Shift point change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Shift point change in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just bought a new 2012 CTS AWD with the 3.0L 270 hp V6, 6 speed auto. Is there any ...
    cadman1956 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS AWD 3.0L V6

Shift point change

I just bought a new 2012 CTS AWD with the 3.0L 270 hp V6, 6 speed auto.
    Is there any way to change the shift points? When you floor it, the rpms go way out of the power band before shifting. Shifting in manual mode really doesn't seem to do much.
    In the old days with my Camaro's with the 400 turbo's I would put in a shift kit and it helped alot. Now days is that still an option?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

racerx8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Shift point change

Vince@Trifectaperformance.com Vince has a program I used in my 2011 CTS4 3.6 DI auto I'm very happy with the results. I did some data logging and Vince further modified my shift points for me. Give him a shout.

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

racer-x what software are you using to datalog in your CTS? I wasn't aware there was anything like that available for our cars.

If Vince's Trifecta tune is installed there is a cable you can rent or purchase which allows you to data log on your laptop. The cable is needed to install the Trifecta program.

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

What kind of gain did you get with the tune? Is it worth the 400-600(includes EZ Flash) for the tune?

I have no real hp increase #'s though it feels a bit quicker than my son's 2010 CTS4 3.6. The shift points feel much better, firmer and I had Vince alter the firmness as well as the up/downshift points @mph between the regular vs. sport mode. Also with the torque management alterations the car will definitely feel much better. So YES, IMO it's worth the $$

sterling is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The torque is really the lagging factor in the performance of this car anyway, right?

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

I just bought this custom tune from Vince myself, with the USB to OBDII "ez-flash" cable.

I just flashed the tune he provided me with into my 2011 CTS Coupe AWD, but haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, to see how it feels. (I did it late last night, in the garage, before heading off to bed.) I know it downloaded changes to both the engine and the transmission, but I'm curious if it actually took info on the shift points into account that he learned from previous tunes (like yours), or if this is still some sort of "baseline" tune that he gives everybody to start with?

Would you happen to be able to share your recommendations as to exactly what MPH points you wound up finding best to use as shift-points?
    And when Vince makes these changes, does he typically only do them to the "performance mode" (when you shift the transmission over from "D" to the right, but still let the car shift itself vs. doing manual shifting)? Is the "D" mode left alone with factory settings?

Quote Originally Posted by racerx8 View Post
    Vince@Trifectaperformance.com Vince has a program I used in my 2011 CTS4 3.6 DI auto I'm very happy with the results. I did some data logging and Vince further modified my shift points for me. Give him a shout.

Kingtj here are the A6 shift points I had Vince/Trifecta program for my '11 CTS4 3.6DI

Revised upshift points @mph: Drive / Sport

1-2 > 14 / 18

2-3 > 24 / 30

3-4 > 34 / 38

4-5 > 42 / 49

5-6 > 52 / 55

Downshift in MPH 6-5 @ 52 5-4 @ 42 4-3 @ 34 3-2 @ 24 2-1 @ 14

I think this will take care of the A6 shifting patterns as I tried these upshifts/downshifts manually and they seem to keep the engine around 2000 rpm, of course this is for normal part throttle around town driving. The nice part about these shift points (up or down) is they keep the engine in a nice RPM range especially on a slow turn the A6 will downshift to a lower gear.
    kingtj and kingtj like this.

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

For those running this tune....

Can you please provide an update on your opinion of the power increase, the transmission tune, as well as perceived value, now that you've logged some miles. Do you still like it? Would you recommend it? Do you feel the price was fair, considering the results?

Thanks in advance, gents.

Well, to be honest, I haven't had a lot of opportunity to drive my car since I did the initial tune I was shipped from Trifecta. We had some snow and ice here and I've just been driving my Jeep to and from work all week.

I did make a quick run to the store and back in it though, and my very first impression was, honestly, a bit of disappointment. I really didn't feel like it was any faster. (By contrast, the custom tune I had done to my Hyundai Genesis Coupe when I owned it made a HUGE difference. They really improved the stock power curve so you felt like you had a lot more power when taking off from a dead stop or accelerating under partial throttle.)

My suspicion, however, is that a good part of what Trifecta tweaks has to do with full-throttle performance. I know with most modern fuel-injected and computerized vehicles, they have a "closed loop" and an "open loop" mode of operation. The "open loop" mode only happens at wide-open throttle, and it uses a whole separate internal table of parameters in the ECU from the logic and settings worked with in "closed loop" mode the rest of the time.

