has anyone tried a K&N drop in filter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, has anyone tried a K&N drop in filter in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; im picking up a 2011 cts 3.6di awd this afternoon, and was thinking about dropping in a k&n stock filter. ...
    maxim12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

has anyone tried a K&N drop in filter

im picking up a 2011 cts 3.6di awd this afternoon, and was thinking about dropping in a k&n stock filter. has anyone tried this with positive results?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

Re: has anyone tried a K&N drop in filter

There isn't any difference. You'll basically spend $60 on a filter and get nothing but a sticker you can see. It won't rev any faster or get any better mpgs. Oh don't forget the risk of getting oil on your MAF.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I have always used a K&N filter in every car I have owned. You will hear good and bad. Too much oil is the one heard so often and of course the price. True I don't know if my mpgs are up or if my HP has increased but IMO they work, they are worth the money and I never have to worry about replacing the paper filter. All of the induction kits use some sort or reusable filter so maybe there is a benefit. I think you will hear as many horror stories as success stories. As I said, I've used them in 9 Corvettes to trucks and econoboxes and have never had a problem.
    Good luck on your new ride. Enjoy.

maxim12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks...i know what your saying. iv'e used them twice before. once on a 20
    02 maxima, and on a 2006 avalon. i thought i noticed a slight difference in power, but each car, and stock filter is different. i never expected better mileage though. i would think that if the cars computer senses more air coming in (heard this takes about 5 days) it would add more fuel, resulting in poorer mileage. maybe i''l just save the $60.

I had it on my I30t (maxima) and I35 and it helped, but on the cadillac's i've had it didn't seem to make much of a difference. If you keep your car for 100k miles it will save you money, but that's about it. The intake is WELL designed in our cars already. If you want better performance, try an intake (i make no guarantees though).

roadracer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

I've always added a K&N to every vehicle I've owned. Not sure if I will add one my CTS, but if I decide to upgrade the exhaust system then I may just do that. I've always had great success with them. Just got to watch the dealer guys on maintenance to be sure they don't swipe it out from under the hood.

It's not really worth it on our cars.

phsiv1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

I've used a K & N in every vehicle to date and have loved them.. I purchased a 2011 CTS Coupe a couple of weeks ago and replaced the filter and it did nothing! Not worth it and if you notice they don't make a cold air intake for it.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I have used K&N filters in my 2 previous cars. I did not notice any difference and went back to paper based filters. In my opinion they are not worth the money and hassle. Get a good paper based filter, replace it once a year and forget anything else. Unless you are after the placebo effect
    Homerjay71 and Homerjay71 like this.

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Thumbs up I agree ...

... I agree with MoFex.
    Homerjay71 and Homerjay71 like this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I've always used them, I guess it's just a habit by now.

Quote Originally Posted by phsiv1 View Post
    I've used a K & N in every vehicle to date and have loved them.. I purchased a 2011 CTS Coupe a couple of weeks ago and replaced the filter and it did nothing! Not worth it and if you notice they don't make a cold air intake for it.
    I thought the front end of all CTS 2nd gen were the same? Should be able to fit the KPE/D3/etc intake in there.

roadracer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

I have a K&N in my '09 CTS. I can tell the difference in acceleration. I've used K&N in all of my cars and trucks. I have noticed my gas mileage average is about 1mpg less when using the K&N. I think this is due to a better torque response. As long as you keep your foot out of it, you should do fine. Me, I don't keep my foot out of it.

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

I put in a K&N a couple of weeks ago in my coupe. I figured the car needed a filter change after 14k or so miles but the stock paper filter was still pretty clean... I put in the K&N anyway since it was a pain in the ass to do and I'm not going to take the time to take apart the airbox in a couple of months. Haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage or performance though. If there is one it's minimal and not typically something you'll notice SOTP.

The other thing is I have a SLP intake on my camaro which has dual K&N filters so I already have the filter recharger kit, I'll do them at the same time from now on.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

You cannot see any difference in mileage or performance. Remember the air flow is monitored and computer adjust fuel injection to keep the ratio right. Even with dirty air filters you are not going to notice any fuel economy deterioration.

Yes, dirty filters might affect high RPM HP but thats all.

As I said before - placebo effect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.