Is the D3 intake worth it? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Is the D3 intake worth it? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm optimistic w/ this new KPE intake. The group on the CTS-V forum really seemed to enjoy the intake, and ...
    beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: Is the D3 intake worth it?

I'm optimistic w/ this new KPE intake. The group on the CTS-V forum really seemed to enjoy the intake, and the best part is, at 260 bucks, its not a tough pill to swallow (like the D3 intake). I can't wait till it arrives. I'll be sure to take pictures and do some performance assessments. Hopefully some more ppl will jump onboard on the new intake (to boost the discount to 15%)

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

Yeah with the KPE out, I wish I had waited on buying the D3...oh well I got it used half off.

I think you still got a good deal on the D3. After I install the KPE intake on my car, any CTS owners w/ a D3 intake interested in meeting up to compare the two? Let me know, I'm in the Auburn Hills area and I work for GM in Warren.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

You got a pretty good deal on a quality system that makes the most HP on the market today. +4HP will add up if you do other performance upgrades.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    Yeah with the KPE out, I wish I had waited on buying the D3...oh well I got it used half off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    You got a pretty good deal on a quality system that makes the most HP on the market today. +4HP will add up if you do other performance upgrades.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    I like it, and it looks good under the hood, but I would have rather it been made of thermoplastic (the tube) so it doesn't conduct as much heat. I now contemplate wrapping it in some sort of insulation to prevent the heat soak.

Hello,
    We looked into that. The reality of it is the air is moving through at such a rate, it doesn't have time to transfer the heat into the air going into the motor. You can wrap the pipe, but I wouldn't expect any significant improvements or changes.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

I like it, and it looks good under the hood, but I would have rather it been made of thermoplastic (the tube) so it doesn't conduct as much heat. I now contemplate wrapping it in some sort of insulation to prevent the heat soak.

Hello,
    We looked into that. The reality of it is the air is moving through at such a rate, it doesn't have time to transfer the heat into the air going into the motor. You can wrap the pipe, but I wouldn't expect any significant improvements or changes.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    Is there some sort of grommet that the tube passes through in the heat shield? Mine just... sits in the hole, metal on metal with a huge gap. It doesn't seem... to be a good fit and finish.

I'm not sure if the D3 intake is set up the same as the KPE intake, but the KPE attaches to the stock MAF sensor, and then bolts onto a steel bracket.

Mine bolts onto the MAF sensor, passes through the hole in the heat shield with no attachment (it literally just sits in the hole, on the thin metal shield).

I feel there should be a grommett or something to hold the tube...

Hello,
    Actually this was designed this way to allow the engine to torque over without putting stress on any joints or grommets. The weight of the aluminum tube and filter can be supported by the reinforced coupler and the high quality t-bolt clamp.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Mine bolts onto the MAF sensor, passes through the hole in the heat shield with no attachment (it literally just sits in the hole, on the thin metal shield).

I feel there should be a grommett or something to hold the tube...

Hello,
    Actually this was designed this way to allow the engine to torque over without putting stress on any joints or grommets. The weight of the aluminum tube and filter can be supported by the reinforced coupler and the high quality t-bolt clamp.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    Makes sense - that's what the flex section was for in the OEM intake.

It does concern me however that this will cause the intake to scratch when it torques back down onto the heat shield. Is there a rubber grommet we can put on the inside edge to prevent metal on metal contact?

woolnerc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts-di

Re: Is the D3 intake worth it? At this price maybe

Well work means I need a pick up once again so my cts-di is being traded back in. This means original air filter and box back in, D3 out. PM me if you interested in almost new cold air system, Black piping and black housing look subtle (all part etc) , sounds great when you give it some throttle for about 150 usd. Postage depending, I'm in Florida.

Mano4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI

I just hate how their isn't a true cold air intake for our cars. The D3 intake is not a true cold air intake it draws air from the engine compatment just as the manufacturers does. I believe the only thing close to a cold air intake we have right now is volant which draws air from the front of the grill i believe; like the infinity m45 k&n filter. The D3 intake looks good though, and has a noticible sound to it.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by woolnerc View Post
    Well work means I need a pick up once again so my cts-di is being traded back in. This means original air filter and box back in, D3 out. PM me if you interested in almost new cold air system, Black piping and black housing look subtle (all part etc) , sounds great when you give it some throttle for about 150 usd. Postage depending, I'm in Florida.
    Do you still have your D3 Intake? I can't PM (not enough posts)...

mblais99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

do you still have the intake for sale i don't no how to pm so can you email me at blazer55@hotmail.com thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.