3.6L DI CTS Power Mod Discussion - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 3.6L DI CTS Power Mod Discussion in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; It should die, I really can't for the life of me understand why you would buy a v6 camaro, and ...
    brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Re: 3.6L DI CTS Power Mod Discussion

It should die, I really can't for the life of me understand why you would buy a v6 camaro, and then start modding the engine for HP. Just buy a v8. I almost understand it for us, because there is a 250hp gap in engines and upwards of $30,000 difference in price (base to V).

SilverSniper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 Black Ice 3.6 DI CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by brothleutner View Post
    It should die, I really can't for the life of me understand why you would buy a v6 camaro, and then start modding the engine for HP. Just buy a v8. I almost understand it for us, because there is a 250hp gap in engines and upwards of $30,000 difference in price (base to V).
    No Camaro for me. I need awd up here in Edmonton for winter, other wise I would just buy a 2006 CTS-V. I just wanted to get feedback on the canned tunes & since their engines are the same, troll for some possible mod idea's. There is very little here on this forum.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSniper View Post
    but I did a 2006 CTS-V on the dyno, with the LS2 and it gained *45* HP with a tune.
    Sorry I am late to this party.

I don't think I would listen to this guy. I have spent the last 4 years hanging out in the V forum, and anyone who got that much with a tune, killed their drive-ability. And I mean, murdered it, dead. Of course most V and Corvette guys don't care about drive-ability, they just want fast.

I don't think you are ever going to get much support for this engine. It's a "high feature" engine, meaning high cost, meaning most applications for this engine are into cars not likely to be modded. In the case of the Camaro, almost no one is going to mod an LT, else they would have bought the SS. (although I have seen some guys in the Camaro forums pining for a REAL supercharger kit)

And as a Camaro LT owner, I can tell you, the stock exhaust is very loud, and very raspy. Not like an aftermarket exhaust mind you, but it is probably the loudest factory exhaust I have heard.

I don't see any gains from an aftermarket exhaust. On a side note, Corsa has a catback for this engine (custom fit to the Camaro anyway) that makes it sound almost like a small V8, if sound is what you are after.

Good of you to chime in.
    From Camaro LT to SS there really isn't that much of a price jump as opposed to the CTS jump to the CTS-V.
    I've resigned that there isn't much that can be done to this engine other than CAI & maybe a custom cat back exhaust (AWD). I would love to see a CTS on a dyno before & after Vince's tune though! LOL

csementuh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD Raven Black

Good of you to chime in.
    From Camaro LT to SS there really isn't that much of a price jump as opposed to the CTS jump to the CTS-V.
    I've resigned that there isn't much that can be done to this engine other than CAI & maybe a custom cat back exhaust (AWD). I would love to see a CTS on a dyno before & after Vince's tune though! LOL
    Yessir, that is about what I've decided on as well. So far I'm happy enough with the CAI. It doesn't do much, but a tiny bit. I doubt I'll mess with the exhaust on this car. The CAI opens it up a little, and I don't want loud or raspy. This car is too nice to mod much. I may still get a tune though. There won't be a before/after dyno, but I can at least tell you what the butt dyno feels.

That would be great. Feed back is always good. Any idea when you might do the tune?

csementuh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD Raven Black

^ It's still a big if. Not sure when. If I ever do I'll report back. I might decide to nix the idea though and put the money into other projects. The car gets worse enough gas mileage now, I'm not so sure I want to have to run 93 and fill up more often.

It also leaves me with a bad taste having to spend $300-500 for a canned tune that I can't modify when I own HP Tuners Pro and could easily tune it myself, but that company won't support the car...

Ohh well. There are two Trifecta 'dealers' within an hour of me, so I will talk to them. I believe you can get a tune off them for around $300, but that still wouldn't cover the additional cost of the cable and software to convert back to a stock tune (which is another $100-200 just to be able to go back). I'd like to see if there is a 'satisfation guarantee' or something as well. If the tune doesn't do much or has bad driveability, I don't want stuck with it...

Good of you to chime in.
    Not as much as you think. A fully loaded CTS goes for almost $60k, where the V tops out just over $70k. Both are too expensive for my blood. Fast resale drop was the only reason I got into either.

There is about $10k difference between the LT and SS. And quite the opposite of the CTS; I bought my Camaro new because used Camaros are not much cheaper right now.

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    Yessir, that is about what I've decided on as well. So far I'm happy enough with the CAI. It doesn't do much, but a tiny bit. I doubt I'll mess with the exhaust on this car. The CAI opens it up a little, and I don't want loud or raspy. This car is too nice to mod much. I may still get a tune though. There won't be a before/after dyno, but I can at least tell you what the butt dyno feels.
    It definitely gets raspy. Magnaflows + xpipe and theres rasp at the top end if you rev it.

Here is the magnaflow on the Camaro. It sounds amazing.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/dom...maroV6red.html

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

I wouldn't call that amazing, it's alright. My exhaust sounds like that, maybe a little deeper since my exhaust is longer, and has an xpipe. It's definitely not a V8

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    I wouldn't call that amazing, it's alright. My exhaust sounds like that, maybe a little deeper since my exhaust is longer, and has an xpipe. It's definitely not a V8
    I'm relatively new here & would like to know- Is your CTS rwd? Do you have cat back with X pipe? Any pics or sound clips? If you had a chance to do over would still go with D3 CAI or which one instead?
    Thanks

87stocker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 cts4 loaded

For any of you that have cars that want a tune in Alberta. Call Joel at Paynton Performance for a custom tune. He has tuned my truck and I wouldnt live without it. www.payntonperformance.com

Doclove524 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Anyone have any concrete info regarding HP gains with the use of the Black Ice-olater intake spacer,
    Supposedly 20 - 25 hp gain??

underpsi68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Doclove524 View Post
    Anyone have any concrete info regarding HP gains with the use of the Black Ice-olater intake spacer,
    Supposedly 20 - 25 hp gain??
    I don't buy the hp claims myself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.