Is the D3 intake worth it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Is the D3 intake worth it? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have gotten a lot of people telling me that this intake is overpriced and that all intakes do the ...
    Mrdestination28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009CTS DI Fully Loaded + 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum + ....

Question Is the D3 intake worth it?

I have gotten a lot of people telling me that this intake is overpriced and that all intakes do the same thing. Also, apparently Cold Air Intakes are supposed to be the best kind of intakes and I don't see the word Cold in any of the descriptions about the intake. What do you guys think, is this intake too overpriced and does it preform as well as a CAI?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

scoutpilot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 08

Re: Is the D3 intake worth it?

Odds are that fitting a K&N into the stock airbox will net you most of the gains (which in truth are very small). Remember that no one has more incentive for you to buy the claims of big gains than D3. $450 for a plastic tube, some sheetmetal, and a K&N filter? I guess there's no recession at D3. I've got a bridge to sell you, too!

WNBAMiamiSol is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD NAV, OEM Spoiler, D3 CAI, LOADED

Which Cadillac do you own?

coolhand is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

The gains are very small an all intakes and filters, most people will never feel a difference.The one thing you will notice more than anything else is extra engine noise

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello Mrdestination28,
    Here is some actual proof of our performance gains measured on the dyno and some actual customer feedback, rather than relying on internet banter and heresay. Our customers are very happy with results of the intake installed. I think you will be very happy with the investment if you decide to purchase. Please let us know if there are any questions.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ains-over.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ir-intake.html

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

Whether the intake is worth it or not depends on what you hope to achieve. If you're looking for a tremendous power boost - you won't get it just from the intake. That being said, the intake improved throttle response and there is a SOTP improvement that I would say supports D3's data. There is a slight whistle at a narrow throttle position range, but generally the engine noise is only noticeable at full throttle which IMO sounds better than stock.

It thus far has been "worth it" to me and I don't go around buying bridges on a regular basis.

BTW - the "plastic tube" is actually steel and very well crafted.

carnut108 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. $450. is ridiculous.

WNBAMiamiSol is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD NAV, OEM Spoiler, D3 CAI, LOADED

I suppose you'd also think $450 for a spoiler is a waste of money, too, since we never actually drive fast enough for the spoiler help the CTS to 'stick to the highway.' And lemme see, I guess the nav I opted for... well... I know where I drive and if I get lost, I could just pull into a gas station and ask directions for free.... and the DI engine .... well, that was unnecessary too.... hmmm ..... I'm now wondering why I even bothered to get the CTS.... I could have just opted for public transportation!

PAO
    PAO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx

any purchase is a personal choice...the air intake in combination with other mods...such as a custom exhaust will certainly lead to gains as indicated in the dyno that D3 provided.......the air intake alone will not add a noticeable impact IMHO per experience with other vehicles....but certainly in combination with other mods....exhaust, tune, etc will contribute to increased performance and HP....

the cost of a air intake is relative to me considering the materials and engineering costs involved to obtain a true custom or OEM look along with ease of installation

Snake oil! Get your snake oil here! Shamwow, you'll say wow every time you use it!

Only the truly naive follow the famous "Seat-of-the-pants!!!!" meter to judge gains. Second in line on the naivete scale is believing a manufacturer's dyno claims. 31 RWHP from an exhaust and intake? Please. Assuming a reasonable 15% loss from the flywheel, you're telling me that a tube (plastic, steel, whatever) and a K&N plus a cat-back gave you 36 hp at the shaft? Without headers or a tune? Puh-lease. Crazy how this eluded the Cadillac engineers. I guess they didn't want to compete too well with BMW and Infiniti. They decided to leave that 36 hp untapped in the engine. Maybe they're trying to stimulate the economy by helping D3?

$450...ridiculous. For those economists in the room, you know there is only one source of pricing power for any good in any market: scarcity power. Notice how D3's price of $450 is reasonable when they're the only game in town. When someone else brings an intake to market for the CTS, you can join me for a beer as we watch the price fall.

A friendly tip for Dr. Design....if you want people to take your business seriously, especially people who are fanatical about their Cadillacs, you should really spend $15 of the profit from your next intake sale and get some webjockey to update your website. It's a real turn-off for people when the same products still say "price coming soon" or "image coming soon" and they haven't changed for 6 months. Also, I was told the sway bars for the new CTS won't be made, so those should probably be removed. Just a tip from someone who really wanted to spend some money on your stuff, but was thoroughly turned off.

