08 CTS AWD 3.6 DI Performance Mod Suggestions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 08 CTS AWD 3.6 DI Performance Mod Suggestions in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi Everyone, I just purchased a 2008 CTS AWD 3.6DI and want some suggestions for some modifications that will give ...
    ibcritn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD 3.6 DI

08 CTS AWD 3.6 DI Performance Mod Suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2008 CTS AWD 3.6DI and want some suggestions for some modifications that will give a little bit of performance.

I purchased:
    Replacement HID bulbs
    Borla Mufflers (having custom cat-back installed)

Any ideas on what to do next? Cold Air Intake? ECU Tuner?

I am coming from a 2005 WRX STI Stage 2 Turbo so I am adjusting to the speed loss and obviously want to add some inexpensive performance mods.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: 08 CTS AWD 3.6 DI Performance Mod Suggestions

Unfortunately the CTS does not have a whole lot to offer outside of intake and exhaust mods...

Just not well supported by the tuner community. I would love to see a supercharger/turbo option for the CTS someday...

D3 and KPE are the only two that really offer anything in terms of performance mods.

PS to everyone else, I got an email from KPE saying that in a week or so they will be releasing a video w/ their performance exhaust option. Should be good to see and hear what it sounds like.

ibcritn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD 3.6 DI

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I will add the Cold Air Intake for sure and poke around to find something to add some power as it comes out (if ever).

This car is a daily driver and not looking to add any large mods like force induction just yet.

If anyone has any suggestions I am still open.

Thanks!

skymynx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've heard good results about the Trifecta tune

Megathumper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 Luxury Sports

Not an expert but in reading about the 2nd gen car, I think I saw that the 6 sp auto is only rated for a couple dozen more hp's over 08 stock DI engine. Won't that be an limit on adding things like superchargers or turbos?

Of course I could be wrong. I am new to this car.

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

According to Wkipedia the 6L50 in our cars is good to 332 ft-lbs which would be a pretty sweet upgrade over the 273 (or 275 for 12s) we have now!

Dunno what the rest of the drivetrain can handle though...

Megathumper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 Luxury Sports

well it looks like I confused torque and HP numbers on the tranny....thanks...was going from memory. Still might be pushing my luck if I bumped it up to a little over 300. Which I would love to do. Supercharger sounds good... I think it would hold up for awhile but how long?
    I may be getting too old for hot rods... I am starting to think about how long I can make cars last instead of how much power I can get out of it.

From Wiki also.
    LLT

The 3.6 litre (3564 cc) LLT is a direct injected version based on the earlier LY7 engine. It was first unveiled in May 2006, and the DI version was claimed to have 15 percent greater power, 8 percent greater torque, and 3 percent better fuel economy than its port-injected counterpart. The LLT engine has a compression ratio of 11.4:1, and has been certified by the SAE to produce 302 horsepower (225 kW) at 6300 rpm and 272 lbft (369 Nm) of torque at 5200 rpm on regular unleaded (87 octane) gasoline. This engine debuted on the 2008 Cadillac STS and CTS.[9][10] GM will use a LLT in all 2009 Lambda-derived crossover SUVs to allow class-leading fuel economy in light of the new Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. In the Lambdas, LLT engine produces 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lbft (366 Nm) of torque.[11][12][13]

Applications:
    Year(s) Model Power Torque
    20082011 Cadillac CTS 304 hp (227 kW) @ 6400 rpm 273 lbft (370 Nm) @ 5200 rpm

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

Funny thing is on that same page they have the 2009-present Enclave listed at 270 ft-lbs at 3400rpm. Wonder if that's accurate and if it is how they got the peak so low?

tmboulanger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you have any posts about your exhaust? I have a 2009 AWD and I can't find an aftermarket exhaust for this car. KPE has a pretty cool sounding axle back, but its almost $1000, and I can't get any dyno tests out of them.

How did the borla mufflers work out?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

There really isn't much in the exhaust world for awd

08BlueCTSDI is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Glad im not the only one feeling the power woes. Had stage 3 legacy gt spec b before my 08 di awd as well,2.5 months later still getting use to the lack of zip

windzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 08BlueCTSDI View Post
    Glad im not the only one feeling the power woes. Had stage 3 legacy gt spec b before my 08 di awd as well,2.5 months later still getting use to the lack of zip
    LOL I'm glad to see another (former) LGT'r here
    My 05 LGT was stage 2, but blew up. I had been worried about it's oil consumption for a while and had brought it to no less than 3 mechanics regarding concerns about that issue.

Anyway, despite my vigilance, and strict 3000k oil changes, it died with 50k on the rebuilt motor, also the transmission was going, and I think it would need a new turbo soon (mechanic checked it and said it was fine, minimal shaft play, but they said the engine was fine to, and boom it went 3k after I had them look over it)

Ok so enough about the subaru legacy. I bought a RWD version and I do not have the DI engine. I think with powertrain loss and weight of the extra diff the awd DI and RWD non DI would likely feel similar in performance.
    personally it feels about what my legacy wagon did stock.

I would love some input on weather some of the available mods for the DI engine would also produce some gains for the non DI, I know the spacer for the headers supposedly fits, but I havent heard if anyone has actually done it.
    anyone with thoughts on the non DI version?

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Non DI LY7 only have the iceolator and soon to be released CNC ported TB for HP gains. The DI LLT & LFX have turbo, twin turbo, centri SC, and top mount SC. and lots of other mods depending on the goals.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.