Best Performance Upgrades? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Best Performance Upgrades? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by 928S J55 Performance Brakes: 2008 - FE3 (RWD), FE2 AWD 2009 - FE3 (RWD) only. 2008-09 FE3 ...
    RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Best Performance Upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    J55 Performance Brakes:
    2008 - FE3 (RWD), FE2 AWD
    2009 - FE3 (RWD) only.

2008-09 FE3 (RWD) includes upgraded Bilstein front and load-leveling Sachs Nivomat rear shocks.
    928S, I believe the Y42 (FE2) option combined with AWD on the 2009 CTS does in fact result in the factory application of J55 Performance Brakes. I believe it is simply an error (omission) in the Online Order/Reference Guide for the '09 CTS. All of the literature I have reviewed in Canada for the '09 CTS (including GM Canada's '09 CTS brochure) mentions Performance Brakes are included when the Y42 Performance Package is specified along with AWD.
    I've noticed that the Online Order/Reference Guide for the 2010 CTS has been corrected.. J55 Performance Brakes are once again mentioned for the Y42 package combined with AWD.

I'm taking delivery today of a fully-equipped '09 DI CTS. It has the Y42 option (of course), but no AWD this time (therefore no J55 brakes). Unlike my '08 CTS4, there will be no issue this time around with heavy accumulations of brake dust on the front wheels. The standard braking package on the CTS is more than adequate for my driving style.

Cheers,
    RAB.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If I had a four year old Volvo that could take out Porsche Carreras, I'm pretty sure I'd stay where I was.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

RAB, thanks for the heads up. The Online Order / Reference Guide for 2009 CTS Sedan consistently omits J55 brakes for AWD models as follows:

J55 Brakes, performance 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
    1 - Included and only available in (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package (no additional charge for [J55] performance brakes with (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package.

Y42 Performance Package, 18" (45.7 cm) All-Season Tire, includes (TT6) HID headlamps, (CE4) headlamp washers, (T96) fog lamps, (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 c x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with premium multi-coat painted finish, (QKE) P235/50R18 V-rated all-season blackwall tires, (G80) limited slip differential and (FE2) sport suspension
    1 - Included and only available in (PDQ) CTS Premium Collection or (PDR) CTS Performance Collection. (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with premium multi-coat painted finish are upgradeable to (P63) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with high-polished finish. Not available with (MN6) Aisin 6-speed manual transmission on Models 6DM69. Not available with (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package on Model 6DP69 [3.6L DI RWD].

QUESTION: Any 2009 CTS AWD owners out there, is this info correct or not?
    _________

The Online Order / Reference Guide for the 2010 CTS Sedan contradicts itself as follows:

J55 Brakes, performance 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
    1 - Included and only available in (Y43) 19" Summer Tire Performance Package on Model 6DP69 [3.6L DI RWD].

Y42 Performance Package, 18" (45.7 cm) All-Season Tire, includes (T4F) HID headlamps, (T3U) fog lamps, (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 c x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with premium multi-coat painted finish, (QKE) P235/50R18 V-rated all-season blackwall tires, (G80) limited slip differential (MX7) 6-speed automatic transmission only, (J55) performance brakes [AWD only] and (FE2) sport suspension

QUESTION: Can any knowledgeable GM/Cadillac insider(s) resolve this conflicting info?

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

MORE RE: J55 Performance Brakes with AWD

Here's a cut and paste from the window sticker of a 2009 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 AWD, one of many examples online. J55 brakes are not listed:

18"ALL SEASON TIRE PERFORMANCE
    PACKAGE:
    *HEADLAMPS, HIGH INTENSITY
    DISCHARGE W/ADAPTIVE FORWARD
    LIGHTING
    *HEADLAMP WASHER
    *18" PAINTED ALUMINUM WHEELS
    *ALL SEASON TIRES
    *DIFFERENTIAL, LIMITED SLIP
    *SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEM
    *FOG LAMPS

http://www.cadillac.com/ws/nvlWindow...ue&GMS=junebug

For USA (Canada, others? dunno), I believe that J55 was permanently deleted from AWD models beginning with 2009, and the 2010 CTS Sedan "Online Order / Reference Guide" description of J55 is correct and Y42 is incorrect. Damn, I wish that GM would get its act together and provide accurate info in official reference publications such as the Owner's Manual and the Online Order / Reference Guide.

Hey, RAB, congrats!
    Now tell us how many miles you've already put on your new '09.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

I have a for-Canada '09 CTS-4 with the FE2 suspension and I definitely do NOT have the J55 brakes.

FWIW...

yatesd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony

Now we just need to confirm the real deal on the J55 brakes for 2010...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.