Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Does anyone know if horsepower can substantially be increased without voiding the warranty? If so, how much horsepower and how ...
    IRONDOG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower?

Does anyone know if horsepower can substantially be increased without voiding the warranty? If so, how much horsepower and how much cost? How much improvement in the 0-60 time? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower?

In general you'll 'void' warranty on any part thats been modified between the MAF and the catalytic converter. Youll have to talk with youre dealer to see what they say. Legally, GM has to prove that what you modified caused the problem.

proexpert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 Loaded

Trade for the CTS-V. That's my plan.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

About the only 2 bolt-ons I am aware of that are worth the money are the D3 CAI and catback exhaust system from MagnaFlow. Together they should increase HP around 10-15%.
    BTW, neither of these will void the warranty.
    Beyond this you're looking at computer chip upgrades, hotter plugs, etc. which at this time I don't recommend. (Not enough data yet & will probably affect the warranty).

lavaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, White, Auto, all options (Traded for a Tahoe)

Quote Originally Posted by proexpert View Post
    Trade for the CTS-V. That's my plan.
    That was not my initial intention.... it just kinda "Happened"

Oldschooler08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
    That was not my initial intention.... it just kinda "Happened"
    Has anyone considered doing a LS3 engine swap? I did a LS1 drop in on a project I had several years ago. I was able to find a motor computer and accessories with only a few thousand miles on it from a wrecked Vette and only cost me $2500. It worked out great. Given the V has the LS3 I would assume (unless there are subframe differences) it should be plug and play with just ordering the right pieces. 430 horses and equivalent torque would be just right for this car.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Today's cars aren't engineered for us backyard mechanics. Without a lot of time and effort, I bet it would just be cheaper to by a new car. It's not just the engine and computer, it's the whole balance of the car, weight distribution, suspension issues. I would look at a parts book and check all the parts that are different in just the front end alone, between a CTS and CTS-V. When you get to 100, stop counting.

PAO
    PAO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx

no modification will VOID a warranty, however warranty work may not be honored if the new modification directly contributed to the failure......something the dealer has to document....but always a touchy issue.....again work with your service department....

I added a CAI and aftermarket exhaust as well as some suspension upgrades to my 06 Pontiac Solstice and my service manager was fine with the upgrades......it has been in for warrantly work twice for dif issues without any problems...but again.....I talked to the service folks before I did them....

GMFAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome

Quote Originally Posted by PAO View Post
    no modification will VOID a warranty, however warranty work may not be honored if the new modification directly contributed to the failure......something the dealer has to document....but always a touchy issue.....again work with your service department....
    The Magunson-Moss Warranty Act is meant to protect the consumer, AND the retailer in regard to warranty issue's.

A touchy issue, as stated above, is absolutely correct. Actually the retailer still has the upper hand. They may not try to void your warranty, but if they feel the after market addition(s) on your car are hampering them from solving the problem, they can request you return it back to stock condition before they proceed any further. It's great if you talk to your local service manager about your after market parts but, you may be hundreds of miles from your dealer when service is needed.

Oldschooler08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Today's cars aren't engineered for us backyard mechanics. Without a lot of time and effort, I bet it would just be cheaper to by a new car. It's not just the engine and computer, it's the whole balance of the car, weight distribution, suspension issues. I would look at a parts book and check all the parts that are different in just the front end alone, between a CTS and CTS-V. When you get to 100, stop counting.
    That's cool, I respect your opinion for sure. I'm not concerned about the warranty and this backyard mechanic has built a couple street rods so an engine swap doesn't frighten me off. A hundred parts are ok as long as fabrication is not required. One off pieces would make this expensive. Looking at the chassis and suspension a 400-450hp would be fine for a FE2 or FE3 car. The weight distribution changes would be minimal if at all since the LS3 probably weighs the same or less.The difference between my purchase price and a new V was $20K. I can do a lot for less than half of that.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschooler08 View Post
    That's cool, I respect your opinion for sure. I'm not concerned about the warranty and this backyard mechanic has built a couple street rods so an engine swap doesn't frighten me off. A hundred parts are ok as long as fabrication is not required. One off pieces would make this expensive. Looking at the chassis and suspension a 400-450hp would be fine for a FE2 or FE3 car. The weight distribution changes would be minimal if at all since the LS3 probably weighs the same or less.The difference between my purchase price and a new V was $20K. I can do a lot for less than half of that.
    The LS3 weights over 500 lbs installed doesn't it? Closer to 550 maybe? The LY7 weighs in only 370 lbs installed. 150 lbs over the front wheels is a fair bit. With the LS3 installed, youd probably need a new driveshaft, rearend, etc. Either trans should be fine, tho, as theyre both rated to about 350 lbs ft.
    All of this would be easy to accomplish tho. Getting the whole setup to work properly, computer-wise, is a whole different ballgame.

That being said. GM is missing out by not offering a 400ish hp CTS. Combine that with a softer riding version of the Magnaride suspension, and youd have one exceptional CTS, softish and powerful. Cheaper and less hard-edged then the V.

Cadillac CTS 08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2008

I would love a 400hp CTS with a V8! GM would be smart if they made a middle of the road car.

bobelew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think that GM might feel that offereing a 400 HP engine to the CTS might cut into sales of the V, or might require too much reengineering to the current CTS. It is an interesting thought, though!

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

IRONDOG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_red View Post
    About the only 2 bolt-ons I am aware of that are worth the money are the D3 CAI and catback exhaust system from MagnaFlow. Together they should increase HP around 10-15%.
    BTW, neither of these will void the warranty.
    Beyond this you're looking at computer chip upgrades, hotter plugs, etc. which at this time I don't recommend. (Not enough data yet & will probably affect the warranty).
    Thanks for the information Crystal Red! Does anyone know how much 10 to 15 per cent increase in horsepower will reduce the 0-60 time of 6 seconds?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.