2009 CTS Engine Swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 2009 CTS Engine Swap in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, i'm new to this threads. I currently have an 09 CTS AWD . The engine in it is a ...
    WaldosCts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS09(AWD)

2009 CTS Engine Swap

Hi, i'm new to this threads. I currently have an 09 CTS AWD . The engine in it is a 3.6L vvt and i was wondering if i would be able to swap it with a 3.6 L DFI (from a 2008) which is also from an AWD CTS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: 2009 CTS Engine Swap

I don't see why not. The bottom ends should be identical so there is a possibility that you will only need to swap out the top end and engine computer.

00blueYZF is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

WaldoCTS:

Are you looking to upgrade to the SIDI (LLT engine)? Or rebuild your PFI engine (LY7)?

To swap in the DI engine, you'd need to reprogram all of the other modules to communicate with the DI controller (believe me, not an easy task) and that's not getting into the torque control differences in the TCM (change shift points, etc for the extra torque). If you really want to go this route, you'd be better off finding an entire powertrain with engine, trans, ECM, TCM, and wiring. Then you'll only have to reprogram the body, fuel system, and brake controllers plus maybe a couple other tweaks that slip my mind right now. Normally, I'd say to mask out the stuff you don't need and run it as a standalone without ABS, traction control, theft, etc, but this is getting harder to do these days. Especially with the BOSCH controllers in these V6's.

On the other hand, if you want to know because you need to rebuild your bottom end: the rotating assembly is different on the DI motors. They are balanced differently and the pistons have a shaped dish for spray guiding, plus compression bumps from 10.2:1 to 11.3:1. While you may get it to physically fire, you'll throw trouble codes left and right and it will probably never run right.

Anything can be done with enough time, money, and persistence. Whether its worth it in the end is always my determining factor. If you really want to pursue it, let me know and I'll dig up some more info.

00blueYZF is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I addressed this one a while back. Its entirely possible but would require a bit of persistence to get it all done right.
    See my answer here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2582832

EDIT: Sorry replied in the wrong thread. Was trying to link this thread to a new one

DISCLAIMER:
    I am a GM employee. My opinions do not represent those of the company.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.