Cadillac Owners Forum banner

P0496 and P0443 Solved

17K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Long 
#1 ·
All,
Figured I'd share the following information since it was a bit difficult to find on here for our car. I have a 2013 Cadillac CTS4 Premium with the 3.6L V6 engine (and about 89,000 miles on the odometer).

Problem: A few weeks ago I had topped off my tank at the gas station. I don't normally top off the tank, but I wanted to round up the nearest dollar (stupid me). A few days (and ~50-100 miles later) and my CEL pops up. Code that comes up is P0496. Engine seemed to hesitate a little more than normal, but otherwise I don't notice much. What I found on this site (for other models/generations) seemed to indicate the purge solenoid was the problem. When waiting for the replacement part, I had filled up again and the car had trouble starting (cranked for 5-7 seconds before starting).

Solution: I ordered the part from the Cadillac dealer near me (the parts department guy did a great job helping me out). It was AC Delco Part Number 12610560 and cost about $58. The part came in an AC Delco bag, but is actually made by Bosch. A little bit of googling led me to this youtube video called PO496 Evap System Flow During Non-Purge Cadillac STS. The trouble shooting and replacement of the component is identical. I think the bolt is a size 10mm to remove. There is a small "fuel line clip" that helps secure the inlet to the purge solenoid that the guy in the video specifically says "be careful and don't break this." Naturally, I broke it. Thankfully, they sells these at my local Advance Auto Parts at $5 for a half-dozen. After replacement, I checked my scan tool again and found that I had codes P0496 (still) and P0443 (new). I believe this popped up when you disconnect the electrical connector from the old solenoid for trouble shooting.

Post Solution: I cleared the codes, and about 150 miles and a few days later, everything seems to be working wonderfully. Subjectively, the car feels a lot better than it has in a while during driving. No engine hesitation and acceleration is smooth. I will update if the problem comes back, but I think this solved it.

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you for this post!

I had a P0496 code. I replaced the fuel purge vent valve and reset the engine code and so far so good. found a good video from a1 auto’s youtube.

Just to add: I accidentally snapped the white retainer clip when unhooking the back of the valve from the fuel line, but eventually found an equivalent part, Dorman 800-023. I couldn’t find any direct info about this clip working with the CTS, so figured i’d add this in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

#4 ·
Good share, alphadg21.

I always find when someone states "be careful and don't break this" in a video, it is GUARANTEED to break. :D

#8 ·
My car just threw code - P0496 Thanks for adding the info about the "be careful, don't break this" Fuel Line Clip (Dorman 800-023). Not sure I would understand if explained, but can somebody tell me exactly what this component does beyond not allowing my car to pass the emission test (Illinois vehicles are required to complete an emissions test every 2 years, beginning when it is 4 model years old)

#9 ·
It is my understanding that these components are responsible for capturing fuel vapors that would otherwise be released to the atmosphere and reintroducing them back into the fuel system.

Reactions: CaddyFred
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.