Is the D3 intake worth it? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Is the D3 intake worth it? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; [quote=OneLapCoastie;1797079] Originally Posted by scoutpilot And here I thought the subject of this thread was whether it was worth $450. ...
    scoutpilot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 08

Re: Is the D3 intake worth it?

[quote=OneLapCoastie;1797079]
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutpilot View Post

And here I thought the subject of this thread was whether it was worth $450. The title must have misled me...

QUOTE]

You were not misled; you just chose to ignore your irrelevance. Your argument is based on zero experience with the subject product so you're essentially like a movie critic that never saw the movie -- completely irrelevant, but compelled to bloviate anyway.
    Why would one need to experience it? Unlike a movie, the output of the intake is essentially quantifiable - 13 rwhp. It's not subjective like a movie, where the nuances of screenwriting and cinematography play out differently to each viewer. Rather, it's 13 rwhp (claimed) for $450. I think it's pretty easy to make a value-based judgment on those metrics. But maybe it hums to you while you drive, or compliments your wife's shoes? I suppose such unheralded benefits would have to be experienced, but if it's just a regular old intake that gives you X power for Y dollars, it's pretty easy to judge the value.

Now, your idea of value may differ from mine, but that doesn't invalidate either of our assessments. By your logic, I could offer to sell you an Abrams tank for $3 billion, and you would be in no position to say it wasn't worth that much because you'd never driven it.

Quote Originally Posted by d3Mark View Post
    so then are you basically saying that you would put one on your car if the price was right?

oh and btw- its helmholtz
    Ooooh, you cut me deep, Shrek. I made a typo. Boy do I have egg on my face now. Either way, you could answer the question about either spelling of the name

Would I put it on for the right price? Possibly, if my other questions were answered. I mean, that's the heart of the thread, isn't it? Whether the professed gains are "worth" it? You'll notice that I said earlier that $300 would be a far more reasonable price in my estimation. But we all have our own concept of value.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by d3Mark View Post
    Dear trukk in a box,

Welcome to yet another bashing of D3, I'm shocked you didn't chime in earlier. But you're here now so let the games begin.

All of our CTS pipes are mandrel bent aluminum. they are finished in a high quality powder coat or have been chromed.

We originally tested the system without the heat sheild to see what kind of temps we would get, and sure enough we were seeing around 150-160 deg f. through the AIT sensor, we added the heat sheild and temps dropped to 70-80 deg. f. depending on ambient(wich was 68 deg. or more at that time of year)

The first system had a pipe that ran down to the lower portion of bumper area just above the splash sheild, we decided not to go that route because the MAF sensor reading were scewed causing a lean condition. On top of that in order to run a pipe down there the horn assembly had to be relocated, we were looking for an easy installation for your average customer so we didn't want to overcomplicate it.

Each variation has had multiple dyno runs as well as multiple road test and snap shots to keep driveability in check.

But you're right we slapped a 20 dollar pipe with a filter, and then computer generated dyno sheets to take advantage of people.

You need to read the road and track article on our CTS again, they were able to prove gains stock vs ours. they tested a stock cts the same day they tested ours. Thats the best way to prove measurable gains IMO.

The XLR-V article by motortrend was not our best foot forward, I will be the first to say that. We had a modded V with not so sticky tires on it. Next time we do something like that we will put a better compound tire on it. but i'm sure we will get bashed for that too.

If this intake is crap then why is it that numerous customers have chimed in saying how much they like it. we appreciate our customers, cause without them we wouldn't be able to do these things that we are so passionate about. Most of us here are gear heads, and we strive to bring a good quality product to our customers.

You make a lot of assumptions for never having purchased something from us, but I know it easy and fun jumping on the "I hate D3" band wagon.

Mark,

You are quite honestly the only guy over there that seems to have his head even remotely screwed on straight. Thanks for taking the time to post. I haven't said anything bad about you guys in a while. I purposely stayed out of the Supercharger thread, the Lucurne fiasco over in N*, and another one (slips my mind). D3 bashing has just gotten old over time. Every once in a while though I feel compelled to tos my $0.02 in.

I'll be honest I didn't read the R&T article about the CTS, I thought you were refering the the XLR-V article.

Anyway, I noticed you said the CTS kits was mandrel bent aluminum. I'm pretty sure that the STS-V one was not (mild steel w/ crimps). Also I note you didn't address your maf translator.

