P0008 Code
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, P0008 Code in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Guys, just got this code in my 08. Looks like it was linked to timing chains on the 07's. Taking ...
    agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

P0008 Code

Guys, just got this code in my 08. Looks like it was linked to timing chains on the 07's. Taking it to the dealer to have it look at, but just thought I would see if anyone had any experience with this on the 2nd gen models.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blackduallie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts4

Re: P0008 Code

Not sure about the code but my engine light came on and ended up being the timing chains . Dealer fixed it under warranty now the light is gone . Apparently the early production model had a faulty chain that would stretch , car had 24000 miles on it.

hasicruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6DI

I have the same problem with my car, the MIL came on several times.

The dealer ordered the neccessary parts. We are still waiting for the parts, here in europe, the delivery times are much longer the in US... But the dealer tells me, its no problem to drive the car. Milage of my CTS now, ~45000km, about 26700 miles.

dboat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I too had the engine light come on and had to have the timing chain replaced under warranty. Just got it back today.. my concern is, since when should a timing chain get stretched out too far in 30k miles? and am I going to have to do this again in another 30k miles? I am thinking trade in at this point.

Dana

I agree with you, I'm at 40k here and had 190k on my trailblazer and barely even touched the thing the whole time we owned it. Better not be a continual deal, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by agreif View Post
    I agree with you, I'm at 40k here and had 190k on my trailblazer and barely even touched the thing the whole time we owned it. Better not be a continual deal, that's for sure.
    As I am reading more about this.. it appears that it MIGHT be an early 2008 problem and that the fix is to change the chain(s) and that fixes it.. but who knows just yet..

Dana

dominic cio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 DI AWD Sport Luxury

I just changed the chains at my car under warranty. everythink is perfect now with the engine. It take one day to change it. I have 77000 km on odometer. Our dealer from Romania said he change chains to 12 cars until now, and nobody had other problems regarding that, after.

Roger G. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 08 CTS4 3.6DI

Unfortunately, they only change the chains and whatever necessary if the code is set. No preliminary work will be doen to the car even if it is one of the VIN that might get the problem. I only have 12'000km on the 2008 and I'm afraid that the problem may occur just when the warranty has expired (3 years in Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger G. View Post
    Unfortunately, they only change the chains and whatever necessary if the code is set. No preliminary work will be doen to the car even if it is one of the VIN that might get the problem. I only have 12'000km on the 2008 and I'm afraid that the problem may occur just when the warranty has expired (3 years in Europe).
    I would consider purchasing an extended warranty if they are offered. I plan on buying one soon.

Dana

Roger G. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 08 CTS4 3.6DI

I just noted that this has been posted under the performance mods section I assume that you have added any performance stuff and got the P0008 code. What exactly was added ?

@Dana: Unfortunately, there is no extended warranty plan available here

NOthing added here, guess General Discussion woudl have worked too.

EdDaly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V6 3.6L DOHC

Had the same thing happen to me and I just got back from my auto repair guy who quoted me a price to replace my timing chain at around 1800.00.
    I have a 2007 STS V6 3.6L with 51,500 miles and no extended warranty, with the exception of the engine light on the car seems to be running fine, should I go for the repair or wait until the car starts to fail?

Yonaga is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

With 51,000 miles I'd ask the dealer to replace it under warranty; see the zone rep if the dealer balks. To answer your question, if it is really going bad, replace it YESTERDAY before a valve meets a piston.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

This code now will be handled by an ECM update and a change to the oil life monitoring system requiring more oil changes. No timing chain replacements as done before. This allows a bit more "stretch" before a check engine light comes on that what was originally programmed.

garbal54 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX w/ luxury sport package

Quote Originally Posted by EdDaly View Post
    Had the same thing happen to me and I just got back from my auto repair guy who quoted me a price to replace my timing chain at around 1800.00.
    I have a 2007 STS V6 3.6L with 51,500 miles and no extended warranty, with the exception of the engine light on the car seems to be running fine, should I go for the repair or wait until the car starts to fail?
    You will lose power and start burning more fuel. On moderate hills my 2006 SRX would downshift to third gear at highway speeds. Get it fixed ASAP if I were you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.