRacing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    Just as a quick update, I received a box in the mail yesterday containing the "EZ-Flash" programming cable for the custom tune. Basically, it's just a USB to serial cable, except instead of a 9-pin serial port on one end, it has an OBDII connector. (So the way they act like these cables are costly items requiring security deposits down is nothing but marketing and profit-making. One of these cables should really have a "street value" of no more than about $20-25, tops.) To be fair though, I think they used to ship people a much more advanced programming tool that was self-contained, vs. requiring you load software on a laptop computer and use one of these cables with it. If they were still shipping actual stand-alone programmer units, THEN I'd understand the need for security deposits and such.

Along with the cable itself, Trifecta included a big round sticker with their logo on it, but oddly - no printed instructions or software in the box. I figured out how to download the required software drivers and ezflash utility for Windows itself from their web site, and was just trying to figure out where to download my custom tune when I received an email with instruction and a copy of the tune attached. (I guess they wait until they receive delivery confirmation from the post office for your package and then email you the instructions and tune that evening.)

I probably won't get any time to try to do anything with this until this weekend, but I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

I'd like to just clear up something really quickly here. The reason the cable is so expensive is because it can write to the ECM, not just read. The $20 cables you can get all over the place online can read and some of them can even clear CELs, but they can't actually program anything to the ECM. Ours is actually the cheapest cable you can get that can write CAN-BUS. Most are well over $200. The next cheapest cable besides ours that can do the same thing is the Tactrix Openport 2.0 (used for GM stuff by us, but used for Subaru and Mitsubishi tuning by other guys). It's $170 plus shipping directly from Tactrix. (http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53)

We've searched all over for a cable that could write to the ECM for cheap and this was the cheapest cable we found.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.