I don't see me ever buying anything from you guys unless you start to make something for the CTS V1, or maybe the V2 later. I doubt you will though because you guys know we will rake you over the coals if you don't come correct, and quite frankly I don't think you can. You were talking big about your plans for the V2, but to my knowledge haven;t come up with anything. Two other vendors are already offering stuff, that don;t have the 'inside access to GM engineers' like you guys do...what's the hold up?

When are you guys going to run that XLR-V like you promised you would, so many months ago?

You guys need to do a lot to win me, and a lot of other people over, because of you track record. If you guys step up, and start living up to even half of your promises, that will go a long way in swaying opinion, but I'm not holding my breath. Untill such time I will continue to call a spade a spade.

And again, I don;t expect you to address many or any of my points, rather call me a hater.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Clutch Mustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now) <-- SOLD

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

[quote=scoutpilot;1797156]
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLapCoastie View Post

By your logic, I could offer to sell you an Abrams tank for $3 billion, and you would be in no position to say it wasn't worth that much because you'd never driven it.

Yes - that is correct - glad to see you're at least paying attention if not learning.

The difference between your approach and mine is even if I felt the tank was not worth it personally I would not make assumptions of relative value (assuming there are options) and bash either the manufacturer or other people who decided to buy the tank at that price (recall the "I've got a bridge to sell you" comment) without experiencing the benefits of the product myself. One approach assumes arrogant omniscience while the other recognizes people make choices based on a wide range of variables and "value" or "worth" are not determinations that can be universally dictated.

It's not your determination of value for yourself that bothers me, it is the fact that you obviously felt compelled to cast judgement upon the company and ostensibly the people that chose to purchase the product without even trying it. At some point one needs to put up or shut up.

[quote=OneLapCoastie;1797486]

Yes - that is correct - glad to see you're at least paying attention if not learning.
    That's not "learning" chief, that's pointing out the fallacy of your argument. All you've taught us so far is how to be butthurt on the internet.

The difference between your approach and mine is even if I felt the tank was not worth it personally I would not make assumptions of relative value (assuming there are options) and bash either the manufacturer or other people who decided to buy the tank at that price (recall the "I've got a bridge to sell you" comment) without experiencing the benefits of the product myself.
    First, all value is relative. There's no absolute value in a market system. But I don't want to get too deep in the weeds over that. Secondly, take me out of the equation and let it be the manufacturer of the tank that tells you it's worth $3 billion. Assume as well that it's not your first rodeo and you have experience with a lot of tanks. Now you're in a far better position to make a judgment - a position much closer to the situation in this discussion.

It's not your determination of value for yourself that bothers me, it is the fact that you obviously felt compelled to cast judgement upon the company and ostensibly the people that chose to purchase the product without even trying it. At some point one needs to put up or shut up.
    Yup. I sure did cast judgment about their claims. And if you can read through your tears, you'll see that I have asked reasonable questions about the claimed gains and the other effects of the product. How unreasonable!

You're free to fall at D3's feet and thank them for being so gracious as to make a profit off customers. I just see them as a company whose product needs to be vetted and whose pricing is driven by their monopoly power.

Jayson2008CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

You can buy one for $225 and get the SAME HP d3 is a name you are paying for the name and look that D3 gives you . Not the HP

Jayson2008CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

You can buy one for $225 and get the SAME HP d3 is a name you are paying for the name and look that D3 gives you . Not the HP

Oldschooler08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdestination28 View Post
    I have gotten a lot of people telling me that this intake is overpriced and that all intakes do the same thing. Also, apparently Cold Air Intakes are supposed to be the best kind of intakes and I don't see the word Cold in any of the descriptions about the intake. What do you guys think, is this intake too overpriced and does it preform as well as a CAI?
    I've got the perfect deal for you. I have a D3 intake I had on my '09 CTS for about 2k miles before I traded for a V. It's cluttering up my garage. I'll let you have it for $150. I was one of the first few on the group buy. Let me know if you're interested.

Mrdestination28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14CTSV-Sport/13ATS 3.6L/09CTS 3.6 DI/06Escalade ESV Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschooler08 View Post
    I've got the perfect deal for you. I have a D3 intake I had on my '09 CTS for about 2k miles before I traded for a V. It's cluttering up my garage. I'll let you have it for $150. I was one of the first few on the group buy. Let me know if you're interested.

