Steering Wheel Paddle Shifters - Can they be Added? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Steering Wheel Paddle Shifters - Can they be Added? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Yep... I, too, was interested in the feasibility of adding the paddle shifters to my CTS Coupe. Despite some of ...
    kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Re: Steering Wheel Paddle Shifters - Can they be Added?

Yep... I, too, was interested in the feasibility of adding the paddle shifters to my CTS Coupe. Despite some of the people earlier in this thread, complaining that basically, "we deserve what we get" if we didn't order the car with all the options we wanted? That doesn't cover all situations.... When I bought my car, it was used, first of all -- so no assistance from any salesperson on ordering specific options. Second, I was assured it was the "premium edition that comes with ALL the available options". Only later did I realize other CTS Coupes out there had the paddle shifters that mine lacked. (Initially, I just assumed they only came with a CTS-V.)

Now, I'm seeing it's apparently a deal where AWD determined whether or not you got them. That strikes me as rather odd though. Why does Cadillac assume anyone wanting AWD would NOT want the paddle shifters on the steering wheel? And why is this never (to my knowledge) explained in the sales brochures?

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    The 2011 brochure shows the ' sport package' as only available on RWD.
    It includes ' performance handling suspension (FE3), automatic rear-level control, performance braking system, performance speed-sensitive variable-assist steering, steering wheel-mounted paddle shift controls, performance cooling system, 19'" x 8.5" high polished aluminium wheels and front P245/45ZR19, rear P275/40ZR19 Y-rated summer performance tires.

Some of these options are available as individual items but not the paddle shifts.

I am also dumbfounded as to why the paddle shifters are not available on the AWD as the transmission must already have all the programming it needs as part of the centre shifter manual function.

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

On the 2011 AWD here in Canada you get the 'paddle' shifters with the 19" All-Season tire package.

I actually like the way they did the buttons on the CTS - they''re easy to hit when you need them and right out of the way when you don't. I do wish the tranny downshifted way, way faster when you hit the button though.

Quote Originally Posted by ncscons
    On the 2011 AWD here in Canada you get the 'paddle' shifters with the 19" All-Season tire package.

I actually like the way they did the buttons on the CTS - they''re easy to hit when you need them and right out of the way when you don't. I do wish the tranny downshifted way, way faster when you hit the button though.
    Very interesting, I am also in Canada and was quoting the brochure section for the coupe, which to my understanding is not available with AWD & paddle shifters.
    From your post/profile it appears you have an AWD sedan that also has paddle shifters.
    This makes me even more confused at the packaging and more confident that these could be added to the coupe.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by spind

Very interesting, I am also in Canada and was quoting the brochure section for the coupe, which to my understanding is not available with AWD & paddle shifters.
    From your post/profile it appears you have an AWD sedan that also has paddle shifters.
    This makes me even more confused at the packaging and more confident that these could be added to the coupe.
    Edit: I just reviewed the 2011 brochure section for the CTS sedan and it shows that the 19" all-season tire package is only available on RWD. I guess this a case of "we reserve the right to make changes.. without notice...."

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

Dunno if it makes a difference but I got my sedan really late in the model year. Ordered towards the end of Feb/11 and received in early May.

karanchananamart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Steering Wheel Paddle Shifters - Can they be Added?

Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters are a growing trend in the auto industry.
    karan chanana robert

Tom Wheeler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

My 2012 Premium Sport Wagon has the 19" wheel option, AWD and it has the so called "paddle shifters", like I said earlier there more like "rocker shifters".

Tom

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I just read a post where someone ordered a CTS-V steering wheel and it came with paddle shifters that worked. Whether I read that incorrectly or this individual was unintentionally misrepresenting what he thinks he got I don't know. Maybe I will go back and try to find that post.

