lowering springs for CTS 2008+ AWD - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, lowering springs for CTS 2008+ AWD in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; For those that have AWD coupes, I just found this online: http://www.tunersdepot.com/Suspensio...AWD-95666.html It is the eibach pro-kit specifically for AWD ...
    MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Re: lowering springs for CTS 2008+ AWD

For those that have AWD coupes, I just found this online:

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Suspensio...AWD-95666.html

It is the eibach pro-kit specifically for AWD CTS Coupe the part number is: EB-38147.140

It clearly states for AWD model only...

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

I have no interest in lowering my AWD sedan, but I have alot of exerience lowering cars for road racing and lifting 4x4s for off road use.

If the rest of the suspension is left alone, includuing the bump stops, the drive lines will not be over extended or over angled (pinched) since the overall travel distances will not change. However, your available up travel over bumps in the road will be reduced. This will result in smaller bumps causing the suspension to hit the stops. This will make the ride very rough and upset the handling when the bump stops are contacted. Stiffer spring rates can help with this some, but then that just makes the ride that much more harsh even before you hit the stops. To truely lower it right without effecting up travel vs down travel and make handling improvements, you will need to get slightly shorter shocks as well as get shocks valved for the spring rates you intend to use. Variable rate springs make this nearly impossible. The CTS V has the magnetic fluid shocks which can be tuned through programming and can be made to match a wide variety of sping rates.

If your lower jsut for looks, then I guess none of this matters. If your lowering to make handling gains, know what your doing before you start or you'll probably just make it worse rather than better.

robbiejmofo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS, 3.6l, AWD

Well I contacted Eibach's 1.800 number (1-800-507-2338) and spoke with a representative and he mentioned to me that they have just not tested a Cadillac with AWD and so they don't have the spring compressions on file. My guess is how much the springs will lower with possibly the added weight of the AWD or transfer case in the front and as well in my case the bigger 3.6L. I noticed that a few on here have tried it and i am going to lean this way as well. I have the FE2 suspension so I am confident it will work. I don't believe it has anything to do with the drive train or other components in speaking with him. Just not statistical data.

If You have the FE3 suspension it sounds like from the website you will need non self leveling dampeners if equipt. I will attach the link and comments as well.

PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)
    # 38136.140

Front: 0.8 in
    Rear: 1.0 in
    Footnotes: Vehicles Equipped With Self-leveling Rear Dampers Must Replace With Non Self-leveling Dampers Such As Fe1 Or Fe2 Dampers To Properly Lower.

http://performance-suspension.eibach...ookup_products

So I called Eibach as well on these 11-12 suggested models and they stated that they are still in the prototype phase possibly available near the end of this year... maybe... The main reason being is that they don't rarely see to many AWD down in southern California. I would imagine if they became available they would work for the 2008 and up as well, but maybe someone else would know more about that. I believe the spring setup is still the same. They will not market until they have certified there testing with the final conclusion. He didn't say that they wouldn't work just haven't been tested.

So my conclusion is vehicle weight in the front. Would anyone have knowledge of weight difference. ie. 3.6L and AWD.

Thoughts??

One other thing i must add quick as well is that the part number PRO-KIT Performance Springs #38136.140 is for the 3.6L as tested so the only other vehicle weight in my opinion would be the FWD set up in the AWD.

Phewff i'm tired....i'm gonna stop typing. lol

Cyrus212 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a 2008 CTS4 AWD. I've been reading forms. I see that they make a AWD kit for the 11-12 models. Is there a kit for my car yet or is everyone going with a different kit that still works?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus212
    I have a 2008 CTS4 AWD. I've been reading forms. I see that they make a AWD kit for the 11-12 models. Is there a kit for my car yet or is everyone going with a different kit that still works?
    Hey Cyrus, i have the same year, make, and vehicle as well and the guys are going with the EB38136.14 model for the 2008-2012 model

The EB38147.14 model of Eibach is listed on there website for the 2011-2012, but don't exist yet as indicated in the top thread.

Conclusion EB38136.14 is what will have to be used. I am lowering it tom and will let you know how it goes.
    Cyrus212 and Cyrus212 like this.

Awesome man, let me know how it goes if it even goes on and any pointers if need be to avoid any issues.. i assume you bought the kit for the 2008-2010 RWD model?

Well how did it turn out??

Cuevas9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that they do make springs that work for the CTS AWD i called D3 Cadillac and they said that there D3 Sport Springs do work with the AWD

rockryno is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS, 2009 Yamaha R1
    Yea how did it go? I've heard the eibachs are making our cars sit ass low. Post up some pics.

Late reply...

Hey Guys, I just wanted to let you know that the springs worked great with no issues at all. So those of you who have the AWD with either engine will not have to worry. It made for great handling and even better in the winter conditions. Just make sure you get the wheel alignment done after.

Sorry i don't actually have any pictures and actually just sold the car after having it this summer and into the fall/ winter. Because of my love for the CTS i sold the base model and picked up a 08' Premium (base>luxury>performance>premium). The rare burgandy with the gun metal rims. I will post picks shortly on my profile.

----------

Hey Cyrus, yes it was the RWD kit purchased!!! They worked great no issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.