Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by Cadillac CTS 08 I would love a 400hp CTS with a V8! GM would be smart if ...
    IRONDOG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Substantially Increase CTS Horsepower?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac CTS 08 View Post
    I would love a 400hp CTS with a V8! GM would be smart if they made a middle of the road car.
    I definitely would be interested in buying that car. What about it GM?

The Drakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    The LS3 weights over 500 lbs installed doesn't it? Closer to 550 maybe? The LY7 weighs in only 370 lbs installed. 150 lbs over the front wheels is a fair bit. With the LS3 installed, youd probably need a new driveshaft, rearend, etc. Either trans should be fine, tho, as theyre both rated to about 350 lbs ft.
    All of this would be easy to accomplish tho. Getting the whole setup to work properly, computer-wise, is a whole different ballgame.

That being said. GM is missing out by not offering a 400ish hp CTS. Combine that with a softer riding version of the Magnaride suspension, and youd have one exceptional CTS, softish and powerful. Cheaper and less hard-edged then the V.
    LS3 Crate Engine weighs about 385# (415 shipped).

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

In general you'll 'void' warranty on any part thats been modified between the MAF and the catalytic converter. Youll have to talk with youre dealer to see what they say. Legally, GM has to prove that what you modified caused the problem.
    You might be right on the "legally, GM has to prove..."

The reality of life is: once a GM service mgr notes in the computer that he/she feels the mod screwed up the part, GM does not have to prove anything. The dealer/GM can then refuse to cover the part and labor under the warranty. Not much that the average consumer can do.

Best advice, as others have said, is to talk with local GM service mgr prior to making any mods.

The Drakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI

In general you'll 'void' warranty on any part thats been modified between the MAF and the catalytic converter. Youll have to talk with youre dealer to see what they say. Legally, GM has to prove that what you modified caused the problem.
    This is true - but THE OWNER has to take GM to court. Mostly, GM will have more resources than the owner. It will cost more than the car to win the battle.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by proexpert View Post
    Trade for the CTS-V. That's my plan.
    Sorry guys, that's the only way to get "substantial" hp.

And asking GM for a CTS with 400 hp? I think you're thinking of the Pontiac G8 GXP.....around $40k.....around 400 hp.....now that's bang for the buck, and it's a nice car to boot. I didn't buy one myself only because I like having a navi, and the CTS-V's interior is that crucial step above.

Why have a CTS-V at all if Caddy offers a 400 hp V8 in a CTS?

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    Sorry guys, that's the only way to get "substantial" hp.

And asking GM for a CTS with 400 hp? I think you're thinking of the Pontiac G8 GXP.....around $40k.....around 400 hp.....now that's bang for the buck, and it's a nice car to boot. I didn't buy one myself only because I like having a navi, and the CTS-V's interior is that crucial step above.

Why have a CTS-V at all if Caddy offers a 400 hp V8 in a CTS?
    Because there is a huge performance differential between 300hp, 400hp, and 550hp!

IRONDOG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_red View Post
    Because there is a huge performance differential between 300hp, 400hp, and 550hp!

I definitely agree! To each his own. GM provide the choice!

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

Where do you guys go to use 500hp? There is a cop with radar on every other block in most suburbs.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    Where do you guys go to use 500hp? There is a cop with radar on every other block in most suburbs.
    Yep! I just know had I bought a V, my wife would be bailing me out of jail sooner or later (probably sooner)! I live in a relatively small town and there are local cops everywhere hiding in the bushes. Even up on the interstate the state police would find me.
    Besides it was hard for me to justify the additional $15K.
    The good news is that I have not had any moving violations in my DI AWD (at least not yet).

cts2008lover is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

OMG,,,, before I bought CTS I did not know there is CTS-V...

It will be fun to drive with 500 hp between, why worry about the cop??
    0 ~ 35mph
    0 ~ 45mph
    0 ~ 65mph
    0 ~ 75mph

75mph+ if only it is necessary.....

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

fyi.....................................

Identifying Aftermarket Non-GM Calibrations
    By Blog Admin on February 1, 2009 7:17 PM | No Comments

For more details, refer to bulletins 08-06-04-033 (Gasoline Engines) and 08-06-04-006A (Diesel Engines).

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non GM - aftermarket engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components, whenever the presence of a non-GM / aftermarket calibration is confirmed -- even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that are essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally; non-GM-issued aftermarket engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM-issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and / or penalties.

GM service bulletins 08-06-04-033 and 08-06-04-006 outline procedures to identify the presence of non-GM / aftermarket calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In February 2009, PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM calibration is GM-issued. Beginning in February, PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in the bulletin, before authorizing any V8 engine replacement (both Gas and Diesel). (fig. 19)

If a non-GM calibration is detected by the dealership, follow the procedures outlined in the bulletin. Once documentation of the non-GM calibration has been received, and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and noted in VISS, and the dealership will receive the following notification:

Based on information that has been received, please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, due to the presence of non-GM calibrations and / or equipment. The stresses resulting from the non-GM calibrations and / or equipment were not validated by GM and therefore cannot be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses. Repairs to powertrain or driveline components that may currently require repair should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. The warranty group has been advised of this information and VISS will be updated accordingly.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

talk about your wet blankets...

tylers65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you are unsure of what will or will not void your warranty, read this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

About the only 2 bolt-ons I am aware of that are worth the money are the D3 CAI and catback exhaust system from MagnaFlow. Together they should increase HP around 10-15%.
    BTW, neither of these will void the warranty.
    Beyond this you're looking at computer chip upgrades, hotter plugs, etc. which at this time I don't recommend. (Not enough data yet & will probably affect the warranty).
    30-45hp? No. Not a chance.

My CTS-V has a Lingenfelter CAI and B&B catback. I then added a set of B&B headers(without cats) and a StealthV tune. THEN I got a 41hp/39lb increase. And that's on a 400hp V8. A 10% increase for all of that, with 3/4 of that, if not more, just on the headers and the tune.

A CAI and catback on the 3.6 will get you 10hp...tops...

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    So why did you get the DI version then? By your argument, anything more then enough power to get you places, is wasted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.