----------

Here it is - post #2:
    http://http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-appearance-mods/258878-cts-v-steering-wheel-questions.html

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there's a recent forum vendor who just began making paddles this year (not sure if they will work with non-Vs but...)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...c-cts-cts.html

from the beginning that thread starts with taking the pre-orders for the group buy at the end of last year and 360+ posts later you've got installed products and lots of pictures from happy owners
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

reaperdeath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Performance 3.6 Sedan

Tinman maybe i have misrepresented my self i bought a cts-v steering wheel for my cts 3.6 and it came with the shifter buttons on the steering wheel.
    As I did not think they would work but they did. They are nothing like the pics at the start of this post but if i misrepresented myself my truly sorry.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

No! That's exactly what I think most of us wanted to confirm.... that you can put a cts-v steering wheel on a regular cts and its shifter buttons will function. The guy selling the separate shifter paddles is simply selling parts that you add on to a car that already HAS working shifter buttons. Apparently, it just extends the existing plastic switches so you have larger paddles to press on.

Quote Originally Posted by reaperdeath View Post
    Tinman maybe i have misrepresented my self i bought a cts-v steering wheel for my cts 3.6 and it came with the shifter buttons on the steering wheel.
    As I did not think they would work but they did. They are nothing like the pics at the start of this post but if i misrepresented myself my truly sorry.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

technically.... you would pull on the aftermarket paddles instead of pushing on the oem/factory buttons
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks King well that is exactly what I have. I have a 2012 3.6 cts perfomance package with an automatic Transmission and just loved the black on the steering wheel. When I purchased the wheel, luke from lindsey cadillac asked if i hade automatic or manual. automatic wheel comes with shifter buttons manual does not. After installing wheel I noticed that the source button for the radio was now the button for the traction control but still worked the radio. After doing a quick function check on all the buttons decided, what the heck and put it in sport mode and pushed the button and it WORKED. When Installing i noticed that the factory cts Steering Wheel only had 5 wires going to the connector the cts-v has 6 a yellow wire that the cts did not have in its harness. I will Take Pics and upload them today.

Quote Originally Posted by reaperdeath
    Thanks King well that is exactly what I have. I have a 2012 3.6 cts perfomance package with an automatic Transmission and just loved the black on the steering wheel. When I purchased the wheel, luke from lindsey cadillac asked if i hade automatic or manual. automatic wheel comes with shifter buttons manual does not. After installing wheel I noticed that the source button for the radio was now the button for the traction control but still worked the radio. After doing a quick function check on all the buttons decided, what the heck and put it in sport mode and pushed the button and it WORKED. When Installing i noticed that the factory cts Steering Wheel only had 5 wires going to the connector the cts-v has 6 a yellow wire that the cts did not have in its harness. I will Take Pics and upload them today.
    I may be missing the obvious, however if you can confirm the following it would help me confirm that I also want to perform this mod.
    1) your original wheel did not have the buttons/ shifters on the back of the wheel
    2) the V wheel you installed does have the buttons/ shifters on the back of the wheel
    3) all buttons on the front of the steering wheel retained there original function by placement on the wheel ( regardless of the button label) at all times.
    4) the buttons/ shifters on the back of the wheel are fully functional ( shift up and down)

How hard was the swap, please do post any pictures of the assembly/ install that you have.

thanks,
    Steve

Hey spind.

(1) No my Cts did not come with the paddles/Shifters.

(2)The V- steering wheel did come with the shifters on the wheel.

(3) All the Buttons are the same and are fully functional except for the source button the button on the V- wheel is the traction control button but it still works as the source button.

(4) The Shift Buttons are fully functional they shift up and down they even shift without moving the shift stick to the right.

As for the swap it was easy 1. disengage car battery 2. Pull your air bag or center of the wheel off after engaging locks with wire or coat hanger or an all what ever will fit in the holes on the wheel. 3. Remove connectors to the Air Bag 4. Remove Bolt holding steering wheel it should come right off no need for steering wheel puller you should be able to jiggle it of.
    Then install your new Wheel.

Reaper.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.