Catback Exhaust for AWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Catback Exhaust for AWD in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just purchased an 08 CTS DI AWD. I've been searching to see ...
    SIN-7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Catback Exhaust for AWD

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just purchased an 08 CTS DI AWD. I've been searching to see what performance exhaust are available for the CTS. So far it seems that the exhaust systems are only offered in the RWD configuration, such as Magnaflow.

If anyone knows of an AWD exhaust system please let me know. I see that gm offers a catback exhaust, does anyone know if this will fit an AWD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Catback Exhaust for AWD

Well, I went down to the dealership and asked them if the gm catback would fit the AWD. They weren't 100% sure, but in they're system it did not indicate that it would not fit.

I said screw it and took the risk. When it comes in all try it out and post back if anyone is interested.

yatesd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony

Welcome to the forum! For some reason, I haven't seen anyone buy the GM performance exhaust. GM certainly does a poor job of marketing it, since they don't make any statements about sound quality or performance.

Please let us know if it fits, if it seems to provide additional kick, and the quality of the sound. Pictures and sound clips are also appreciated!

Radguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Welcome SIN-7.
    I'd also like to get the details of this exhaust once you get it installed.
    I have an '09 AWD DI, and as far as I know, there are currently no options for us.

Corsa is apparently developing a system for the V2 from what I've read on the forum, but there's no mention of a system in development for the regular CTS.

It would be nice to be able, at some point, to have the option of a CAI (already available from D3), a cat back exhaust, and a tune for the DI--should make an already great car even better!

CarSmartLady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I just had a magnaflow exhaust from cats back on my 2008 CTS 3.6 AWD and I have nothing but computer problems, it sounds great but cadillac can not change the codes for the check engine light. I am going to try a speed shop before putting my original back on. Good Luck
    Barbara

beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

SIN-7 let me know how the new exhaust system sounds and performs. I am interested in getting the GM performance exhaust, but because it meets all sound regulations, i'm afraid that the performance boost might be marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by CarSmartLady View Post
    I just had a magnaflow exhaust from cats back on my 2008 CTS 3.6 AWD and I have nothing but computer problems, it sounds great but cadillac can not change the codes for the check engine light. I am going to try a speed shop before putting my original back on. Good Luck
    Barbara
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the magnaflow. That's why I'm hoping that the gm exhaust will bolt right up to the AWD. This way anything that goes wrong because of the exhaust should be covered.

Did Cadillac tell you what the error was that was setting off your check engine light? I assume if it is because of the cat back exhaust it can only be related to the rear O2 sensors. If that is the case I would look into some O2 simulators, so you can keep your exhaust.

This cat back Magnaflow was it the one for the RWD CTS? And did it just bolt on to your AWD or did you have it modified?

The gm performance exhaust has come in. But I won't have time to work on it for about two weeks. I'll be sure to keep you all updated on the install, as well as photo's.

On a side note I just installed the D3 Intake, my wife got me for Christmas. I love this thing. I only have a couple of small issues with it, but overall a great product.

Well, I took the exhaust out of the box and took some pictures, but I can't post them here yet. I get this message:

"In an effort to stamp out forum SPAM only members with either:

1. A specific amount of forum posts 2. Membership of at least a specific amount of time 3. Or a combination of both

...have the ability to post website links or email addresses. Stick with us for awhile..."

The exhaust is stainless and the piping is 2.25". There is no X-pipe in it, and the exhaust tips look like the stock tips. The tips are the same size as the stock tips at 3".

I'm hoping that I will have time to put it on tomorrow. I had a look under the car and I'm pretty sure it will bolt right up.

For those who are interested the exhaust bolts up fine. I guess it doesn't matter if an exhaust is for RWD or AWD.

beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

how does the exhaust sound? can you feel any performance difference?

If you can put up some videos on youtube or anything, it would be very appreciated.

I drove the car to work today and man I was pissed, the exhaust sounded like shit. It had way to much drone in the cab, I planned on taking it off when I got home.

When got home I jacked up the car and noticed that the exhaust was touching a cross-brace. I thought I check everything when I install it, to make sure it wasn't touching anything. So I re-adjusted the exhaust and wow this sounds way better. I really like the sound of it now. Not at all annoying or loud. I'll see if I can get a video up.

As for the performance, I really thought I wouldn't notice anything, but there is a definite increase in pick-up when you give it throttle. I know people will argue this, but I feel it is night and day difference in how it pulls. I also have the D3 intake so I'm sure the combination accounts for this. I think this is a great product and would put it on again in a heartbeat.

I noticed I can post pictures now. Here is the Gm performance exhaust:

Some more pics of the stock and gm performance exhaust.

Stock Mufflers

bobelew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Great job on the photos. Thanks.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

I'm very impressed and relieved to hear that you were able to get decent sound and preliminary "butt-dyno" confirmation of extra power. Ever consider putting it on a dyno or running it out to a track? Heck, I'd fork out these bucks if I thought it could take a few 1/10ths of a sec off the 0-60 of my CTS-4.

Although the CTS is plenty quick, I can't stand the thought of losing bragging rights to the G35x...

Quote Originally Posted by Northern SRX View Post
    I'm very impressed and relieved to hear that you were able to get decent sound and preliminary "butt-dyno" confirmation of extra power. Ever consider putting it on a dyno or running it out to a track? Heck, I'd fork out these bucks if I thought it could take a few 1/10ths of a sec off the 0-60 of my CTS-4.

Although the CTS is plenty quick, I can't stand the thought of losing bragging rights to the G35x...

I not sure I would put the CTS on a dyno, I would first have to find an AWD dyno in my area. Plus if I did get it on a dyno I would like to have something to tune it with. But that may happen since someone on this forum mentioned that HPtuners should be supporting the CTS in May of this year.

It's in the middle of winter here in Canada, Alberta so bringing it to a track is out of the question.

As for beating a G35x, I think we would need a supercharger to do so in a AWD CTS. Problem is that an AWD CTS weighs about 500 to 600 pounds more than a G35x. I think that with an exhaust and intake on a RWD CTS, it would take a G35x.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.