Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Front end noise over small bumps (solved)

18K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Trailmug 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently diagnosed and fixed a sound I would describe as a crunch, grinding, rattle, or clunk (trying to hit as many search terms as possible) in the front suspension on my 2008 AWD CTS. It was noticeable below 40MPH over small road imperfections, particularly those that affected only one side. I've had a broken stabilizer bar link on a previous car, and it sounded very similar. I noticed the stabilizer bar links were turned against the stops, so I rotated them back to center. The noise seemed gone or greatly reduced, but a day or so later, it was back. The links were again turned against the stops, so I rotated them back to center, which quieted them once more. I wasn't able to immediately identify any other problem with them. I installed MOOG's "problem solver" links with grease fittings and wrench flats, and the problem is fixed.

I couldn't find a similar story, so I thought I would add my experiences, and hopefully save somebody from premature control arm replacement or other costly guesses.

Auto part Copper Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a clunk when going over a recessed bump... Sounds like the strut bottoms out. I have no leakage and the car handles right.
I wonder if I have the same issue you have? These links aren't very expensive, any reason you didn't replace tours?
(I'd like to get the clunk issue I'm having fixed- dealer said they couldn't find anything)

#3 ·
I did replace both front links, and the noise hasn't returned. I'd take the wheel off and see if you can get any metal-to-metal contact prying the control arms sideways and the bushing where the strut attaches to the control arm. If not, give the links a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.