Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Best way to lift.....

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out the best way to lift and support the entire car on four jack stands. Anyone done this????

#3 ·
Thanks Tin. I've jacked my car may times one corner at a time. What I want to do is lift all corners and support the car on jack stands to remove all wheels at the same time. I have two floor jacks but want to know i.e. front first, then rear or one side and then the other....

#4 ·
I have used a 4 x 4 placed under the car parallel to the side and under the doors - using the uniframe. I just jack it up with my floor jack and then place the jackstands in place. I can't remember if I did the side to side method or the front and back method. But a 4 x 4 or even a 2 x 4 works nicely. About 4 or 5 feet long. I just gives extra support and strength to the jack point.

#6 ·
I was thinking about this today. Maybe an easier way is to lift the rear using the rear differential with, again, a piece of wood between jack and differential. Install stands in rear. Then do same up front using center of engine cradle (and wood). It's as easy as installing an O-ring!

Reactions: steve755
#8 ·
Doing the front lift first makes perfectly good and logical sense. I have a 3" x 3" x 1/4" thick piece of stainless steel angle that I use for a wheel chock, so I don't think of saying to chock the wheels, it is just a habit of mine. Good point, smithb.

As for the rear diff lift, I have done it once and everything is okay, but was I lucky? If it were me I would definitely do it again, but, hell, what's money if I destroy my diff? Then I can get a new diff to go along with my new trans and new engine. And it would be my fault, of course.

Reactions: steve755
#11 ·
Just to close this out. I did my lift yesterday without issue. Drove the front up on two pieces of 2x10 to get it up 3". Then proceeded to lift and support the RR and moving over to the LR. RF was next and finally the LF. Took it down the same way but only slid one 2by under the front. As always - thanks for the "support" TIN :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.