Big news, Lingenfelter is working on a supercharger for our V6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Big news, Lingenfelter is working on a supercharger for our V6 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; The proof is in the youtube vid ( I also posted this in the last generation forum, but I figured ...
    Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

Big news, Lingenfelter is working on a supercharger for our V6

The proof is in the youtube vid ( I also posted this in the last generation forum, but I figured you guys would want to know)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn9UyiAIGJM&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Big news, Lingenfelter is working on a supercharger for our V6

Pretty cool. Looks like they are using the Rotrex blower. We looked at that design and didnt like that we couldnt use a reverse rotation. It was a plumbing nightmare. The packaging in the Camaro looks a little different also....

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Lingenfelter has enjoyed great success over the years, especially on Chevy products. If their setup works on the Camaro with the same engine as the CTS, then I think it will be a well thought out,workable and fun option. If plumbing is the only concern, I'm sure they will figure it out. I can't wait to see it happen.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I hope Lingenfelter will put some time in developing a solution for the CTS. I am interested!

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

70Eldo,

The 2010 camaro v-6 is the same engine as is in the cts, the same block as all of the 3.6L cts's.

If it works for the 2010 camaro then it should work for our cars with little to no modification.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    70Eldo,

The 2010 camaro v-6 is the same engine as is in the cts, the same block as all of the 3.6L cts's.

If it works for the 2010 camaro then it should work for our cars with little to no modification.
    I want to believe that it requires minimal to no modification to use that setup in the CTS. I just want to see it work first.

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

I emailed Lingenfelter about working on the V6 CTS in conjunction w/ the Camaro and they said they aren't looking at it right now. Might be helpful if more people emailed and expressed interest.

carnuted is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

by the time it is bought and installed, it would be cheaper to buy and mod the V8.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by carnuted View Post
    by the time it is bought and installed, it would be cheaper to buy and mod the V8.
    This is really kinda my thoughts. If you buy the V6 and put a S/C on it, S/Cers tend to produce about 100 HP extra. So the car will be something a little over 400 HP (420 maybe). But now you have a Camaro and a drivetrain with no warranty, or at a minimum the opportunity for the dealership to deny the warranty claims on the drivetrain, and you've spent several thousand dollars to void that warranty. When you could have just bought the Camaro SS and still have close to the same HP and no voided warranty ?

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Stop making sense immediately, CIWS.

History bears out that people buy the cheaper car so they have a lower payment, then spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make it look like, sound like, or accelerate somewhat like the better version. It never crosses most of their minds that they could have simply taken the money they're dumping into body conversions and forced induction and used it as a down payment. Then they'd own the better looks and performance right out of the box, retained factory warranty and still had the same payment.

No, it does not make any sense at all. Yes however, it does happen every day.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Stop making sense immediately, CIWS.

History bears out that people buy the cheaper car so they have a lower payment, then spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make it look like, sound like, or accelerate somewhat like the better version. It never crosses most of their minds that they could have simply taken the money they're dumping into body conversions and forced induction and used it as a down payment. Then they'd own the better looks and performance right out of the box, retained factory warranty and still had the same payment.

No, it does not make any sense at all. Yes however, it does happen every day.
    I'll focus on people with CTSs and not Camaros.

Opposing arguments presented assume the people considering this are still under warranty and/or are planning to install the S/C prior to the end of their warranty. I already have 30K miles on my 2008 and suspect it won't be much longer until my original drivetrain warranty is no longer valid.

Assumption 2 is the cost of a supercharger kit (let's call it $5K on average) would make up the difference in payments between a $39K CTS (what I paid for mine exactly how I configured it when I ordered it) and the next vehicle option I would want with more power, the CTS-V (wth an approx. cost as I would want it configured of $62K). I don't have to pull out the calculator to know a $5K additional down payment won't close the $23K purchase price gap to bring me to the same payments I have now.

So, to some of us who might want a little more uummph or just enjoy the idea of modding their CTS to fit their taste, the option of adding a supercharger might just be the completely sensible answer both in terms of performance and economics. While I haven't looked closely at Camaro pricing between the V6 and SS, there may be similar situations that make the idea of purchasing a V-6 and adding a supercharger down the line the right answer. To assume it doesn't make sense given everyone's individual desires and economic situation is a pretty big assumption.

