Sub Standard Black Raven Paint? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Sub Standard Black Raven Paint? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by jeffc83 I'm happy with it too...Although I have been keyed by a few that I have some ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83

I'm happy with it too...Although I have been keyed by a few that I have some choice words for, it's held up very well!
    Mine has held up well too, but I admit I do obsess over it. Not because I feel I need to, but I enjoy looking at it when it has the deep wet gloss look to it.

M5eater likes this.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post

Mine has held up well too, but I admit I do obsess over it. Not because I feel I need to, but I enjoy looking at it when it has the deep wet gloss look to it.
    100% agreed there...she gets washed once a week when possible. (its been raining here practically everyday for a few weeks now so I haven't lately, reminds me of the summers in Florida) Nothing beats that deep black shiny look!

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

Sub Standard Black Raven Paint?

Just a curious question here.. Coming from a few Hondas for the last 12 years, Ive experienced really decent paint finishes on my previous cars..

With the CTS Coupe( Black Raven) It appears that the Finish scratches wayy too easy, and there is a lot of orange peel in it as well..Im guessing this is a single stage paint, but there definitely seems not to be enough sprayed... Additionally in south Fl. Birds love to poop on the cars when they are clean ( cruel Joke) but with a bird dropping S*** on the car, the paint stains in less than like 5 hrs.. Ive never seen bird poop eat into the finish like that before.. Anyone notice the pint seems rather way too delicate? Im assuming the DIAMOND tri-s and white pearls have additional clear over the pearls, so Im curious to see if I'm the only one noticing this...

Please chime in guys! I appreciate the input....

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
    No, it's not a single stage paint job. Auto manufactures haven't used single stage in decades.

No, the three stage paints get no extra clear coat. And it wouldn't matter, as the surface is the surface no matter how thick the clear is. Anything that would show on one coat, would show on 5 coats.

Are you sure you're just not used to having a black car?

DaddysCaddy13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Re: Sub Standard Black Raven Paint?

I totally agree with you! This is my first GM product in almost 20yrs (previous cars Acura,Lexus) and it seems like the slightest little thing will leave a scratch or chip on these cars?? What gives ...... I have a black raven also SMH

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    fps_dean and jamiejam1 like this.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 Black Raven 3.6 ATS4 (BD 8/12)

My ATS black raven scratches really easy. And for birds they will stain this paint within a couple hours. My wife's black Honda pilot barely gets washed and the paint is really nice. I wash mine a couple times a week and the scratches are very noticeable as soon as it gets a little dust on it. The paint isn't very good. Love the car though.
    jamiejam1 likes this.

dan87951 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Too many cars to list...

That's just the nature of black regardless of manufacture. I have a black Porsche that is almost impossible to keep clean and scratch free.

monogram124 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hey JJ. Like the other posters have said, my black raven also scratches really easily which I'm used to (I also own a black truck) The part that is disappointing is how easily it stains tho. Anything (bird poop, leaves, etc) that's left on more than a couple hours will leave a spot in the clear coat. My Dodge doesn't do that.

eye4aneye83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts4 premium black raven, 05 escalade ext, pearl white
    I'll chime in on this subject as well. I too have a black raven 2011 cts4 premium sedan. I bought it certified preowned with 17k on her. Absolutely mint.
    Within 7 months of ownership it now has minute scratches and swirls all over it. I am meticulous with keeping it clean and still these pop up out of nowhere.
    Even if I try to lightly clean off bird poop, it will leave light scratches on the paint.
    I love the car but the paint is horrible.

techtype is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Luxury Sedan

The Tri-Coat Crystal Red is soft also, it's not just the black.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    No, it's not a single stage paint job. Auto manufactures haven't used single stage in decades.

No, the three stage paints get no extra clear coat. And it wouldn't matter, as the surface is the surface no matter how thick the clear is. Anything that would show on one coat, would show on 5 coats.

Are you sure you're just not used to having a black car?
    Well considering this is my 4th Black car, last 2 were Hondas all were Championship caliber show cars, all daily driven, all washed weekly and bi weekly, waxed and detailed constantly, One even wet sanded to bring down a little Orange peel, and Ive always detailed with 3M Perfect-it Products, Im pretty confident I know what I am referring to here. The paint finish is very soft and easily blemished.. Apparently, I am not the only one who feels this way.... FTW Dodge still used a single stage place paint on "SOME" vehicles

----------

Id Love to know what Cadillac's position is on this...

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
    Sorry, forgot to read your mind and know your vehicle and detailing history I guess...

What Dodge uses single stage??
    jamiejam1 likes this.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 Raven V sedan, Current '13 Thunder Gray V coupe
    In addition to "soft" black paint, my '09 sedan had areas of thin paint where I could see the lighter colored primer showing through. Mostly around the door handles.

Actually from what Im told, the Dodge Chargers did up till maybe a year or two ago the code was PX8 I believe...

FTW Most shops when they "Shoot" tint Tail lights or headlights use a 1/4 Pint of clear coat with a 1/4 Oz of Dodge Single Stage black as well, mix it up, and then shoot layers till the correct darkness is attained.. It's considered to be the blackest, of the blackest paint out there..

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

16. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.