3.6L DI CTS Power Mod Discussion - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 3.6L DI CTS Power Mod Discussion in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; The tune as stated above is really not worth a whole lot of power, maybe 5-10whp. I have never spoken ...
    csementuh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD Raven Black

Re: 3.6L DI CTS Power Mod Discussion

The tune as stated above is really not worth a whole lot of power, maybe 5-10whp. I have never spoken to someone who has actually gotten the tune however, so the driveability and low end power may make the car feel much different.

As fas as a CAI is concerned, I recently purchased the KPE CAI, and it is very nice. I didn't notice much of a power increase, but the extra sound and throttle response is decent. I have an AWD car and it seems that most if not all of the aftermarket bolt on exhaust system won't fit because of interference with the front transfer case. I'm also not sure how thrilled I am to make the nice quiet luxury car, a bit loud and obnoxious. It just certainly won't sound as nice as the TVS blown V8 of the CTS-V!

SilverSniper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 Black Ice 3.6 DI CTS4

Thanks for the link. Here is the reply from Vince.
    Hi John,

On a 2010 Camaro V6 with the same engine we gained 23HP and 17TQ at the wheels with a tune. Yes, we can ship via USPS to Canada, and the price is $435 shipping (using the EZ Flash cable), plus an additional security deposit of $200 which is refunded when you return the equipment.

That seems a little rich but I think the improved driveability will be quite noticeable. I will have some more emails for Vince.

I have Magnaflows on my Supercharged '06 Eclipse with 3" pipe. Sounds freakin awesome.

Glad Vince got back to you. Only problem is that a Camaro has a different intake and I'm sure a much less restrictive exhaust. It is certainly not the exact same setup. That right there could account for a good portion of the power. I've heard before that the real gains are somewhere around 10hp max. It is unfortunate, but with an intake, exhaust, and tune, you likely still wont crack 300 wheel HP.

Ya, that Magnaflows sound decent, I had a 3" setup on a supercharged Cobalt SS that was nice.

Wow, that works out to be $40.00/HP. Have to question Vince. at least he is a vendor that replies to your emails!

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

I was the one who posted those tranny specs (http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...2010/gmna/Spec Sheet/Transmissions/2010 Automatics/10_6L50_MYB_n.xls) and would love to see how D3 is making that survive. My bet is that it doesn't long term. Stinks that the current output is so close to the limits.

Thanks for reposting those specs.

Honesly the trans wouldn't be a huge concern of mine. As long as you weren't constantly beating on it I would imagine it would survive just fine under some decent power.

Think about the ratings... That rating is what GM is willing to warrant for many many miles, and have the lowest amount of warranty claims... It is certainly under-rated by a sizeable safety factor.

I have talked to people who work for pinion/rear-end/trans companies and the testing that some/most units undergo is a max torque load type of test that would be equivalent to neutral dropping a tranny repeatedly over and over again. Most units survive this test hundreds of times before failure. If an OEM specs out that a unit has to pass 100 tests, many units will exceen 400+ tests which would be a huge safety margin.

Don't get me wrong, hopping up the power and then beating on the car will certainly shorten the life of many components, I just don't see the trans being a terrible problem with this car. I could be entirely wrong, but I've never seen any hard evidence of a trans/diff/transfer case problem. The only bad thing is that the AWD system might not be as strong as a RWD CTS.

Ya, I don't see many tranny problems with the low power/torque increases we may find out there in the after market community.
    Here are my last emails with Vince.

Hi Vince

On the Cadillac forum people say that the camaro has better intake & exhaust thus the 23hp gain & that the Cadillac 3.6 DI will only get maybe a 10 hp gain. Have you tuned a Cadillac 3.6 DI engine?

Thanks

John

Reply-
    Yes, we’ve tuned them remotely but I don’t have any dyno results.

The 23HP gain on the Camaro was due to fuel ratio optimizations. Every car will vary, some will gain more than others but it has absolutely nothing to do with the intake and exhaust system. Not that’s it is a apples to apples comparison, but I did a 2006 CTS-V on the dyno, with the LS2 and it gained *45* HP with a tune. I’ve tuned plenty of LS2 Corvettes and none of them came close to that kind of gain. The notion that the Cadillac would somehow get less of a gain from tuning because of differences between it and the Camaro makes no sense at all.

- Vince Geglia

Trifecta Performance, Inc.

He sounds sure of his tunes.

^ No offense, but Vince is trying to sell a tuning solution, so he will tell you just about anything... Not that he isn't a good guy, it's just the logic isn't there. To gain that kind of power from a tune with no other mods is a bit of the stretch of the imagination. Vince himself admitted that there was very little power gains on this engine. He said this on one of the Camaro forums I believe. If I ever see the post again I'll post it up.

The comparison is pretty bad... The CTS-V has a TVS blower sitting on a V8, and will gain almost that much power from a simple cold air intake *without* a tune... Other mods really open up that car. Comparing a forced induction engine is not even close to that of a naturally aspirated engine.

I would be optimistic about power mods for this car, but I'm being realistic. Without forced induction there is little power to be had. With intake and exhaust and a tune you'd be lucky to see wheel HP that matched the rated stock brake HP. Drivetrain losses are bad and the car sees something like 260 wheel horsepower stock. It's a bit of a stretch to think an intake, exhaust, and tune would give 40 wheel horsepower.

I'm going to bug him to get a CTS 3.6 DI tuned & dyno'ed. Maybe well get lucky & he'll fined someone.

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Thanks for the continued discussion with Vince.

That Camaro link was a decent read. I do recall however reading a thread somewhere where Vince himself had commented that the LLT in the CTS didn't have a very big gain. I could be completely wrong? I'll try and find it somewhere...

The base engine is the same, however other factors could come into play which could make for less of a gain in the CTS versus the Camaro.

I would certainly be curious to see a before and after dyno on a stock and Trifecta tuned 3.6 CTS. I'll stay slightly optimistic for now lol.

Ya, thanks for the link. Now to finish reading it

Quote Originally Posted by brothleutner View Post
    I wonder why this thread died Feb. of last year?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSniper View Post
    I wonder why this thread died Feb. of last year?
    Hard to say... I believe Vince at Trifecta is still the only one tuning these engines... So development is at a permanent standstill likely.

Actually after I posted the question why that thread was dead it sprung back to life.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.