As for the intake, well...ask around to some non-CTS people. Do your own research. Go to another car forum and tell them you'll be getting 18+ rwhp from an intake alone. See what they think.

badblkcts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Cadillac CTS Direct Injection RWD

does anybody know if there is a company that is coming out with a hand held tuner/programmer such as companies like Superchips, Hypertech, Diablo and the many others out there for the 08+ CTS?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I have a friend who is a GM field engineer. His explanation is the the performance (to the owner) is in direct proportion what you spent for the modification.
    I had a 2006 CTS with the K&N power pack and while I noticed some seat of the pants increases ( I paid , I think $350) my 2008 just has the K&N filter in the stock box and it feels about the same with the exception of no noise increase at full throttle.
    One word of caution; if you do put an aftermarket intake system on your car, keep all of the original parts. On my 2006 I didn't and when I traded it the dealer took off what it would cost them to put it back to stock.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    We always appreciate feedback. But it is always important to make sure the facts are being brought up before you start issuing snake oil claims. If other companies want to publish HP figures without dyno numbers to support their claims then you might have a case. But we did document our gains and posted the dyno results. After long term testing, we released the product to the general public. You dont have to believe it if you dont want to, but the proof is on the dyno sheet and the customers agree with the gains. If the gains are not there I would think we would have a bunch of returned air intake systems...But we dont. You dont think the engineers leave power on the table ??? They have been leaving power on the table since cars went into production. There is a reason why there is an automotive aftermarket.

We have another update do our website that should be "coming soon". Some stuff that did not make it into production will be pulled off.

As for the HP claims. We have documented 13WHP gains with the intake, not 18WHP.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by scoutpilot View Post
    Snake oil! Get your snake oil here! Shamwow, you'll say wow every time you use it!

Only the truly naive follow the famous "Seat-of-the-pants!!!!" meter to judge gains. Second in line on the naivete scale is believing a manufacturer's dyno claims. 31 RWHP from an exhaust and intake? Please. Assuming a reasonable 15% loss from the flywheel, you're telling me that a tube (plastic, steel, whatever) and a K&N plus a cat-back gave you 36 hp at the shaft? Without headers or a tune? Puh-lease. Crazy how this eluded the Cadillac engineers. I guess they didn't want to compete too well with BMW and Infiniti. They decided to leave that 36 hp untapped in the engine. Maybe they're trying to stimulate the economy by helping D3?

As for the intake, well...ask around to some non-CTS people. Do your own research. Go to another car forum and tell them you'll be getting 18+ rwhp from an intake alone. See what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut108 View Post
    As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. $450. is ridiculous.
    Absolutely agreed. Scarcity power is an amazing thing. $450 for an $80 filter and $25 worth of mandrel-bent tubing.

As for Dr. Design's claims, I'll wait to see some independent dyno pulls by a non-partisan tester. So far all we have is the company itself saying "we added X and got result Y." Remember, the folks who made the Tornado device that went into your intake in order to create a "vortex of air" had dyno numbers to back up their claims too.

Doc, you know as well as anyone that just as sure as there's always been an aftermarket, there's always been the customer who is willing to believe that his mod worked. From Joe Dirt with his Flowmasters and Cherry Bombs to the Honda kid with his fart can exhaust, the majority of people will talk themselves into believing that their purchase was a good one. Hence, the "seat of the pants" meter.

Until someone puts one of these on and does a real dyno pull under identical conditions, I'll remain suspicious of the claims.

The other question is how much is lost under the curve during normal driving conditions, say at half throttle? Peak HP is worthless 99% of the time.

The Black Dahlia is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS (NOW), 2004 CTS (Then), 2008 CTS (Then)

I noticed a HUGE increase. From the drive home from D3 all the way to 5 months later still customizing my CTS. To all the members who don't think anyone notices a difference; try it on the CTS. You won't be dissapointed.

I feel that a company (D3 Cadillac) should be rewarded with fair profit for all the R&D they put in to get us products that deliver and maintain power. Think of the minimal profit they make as the future R&D for all of our 2010 CTS Coupes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.