Nitrogen Tire Fill
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Nitrogen Tire Fill in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    SC Rock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Nitrogen Tire Fill

I received this via a Service Special E-mail from my dealer today. Any basis to these claims?

S
    ervice Special

Nitrogen filled tires will save you $$$

• Increase fuel mileage 10%
    • Increase tire life 20%
    • Reduce tire failures
    • Improve handling

Exchange your old compressed air with nitrogen and see the results immediately!

$39.95
    plus tax
    Includes 1 year membership in Nitrofill Auto Club
    Auto Club Membership includes: Roadside assistance, tire replacement roadhazard, emergency travel expenses and
    FREE trip routing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Re: Nitrogen Tire Fill

The only one I know for sure is that it fluctuates less as the temperature changes. So I guess those claims could be true, do to a more constant inflation at the correct pressure.

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

Your tires are all ready filled with 78% Nitrogen...........

Snake oil.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

scam, scam, scam!!!

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

Initially, I was skeptical. My dealer apparently uses nitrogen in all their cars so I gave it a try. The car is kept in a garage at night and every time I go out and start it up the tire pressure is right on. I know that temperatures have risen, increasing pressure somewhat but it has been almost six months and I have not had to add nitrogen to any tire. So far, I am becoming a believer. We'll see what happens when temperatures fall this fall and winter.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

My dealer also routinely replaces the air with Nitrogen in all of it's new cars.At first, I was not pleased, because it was going to be very difficult to find Nitrogen to keep the tires fully inflated. However, the stuff really performs as advertised. The tire pressure deviates much less with temperature than air does. This is notable even while driving or with hard cornering. The tire pressures especially deviate much less from season to season, as well. In reality, I very rarely had to adjust the tire pressures in my '08 CTS that I had for 15 months, and so far the same for my two month old CTS-V. The tires don't seem to lose pressure like they do with air, either. A lot of racers use Nitrogen for it's consistency and improved performance.

As far as the claims for increased mileage and decreased tire wear, well, that's not from the Nitrogen, but from the improved inflation of the tires and lack of deviation. Under-inflation is a well known cause of premature or uneven tire wear, and does reduce fuel economy, too. As far as the claims from the ad, that's probably an over-statement, but in my opinion, Nitrogen is the real deal.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

"Snake Oil In Your Tires:" http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2008/0311.shtml

CONSUMER REPORTS air-filled vs. nitrogen-filled tire test results: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/pho...t_consumer.gif
    In the CR test, pressure loss for a Michelin® HX MXM4 (OEM 2008-09 Cadillac CTS 18" All-Season Performance) tire filled with air was a whopping .2 lb per year worse than the same tire filled with nitrogen. Oh my gawd!

lol

Sorry, st4422 and marktanner, but you guys are only fooling yourselves.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Rodya234 View Post
    Your tires are all ready filled with 78% Nitrogen...........

Snake oil.
    My dealer is better than yours. Mine promised me 79%. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    My dealer also routinely replaces the air with Nitrogen in all of it's new cars.At first, I was not pleased, because it was going to be very difficult to find Nitrogen to keep the tires fully inflated. However, the stuff really performs as advertised. The tire pressure deviates much less with temperature than air does. This is notable even while driving or with hard cornering. The tire pressures especially deviate much less from season to season, as well. In reality, I very rarely had to adjust the tire pressures in my '08 CTS that I had for 15 months, and so far the same for my two month old CTS-V. The tires don't seem to lose pressure like they do with air, either. A lot of racers use Nitrogen for it's consistency and improved performance.

As far as the claims for increased mileage and decreased tire wear, well, that's not from the Nitrogen, but from the improved inflation of the tires and lack of deviation. Under-inflation is a well known cause of premature or uneven tire wear, and does reduce fuel economy, too. As far as the claims from the ad, that's probably an over-statement, but in my opinion, Nitrogen is the real deal.
    Screw the "overstatement." As the head of NADA said in an article on Camaros being priced at $2500 over MSRP, "you can shear the sheep several times, but you can skin the critter only once."

And we wonder why Detroit is in the shape that it is. I admit that I really should not connect this sales pitch with Detroit since dealers are separate entities. Then again, the "corporate culture" of misleading info goes up and down the chain of command within the auto world.

Looks like the people in the auto business just never learn.

2008cts4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I did it thru Valvoline where I get my oil changed. $29. No difference in gas mileage however my tire pressure seems to be 35 on the hwy in the winter and up to 37 on a hot summer day... minimum fluctations. If you live in an area where you change altitude (Rocky mountains) this could be very helpful (This is why aircraft use nitrogen in there tires) Ive done it for about six months and havent had to add any yet. Not sure its worth it a sea level though.

A local GM dealer also offered me something like the above. He was telling me how much gasoline I could save by using nitrogen. He reassured me that I would save substantial dollars every day for the rest of my life.

But being me, I simply out-smarted him by turning down the nitrogen and purchasing 2 of the gas saving devices that we have all seen on ebay. In fact, I am going to buy a third one tomorrow and put them all on one of my vehicles. I will save so much gas that I might need another tank to store it in.

There is no way that I would let that dealer fool me. Ebay vendor even promised me a full refund if I did not increase my gas mileage up to 200%. (I believe that the 3 devices might get me close to 600%.) That dealer does not know whom he is dealing with. I ain't nearly as dumb as I look.

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    "Snake Oil In Your Tires:" http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2008/0311.shtml

CONSUMER REPORTS air-filled vs. nitrogen-filled tire test results: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/pho...t_consumer.gif
    In the CR test, pressure loss for a Michelin® HX MXM4 (OEM 2008-09 Cadillac CTS 18" All-Season Performance) tire filled with air was a whopping .2 lb per year worse than the same tire filled with nitrogen. Oh my gawd!

lol

Sorry, st4422 and marktanner, but you guys are only fooling yourselves.
    I'm not trying to fool anyone. Just reporting my experience. It's free so what's the harm? The tires on my other cars in the same garage have required air during the same six month period. As I said, I'm waiting to see what winter brings.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by st4422 View Post
    I'm not trying to fool anyone. Just reporting my experience. It's free so what's the harm? The tires on my other cars in the same garage have required air during the same six month period. As I said, I'm waiting to see what winter brings.
    I'm a real stickler for proper tire inflation (w/ air compressor in my garage). My experience in the past six months is similar to yours, not because of air vs. nitrogen; but rather, I suspect, because pressure retention (air or nitrogen) in the Michelin® low-profile tires is far better than in many others (see CR test results link in previous post).

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I'm a stickler for tire pressures, too. My FE3 CTS and my V both came with Michelin PS2's. I have the same tires on my M5 and my 911, and they came on my GT3, too. I frequently have to add or subtract air from all of those cars, especially as the seasons change, and can't drive them more than about a mile without the pressure changing, for when I do need air. Over a year and a half, I just haven't had to do this with the Caddy's with the Nitrogen. Better still, I didn't have to pay for it either time. Overall, my experience has been very positive. I know some people in my local Porsche club who have also switched to Nitrogen, and their experiences are similar to mine. They have also noted less temperature rise while tracking their cars with the Nitrogen, as I have noted during hard street driving. My experience has been positive enough that I intend to switch the other cars over to Nitrogen, even though that won't be free. The convenience factor alone is worth the minimal expense, IMO. Try it for yourself before you condemn it.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

The real benefit to nitrogen is the lack of moisture content. It is that moisture that causes the fluctution in pressure that everyone is talking about. The fact that tires filled with nitrogen may require less attention to maintaining tire pressure is a result of that moisture content not boiling off more so than the properties of the nitrogen itself.
    If it makes you feel better, then use it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.