'12 Coupe new to me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, '12 Coupe new to me in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi guys. I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii. I recently sold my C5 Vette and thought it was time to move from ...
    HawnCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

'12 Coupe new to me

Hi guys. I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii. I recently sold my C5 Vette and thought it was time to move from a sports car to a sports coupe. I wanted something befitting my age (70), yet sporty. The CTS coupe lite my fire. I purchased a '12 coupe from California. It has 17,000 miles on the clock and is in like new condition. I had it shipped to Hawaii and I'm due to pick up it up in a few days.

I can not let well enough alone and wanted to do a few upgrades: K&N cold induction system and a full cat back exhaust. I spoke to the local Cadillac service dept. rep; told him what I wanted to do and he told me those changes would void the remaining 2 yrs. of the car's warranty. I've never had these issues with any of the other cars I've owned.

Anyone run into this or is he blowing smoke up my butt?

DJ
    aka HawnCoupe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: '12 Coupe new to me

There are multiple threads and opinions on your warranty question , as well as the objective/subjective merits of CAI`s YMMV

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by HawnCoupe View Post
    Hi guys. I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii. I recently sold my C5 Vette and thought it was time to move from a sports car to a sports coupe. I wanted something befitting my age (70), yet sporty. The CTS coupe lite my fire. I purchased a '12 coupe from California. It has 17,000 miles on the clock and is in like new condition. I had it shipped to Hawaii and I'm due to pick up it up in a few days.

I can not let well enough alone and wanted to do a few upgrades: K&N cold induction system and a full cat back exhaust. I spoke to the local Cadillac service dept. rep; told him what I wanted to do and he told me those changes would void the remaining 2 yrs. of the car's warranty. I've never had these issues with any of the other cars I've owned.

Anyone run into this or is he blowing smoke up my butt?

DJ
    aka HawnCoupe
    Warranty coverage can only be denied on components that are directly impacted by modifications. This is covered by Federal law. Although some interpretation is always in the middle of this, you should be OK

vfaninva is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    The guy is either trying to blow smoke up your keister or he's incompetent. Ask him if he's ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The dealership would have to prove that any mod you did caused a problem.
    CAI and aftermarket exhaust should not be a problem.
    Heck, my dealership installed my Corsa Sport exhaust!
    tinman likes this.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Welcome and congrads. did you get AWD or RWD? What color combo? I hope you ran the vin and a carfax.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Yes, you got a beautiful ride. Congrats and welcome.

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Congrats. We have the same exact coupe and love it

Guys thanks for the comeback. I have a tri coat red with a tan interior. It's a RWD, sunroof, no nav. I have to remove
    the California tint as it does not meet Hawaii standards. New tint will be installed in two days. I ordered a fitted indoor
    Car Cover from carcover.com. It fit like a circus tent. It took me 3 days to make arrangements to return it. I lose my $50
    rush shipping fee and I must pay to ship it back and will be charged a 15% restocking fee. Does anyone know where I can order a good indoor, fitted car cover for under $150?
    A friend of mine who is a well know and respected tuner in NY told me not to bother with a CAI and cat back system or a
    Tune. He recommends a K&N air intake filter and a transmission tune. Until I talk to the service manager of the local
    dealership I don't intend on doing anything at this point. If anything I need a set of mufflers. Too quiet.
    I drove the car around the island yesterday (100 miles) and was please. My GF misses the Vette and is not happy. Tuff!

Wolfster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 3.6DI

Sounds like a great ride you got yourself. Welcome!!

Mike-Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS AWD, Premium
    What is the difference between California tint and Hawaii tint?

vfaninva is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    What is the difference between California tint and Hawaii tint?
    About 2,500 miles.
    Seriously, probably has to do with the difference in darkness allowed in HI.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Hawaii tint can not be less than 30%. The tint on the CTS I bought from Hayward, Ca was 20%. Regarding previous comments I made regarding a CAI system; I spoke to the local Caddy Service manager. He agreed the installing one would not void my warranty unless it was directly was responsible for a mishap. Same with an exhaust system. So I ordered a K&N CAI system. Now I need to choose a set of mufflers that will sound bad but not cause drone. Any recommendations...? Also ordered a RHO plate bracket and another indoor car cover. Appears I'm getting into this..
    I also found out today that someone here registered the domain name "Cadillac Club of Hawaii". I look forward to joining that.
    Thanks to all that welcomed me here and have been responsive to my questions. This CTS is the 55th car that I have owned in my 70 yrs and I rate it in the top 10.
    HurstGN likes this.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Welcome to the "Over 70 & getting it on with a Coupe" club! My previous fun ride was a 350Z but it was getting lower & more cramped as my girl & I age! I'm 72.
    EVH5150 likes this.

Cashr22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
    Welcome to the over 70 coupe club- who said we are old?

70+ ain't old! I'm "mature". Though maybe not enough. Borlas axle back muffles went in last week. Sweet deep rumble. K & N cold air induction system arrived today. That goes in soon. That should do it for me.

The Vette was sporty. The CTS is classy. Classy with a little oomph is good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.