Mind you, this was just one trip on roads with a speed limit of 40MPH or so, only going a few miles each way. I'm just reporting the initial "seat of the pants" results I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-O-Neer View Post
    For those running this tune....

Can you please provide an update on your opinion of the power increase, the transmission tune, as well as perceived value, now that you've logged some miles. Do you still like it? Would you recommend it? Do you feel the price was fair, considering the results?

Thanks in advance, gents.

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    Well, to be honest, I haven't had a lot of opportunity to drive my car since I did the initial tune I was shipped from Trifecta. We had some snow and ice here and I've just been driving my Jeep to and from work all week.

I did make a quick run to the store and back in it though, and my very first impression was, honestly, a bit of disappointment. I really didn't feel like it was any faster. (By contrast, the custom tune I had done to my Hyundai Genesis Coupe when I owned it made a HUGE difference. They really improved the stock power curve so you felt like you had a lot more power when taking off from a dead stop or accelerating under partial throttle.)

My suspicion, however, is that a good part of what Trifecta tweaks has to do with full-throttle performance. I know with most modern fuel-injected and computerized vehicles, they have a "closed loop" and an "open loop" mode of operation. The "open loop" mode only happens at wide-open throttle, and it uses a whole separate internal table of parameters in the ECU from the logic and settings worked with in "closed loop" mode the rest of the time.

Mind you, this was just one trip on roads with a speed limit of 40MPH or so, only going a few miles each way. I'm just reporting the initial "seat of the pants" results I had.
    Thanks for the update. I'd love to hear more after you log some miles.

On a side note, mine was in for a rough idle and they reflashed to ECU. It feels like a different car. Idle is smooth, throttle tip-in is sportier, and acceleration is more linear and smoother. My problem is that I can't leave well enough alone. Every car I own, I tune. I'll probably succumb the my demons with this car too.

I'd love to hear opinions from more people on here though.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Just a heads-up... I don't want to rain on this parade.. but everyone here does realize (right?) that unauthorized changes made to the vehicle's calibrations (ECM or TCM) can be detected by dealer service folk. GM Bulletin #08-06-04-033C states the following:

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different from the calibrations that these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Link to full bulletin: http://www.mediafire.com/?8rf0if1ehtsuqgw

Pretty sure similar language can be found in practically all manufacturer's warranties someplace .....

Again though, I think much of this comes down to how much faith one has in the build quality of the vehicle they're driving. If a mild tune (giving maybe a 10 or 15HP gain and asking the transmission to shift a little earlier, instead of way up in the RPM range under hard acceleration) is going to cause driveline component failures, shame on GM for selling us such garbage!

They're always going to put all the legal CYA content in their paperwork to cover extreme cases that might come up. (Obviously, Cadillac doesn't want to be on the hook for buying new engines for people who did extreme tunes that damaged parts. That means the paperwork has to warn about ANY modifications, or else they'll have to fight with people over how much is still "acceptable" whenever there's a real problem.)

I guarantee the small changes something like Trifecta's tune gives (unless you're asking them to do something way out of the ordinary for you as a custom request?) shouldn't be breaking anything. If I had a driveline failure with this mild of a tune, I guess I'd just have to flash it back to stock settings before it went to the dealer? It's *always* been cautioned that performance mods should probably all be removed before cars go in for warranty service work, lest some over-zealous service writer or mechanic get lazy and try to blame the problem on the modification .....

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Just a heads-up... I don't want to rain on this parade.. but everyone here does realize (right?) that unauthorized changes made to the vehicle's calibrations (ECM or TCM) can be detected by dealer service folk. GM Bulletin #08-06-04-033C states the following:

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different from the calibrations that these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Link to full bulletin: http://www.mediafire.com/?8rf0if1ehtsuqgw
    Wag-O-Neer and Wag-O-Neer like this.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Hey guys.. I just wanted to provide a head's up, is all. If you want to modify your engine or transmission calibrations, then all power to you!
    Personally I wouldn't want to be jeopardizing any part of my 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper or 5-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

BTW.. are you 100% certain you can flash the calibrations back to the original GM stock settings without leaving some sort of trace of what's been done? If your car ever needs a replacement engine, transmission or other major driveline component you can be sure GM Tech (who would be the ones authorizing the warranty claim) will insist on seeing a full diagnostic/data download from the control module(s).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.