d3 dyno results (in awe)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, d3 dyno results (in awe) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Maybe I'm stupid for having to announce this, but did anyone realize that d3's 31 rwhp gain was with an ...
    ngiardina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS DI Fully Loaded, Magnaflow, CAI, F1 Tint, Rosen TVs

d3 dyno results (in awe)

Maybe I'm stupid for having to announce this, but did anyone realize that d3's 31 rwhp gain was with an axle-back exhaust?? How amazing is it that changing the air filter/tube and the muffler resulted in 31rwhp? I come from the Honda camp where an intake and cat-back yield 8 rwhp. Does anyone think that in GM's efforts to keep the Cadillac brand quiet that they robbed 20+ rwhp from the CTS? At 304 flywheel, adding 20 rwhp would make the advertised number somewhere around 340.

I think this car has serious performance potential, especially with CAFE regulations. The ECM has to have a "fuel economy" tune in it.

For those of us who cannot afford the V, a couple well spent dollars in the aftermarket (with d3) could yield some very respectable performance numbers.

Just a thought...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jjsC6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Re: d3 dyno results (in awe)

Nick, pardon me if I missed something, but I think the only dyno results being posted are those by the supplier. With all due respect, I've seen more hp claims that I can even begin to remember that were highly exagerated. It's easy to do - even if not intended, by comparing dyno results with totally different temperature corrections, heat soaked engines etc.

I've been around cars and dyno runs where cold air and cat back exhausts were added quite a bit. 31 at the wheels just doesn't sound feasible to me - especially in this case where it is over 10% improvement. I say we need to wait until a few owners actually run before and after numbers.

I know, the supplier is the one quoting the numbers. I know how to weasel a dyno pull, all of that.

More my point, that didn't come off well last night when I was crocked: They saw a "significant" increase with a muffler and air filter.

On my Hondas and Acuras, all you would end up with was some nice sounds. (and maybe 5hp from a CAI and cat-back)

My thoughts on the V not gaining much in exhaust mods are that Caddy intends that to be an enthusiast's car from the factory, and they would be quite content with a louder exhaust, whereas the base CTS is intended for the general public, and most of them would not want to rumble, and just thought that maybe the stock muffler is SO restrictive in order to keep status quo.

I feel like that came out better.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Just think of what they can do if they replace the muffler bearings with better units!!

Capco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Whats the difference between a axle-back exhaust and cat-back system?

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I don't know what D3 considers "axle back", but the term is traditionally used when the stock resonators are left in place and everything behind them is replaced (basically just the mufflers and tips).

A "cat back" replaces everything behind the stock cats, including the resonators.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Just think of what they can do if they replace the muffler bearings with better units!!

...and if we flush and fill the seat cusion fluid, and tweak the flux capacitor!!!

I guess I deserved that, my post did sound like a kid who just saw a commercial for GI Joe with the Kung-Fu Grip!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by ngiardina View Post
    ...and if we flush and fill the seat cusion fluid, and tweak the flux capacitor!!!

I guess I deserved that, my post did sound like a kid who just saw a commercial for GI Joe with the Kung-Fu Grip!
    All in good fun my n00bian friend...

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I will note that in the 545i/550i E60 BMWs there's a separate activated-charcoal filter under the normal pleated-paper air filter for evap emissions reasons, and Steve Dinan claims they found a very significant HP bump (20HP?) in just removing the charcoal filter.

Crazy things man. Change the intake on a Ford Powerstroke 7.3 and reap 37rwhp!

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    The numbers that were posted are very accurate. We dont fluff up our numbers. The increases in performance were measured at the wheels. If we wanted to make this more "marketing hype" we would have posted what the overall gain was measured at the flywheel.

We were very pleased with the outcome of our testing and proved that will proper engineering and design we were able to substantially increase power and torque. We cant vouch for the "claims" from other companies in the industry, nor are we concerned about their claims. There is a reason we have a filing cabinet filled with dyno sheets and data. We test and prove our products. If you know how to properly calculate the volume needed you can make more power with an aftermarket system than you would with the factory system. We have no problem validating any of our modifications. We look forward to releasing these new products.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I'm anxious to see exactly what people get out of D3's performance upgrades. For me, it is the performance potential of the new CTS (with aftermarket parts) that will have me either interested or not. The CTS-V is out of my league, pricewise. However, a regular CTS with 340hp at the flywheel would have me very impressed... It would be, in my opinion, possibly the best looking car out there - priced right - and not easily embarrassed by the 350Zs and Hyundai Genesis' on the road.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

I thought we proved the gains with the numerous vehicles dyno tested to show these gains... Not to mention that numerous customers that have purchased the product and have been happy with the intakes performance. That's why we do the testing before the product goes into production.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Apparently the 3.6L DI motor really likes cold air.
    Check this camaro thread out.
    http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42289

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.