Man I wish you were around when I bought this intake like 2 weeks before they mentioned anything about the group buy. I am happy with it and I do feel a difference in the response but whether or not I feel that it was worth the money is different. I am happy with the intake and I have gotten my fair share of enjoyment out of it, but at the same time I feel it would have been much better if the filter was placed lower so that it could have greater access to the colder outside air coming through the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdestination28 View Post
    Man I wish you were around when I bought this intake like 2 weeks before they mentioned anything about the group buy. I am happy with it and I do feel a difference in the response but whether or not I feel that it was worth the money is different. I am happy with the intake and I have gotten my fair share of enjoyment out of it, but at the same time I feel it would have been much better if the filter was placed lower so that it could have greater access to the colder outside air coming through the grill.
    I have the same feelings as you about it. it may have had the same power but it felt better off of the line. To anyone else, the offer is still valid. $150 plus shipping for my barely used D3 intake.

THMorrill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 Black Diamond CTS-V Wagon. '08 Silver CTS w/ DI & FE2

Oldschooler08-
    Is that intake Chrome or Crinkle? Probably doesnt matter really. I think I'll take it. PayPal work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by THMorrill View Post
    Oldschooler08-
    Is that intake Chrome or Crinkle? Probably doesnt matter really. I think I'll take it. PayPal work for you?
    It is black finish and paypal is fine. PM me with your email address if still interested.

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Snake oil! Get your snake oil here! Shamwow, you'll say wow every time you use it!

Only the truly naive follow the famous "Seat-of-the-pants!!!!" meter to judge gains. Second in line on the naivete scale is believing a manufacturer's dyno claims. 31 RWHP from an exhaust and intake? Please. Assuming a reasonable 15% loss from the flywheel, you're telling me that a tube (plastic, steel, whatever) and a K&N plus a cat-back gave you 36 hp at the shaft? Without headers or a tune? Puh-lease. Crazy how this eluded the Cadillac engineers. I guess they didn't want to compete too well with BMW and Infiniti. They decided to leave that 36 hp untapped in the engine. Maybe they're trying to stimulate the economy by helping D3?

$450...ridiculous. For those economists in the room, you know there is only one source of pricing power for any good in any market: scarcity power. Notice how D3's price of $450 is reasonable when they're the only game in town. When someone else brings an intake to market for the CTS, you can join me for a beer as we watch the price fall.

A friendly tip for Dr. Design....if you want people to take your business seriously, especially people who are fanatical about their Cadillacs, you should really spend $15 of the profit from your next intake sale and get some webjockey to update your website. It's a real turn-off for people when the same products still say "price coming soon" or "image coming soon" and they haven't changed for 6 months. Also, I was told the sway bars for the new CTS won't be made, so those should probably be removed. Just a tip from someone who really wanted to spend some money on your stuff, but was thoroughly turned off.

As for the intake, well...ask around to some non-CTS people. Do your own research. Go to another car forum and tell them you'll be getting 18+ rwhp from an intake alone. See what they think.
    Well said!

THMorrill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 Black Diamond CTS-V Wagon. '08 Silver CTS w/ DI & FE2

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschooler08 View Post
    It is black finish and paypal is fine. PM me with your email address if still interested.
    Absolutely! However, I am too much of a NOOB to PM anyone but Staff yet so if you can send me ur prefered contact info then I will reach you with my information.

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

I bought one. Worth $450? Not hardly. I paid cts2008lover $200 for his almost new kit. For $200 I like it. I can't say it adds anything to the butt dyno, since when I installed it, we were still hitting 50F outside, but lately it's been 95-99F and I'm almost positive any gains I had, are now moot because of the weather.

I like the sound it has, except for the occasional whistling (I guess from the throttle body + butterfly , how the air moves over it).

Worth it for $450? Not in my opinion. But remember it is a premium product for a premium vehicle. It's not like you're putting donuts on all four wheels or anything. It's a nice looking intake, and like any bling, it's going to cost you.

I wish our cars had more development, like the G35 we bought my girlfriend. I can buy intakes, exhaust, forced induction, you name it all day from all sorts of companies. Unfortunately we're stuck with one or two.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.