An FYI, your drivetrain warranty lasts longer than your standard warranty. It's 5 years and 100K miles so it would appear you have several more years of it left.

Camaro SS is 32.5K and a base Camaro with nothing on it is 23.5K. So consider the cost of the S/C itself, then having it installed and finally paying to have the car tuned for the S/C and see how close that comes to the price difference in the cars. Also there is a lot of difference between the standard models and the performance models in both cars besides the HP of the engine (brakes, suspension, etc).
    Now if someone is close to the end of their warranty or out of warranty then it really doesn't matter how much you mod the car, it's yours to fix no matter what breaks. But owning one of these cars without a warranty can become very costly when something does break.

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    An FYI, your drivetrain warranty lasts longer than your standard warranty. It's 5 years and 100K miles so it would appear you have several more years of it left.

Camaro SS is 32.5K and a base Camaro with nothing on it is 23.5K. So consider the cost of the S/C itself, then having it installed and finally paying to have the car tuned for the S/C and see how close that comes to the price difference in the cars. Also there is a lot of difference between the standard models and the performance models in both cars besides the HP of the engine (brakes, suspension, etc).
    Now if someone is close to the end of their warranty or out of warranty then it really doesn't matter how much you mod the car, it's yours to fix no matter what breaks. But owning one of these cars without a warranty can become very costly when something does break.

Thanks for the reminder on the warranty - I was still thinking 50K miles.

I am very aware of the other parts that make up a performance car package; I used to race my Corvette and have a good deal of experience w/ performance modifications. I also fully understand what you're saying and I agree there are instances when it doesn't make pure economical sense for certain cars. I probably would go for the SS in the case of the Camaro, but the supercharger is a very attractive solution for cars where there is such a huge jump in price between the base and performance model such as the CTS and CTS-V. An FE3 3.6 DI CTS (like mine) w/ a supercharger will make a formidable performance sedan for a fairly reasonable amount of money.

I also agree it is generally unwise to void a warranty, but that is a personal cost benefit analysis one has to make. Given one's desire for say more torque out of their solid performing and generally economical V6, perhaps the benefit of the desired performance versus the risk of actually needing a warranty repair might be worth it.

I guess my point is, when it comes to peoples' cars and the investments they choose to make in them, it is nearly impossible to apply a universal definition of "sensibility." I just hope the current trend we're seeing out of Washington to define what is and isn't sensible for everyone doesn't make its way much deeper into the automotive marketplace or companies like Lingenfelter will cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLapCoastie View Post
    I guess my point is, when it comes to peoples' cars and the investments they choose to make in them, it is nearly impossible to apply a universal definition of "sensibility."
    With car performance fanatics, sensibility ? Naaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by OneLapCoastie View Post
    I just hope the current trend we're seeing out of Washington to define what is and isn't sensible for everyone doesn't make its way much deeper into the automotive marketplace or companies like Lingenfelter will cease to exist.
    Good companies like Ling are pretty safe I think. There's always those that have enough cash they do not care about warranties (or plain just don't care), and by the time those wear out the vehicles are close to or out of warranty anyway and then its game on with mods. The 04-07 CTS-V has reached that point. The 04s and most 05s are reaching the end of the standard warranty and can be purchased at the 20K mark. A great performance car with a few kinks that the aftermarket has stepped up to improve or fix and can be pretty seriously modified.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

OneLap,

Your post makes perfect sense. I was referring more to the people who post up looking for supercharger kits and V nose conversions within weeks or months of buying a new V6 CTS (which happens all the time). Replicating all the differences between the two cars probably costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-$35k to do it right, and a yet a new V is only about $15,000 more than a loaded V6 CTS.

It's also quite common (and even more ridiculous) with people buying used cars. Someone will go out and drop $13k on a 5 year old V6 CTS then immediately start spending upwards of $3,000 to make a car that looks like a V, but still performs like a V6, all without realizing that they could have bought a real one for another $5k and had the guts to go with the looks.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.