Cadillac Owners Forum banner

AUX Port Not Working

27K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Porkchop91 
#1 ·
I purchased a used 2010 Cadillac CTS Luxury AWD model with 35k miles last week.

Loving the car. Only one complaint. I am finding it difficult to get the AUX input in the center console to recognize anything. I have tried two different cables that I have tested on my home stereo. I have tested with a bluetooth receiver as well. None of these options are causing the head unit to change to the AUX input as the manual said it should. A good wiggle, shake and plugging it in and out 20 times results in nothing. There is noting in the port preventing it from going all the way in. When I press the AUX button on the head unit it says " NO AUX" or something like that.

I am reaching out to see if anyone else has had this trouble before. Is there something I am missing?

#2 ·
Hi taylorsnow,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this issue with the AUX input in your CTS. Have you tried contacting infotainment about this concern? They can be reached at 855-428-3669 and are available from 8am to 10pm EST, seven days a week. If they are unable to assist in a resolution, please feel free to PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership, and personal contact information so I can look into it from my end.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#3 ·
Someone with better knowledge than I have will speak up to help you.

Bluetooth does not work for music (sigh). Only the phone. Hence the need for the aux cable. Welcome to 2005 technology.

#4 ·
Sadly I didn't think about calling Cadillac Customer Service. I will try to call after work today and see what they can tell my. Thanks for the reply tinman. My goal here is to use this bluetooth receiver and plug it in the center console to hide all the wires. I will update this form after my call with Customer Service.

----------

I called the number Cadillac Customer Service provided. A friendly voice with no advice answered. He suggested that I take it to the dealer, the dealer service center said to take it to my sales rep, my sales rep said he is out until tomorrow. So i wait another day.

Hopefully they can tell me something, XM radio is nice and clear but not always what I want to hear.

#6 ·
Hi taylorsnow,

I’m sorry to hear that you were not able to reach a resolution when you contacted infotainment. Again, I’d be happy to add an additional layer of assistance and reach out to your dealership on your behalf. If you’re interested, please send me a PM at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
Well I went to the GM Dealer last Friday. They charged me $80 and an hour of my time to tell me that my iPhone 5s wasn't compatible with the AUX input in the 2010. They printed me a book of information (that was already in my car manual) for the upgraded USB & AUX system that I do not have. They were so stuck on the verbiage in the manual that they couldn't get past the fact that my car ONLY has an AUX port. The stuck with their story of my device not being compatible.

In theory I should be able to use a portable walkman from the 80's in that port. In theory I should be able to plug anything with a 3.5mm jack into that input. The dealer refused to give me a discount or anything like that and said I would have to buy a compatible device.

I have called GM, I have taken it to the dealer, I have asked friends. Not to sure what to do here. This might seem very trivial to some, but I really do not want to rely on CDs or the radio for drive entertainment.

Anyone have suggestions?

#10 ·
I love when dealers don't know their product. AUX ports don't care what device is plugged in, so long as it outputs audio. They are stuck on USB obviously... Check your phone on a couple different devices/cars to make sure that's not the problem, then test a couple different devices on your car, as others have said. Demonstrate what you've found to the dealer and demand your $80 back for doing the job they should've done in the first place.

#11 ·
Thanks for clarifying that I am not crazy here.

I have verified with my phone and the same AUX cable in another car that everything is working. Like others have said, it doesn't matter what plugs into the port, it should recognize anything in there. Something is broken that tells the head unit there is something in the AUX port.

They really are stuck on the USB features that are not even present in my model.

I have an iPod Shuffle in a box somewhere, I will test that out and show them the compatible listed device does not work.

#12 ·
So out of curiosity, what happens when after you plug in a/any device into the AUX port then push the AUX button on the head unit? Does it switch and say AUX on the display or just stay on the Radio as if you never pushed the button? If it does switch to AUX on the display then will your device play?

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried this, thinking that whatever tells the head unit something is plugged in was broken. When I plug something into it and press the AUX button, it just tells me "NO AUX DEVICE" and keeps playing the radio. The display will show that for maybe two seconds and then go back to the standard display screen.

#14 ·
From what you are saying it sounds like the AUX port itself is bad or there is a loose connection somewhere beginning at the actual AUX-in port on the head unit, running down the wire and ending in the AUX port under the arm rest. Also sounds like the dealer you went do does not know how to listen to it's customers complaints. Go to another dealer. I use my aux port 90% of the time I am in the car. I would go nuts if it wasn't working, lol.

#15 ·
Well I went back to the same dealership yesterday. I actually got someone to listen and understand I am just trying to use the AUX line in and it has nothing to do with bluetooth. After testing some other cars on the lot, a call do GM Engineering, more testing, I think I may be out of luck. Its either my head unit is bad bador the switch inside of the AUX port is bad.

There is a circuit that closes when you insert something into the AUX port, that circuit closing tells the head unit there is something in the port. GM Engineering said there is a way to make the port think there is always something in the port. The said there is a "switch" between the head unit and the port. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram for that.

The dealership left this print out of the center console breakout, so I took it. They told me that #41 on this sheet is the wire harness from the head unit into the console. Also where my AUX port comes from. Well its not that simple. I forgot to take pictures of the cable when I had the back part of the console apart. But nothing appeared wrong with the port, it holds on to a 3.5mm cable just find, nothing is loose there. I found that #41 is not as simple as it shows in this diagram. This holds the cables for all three power/cig plugs and the AUX cable.
http://cl.ly/image/1k1W1D171g31

So it got the best of me last night and I dug into the console and dash.
http://cl.ly/image/192E3b1c1i3q
http://cl.ly/image/2b093a3E3n0g

I managed to get to the head unit and the wire harness.
http://cl.ly/image/3w3p3K2G0B09
http://cl.ly/image/3w0K0F3B2M3G

Under the shifter panel is this connection about 5 inches from the head unit. It only had about 5 pins on the inside, and I think it was all GPS and XM radio since when I unplugged it XM died.
http://cl.ly/image/0z2C3k11292D

My goal here was to find a clear line between the AUX port and the head unit so i could attempt to manual close that circuit. I did gain some confidence from doing this that I can replace the head unit with ease. However some quick research and browsing on eBay makes me question if the head unit has to have the VIN programmed into it. All of this effort to connect a bluetooth adapter for music and turn by turn navigation.

After putting the car back together last night i ended up digging up a Lightning Cable FM Modulator I had for my old setup. I can at least play static / music... :-(

#16 ·
I have a 2010 CTS. Auxiliary and USB have worked with no issues for years. Recently (while my phone is plugged in via AUX) I would get a static crackle through the speakers that would fade out within seconds when I remove my phone charger from the rear cig lighter port (backseat port at fake ashtray). This only happened sometimes. Now the AUX crapped out. With phone volume maxed and radio maxed you get faintly hear the music. If the tuner is set to radio, hdd, etc. It will change over to AUX upon plug in. So the connection is there. Took all apart and wiggled everything (AUX, USB, Cig lighter wires) and nothing. Eventually found this post. But it kinda ends. Curious if anyone found a solution or the part number for the wire and/port. Any help would be much appreciated as I solely rely on my phone for music. Ipod is a pain to constantly update music and the radio or XM is not for me. If this solution is in another section a link would be great. I'm new here and my 1st post. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.