Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Intermittent no start. Click & clicks but don't turn over.

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  zeevert 
#1 ·
I've had an ongoing starting problem for several months. It's been getting worse and worse. (I tried cleaning the battery terminals - no help)
When I turn the key to start, it would click and you could hear the thunk of the starter solenoid/starter drive, but it wouldn't turn over.

Like I said, it was intermittent, so by the time I would try a jump or boost, it would tart anyway.
Finally it got so bad, I was able to hook up my 200amp charger/booster and it still wouldn't start.

The battery voltage seemed a little low (per the DIC), so I decided to try a new battery. It was less than 3 years old, but still relatively cheap to replace. I did have the old battery checked out, and it checked good.
I replaced the battery anyway... because you really don't want to replace your starter.

It had to be the starter solenoid... therefor I need the whole starter.
Replacing the starter is not very easy. I do not recommend trying this yourself. Thank goodness I had a hoist to use.

The information from AllData was pretty close, but they made it sound pretty simple. It is not simple.

When you remove the converter, You may want to consider replacing the upper flange gasket. $17 from AutoZone.

I ordered the new starter from Ebay for $78.

Next are the instructions.....

----------

This is a mix of AllData and my comments. References to size are tool size, not thread size.

Starter Replacement (SFI) (3.6L)

Removal Procedure

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

2. Disconnect the battery negative cable.

3. Remove the left catalytic converter..

4. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.

5. Remove the oil cap & Engine Cover.

6. Remove the strut tower brace; 2 nuts and 2 bolts.

7. There is a small bracket attached to the head just above the top/rear heat shield bolt with a 15mm bolt . remove the wiring connectors and the bracket.

8. Remove the 3x exhaust manifold heat shield bolts. 10mm socket or wrench

9. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield. You can't really remove it, but you can push it out of the way to get to the two top catalytic convertor nuts.

10. Remove the upper exhaust manifold heat shield insulator from the oil level indicator tube, if necessary. NOT necessary

11. Remove the lower exhaust manifold heat shield insulator from the oil level indicator and exhaust gasket, if necessary. NOT necessary

12. Remove the catalytic converter nuts. 13mm? socket. Maybe spray with lube before removing.

13. Raise and support the vehicle.

14. Disconnect the oxygen sensor electrical connector. (lower the vehicle back down and do thid from the top - remember those connectors attached to the small bracket?)

15. After you raise the vehicle, you may want to consider removing the left front tire/wheel, and some of the inner fender. This will give you a little better view into the starter area.

16. From underneath, Disconnect the muffler pipe from the left and the right side catalytic converters. yes, both sides; 4x nuts. 13mm deep socket. I have a torch to heat up the nuts.... it was very necessary to avoid snapping the rusty studs.

17. Carefully remove the catalytic converter with the seal/heat shield and oxygen sensor from the exhaust manifold.

18. Remove the oxygen sensor from the catalytic converter. NO. Do not remove the O2 sensor.

19. But, you should remove the Knock Sensor. It's right between the dip stick tube and the starter. You don't have to remove the connector, just remove the one bolt (13mm? socket).

20. The heat shield that was loosened from the top, has a lower piece that is clipped to the top shield in 3 places. You may have to remove it to access the starter. Pay attention to where it is clipped and how it is bent. It is very soft.

21. Remove the starter solenoid electrical connector from the starter. It's hard to see and hard to get to, but you depress the clip to release it. You may want to wait until the starter is actually lose.

22. You did remove the negative cable from the battery? Yes?

23. Before removing the battery cable, pay close attention to the routing of the wire past the exhaust and to the back of the engine.

24. Remove the starter terminal nut (1) and the battery positive cable (2) from the starter. ...you DID disconnect the negative cable from the battery? Yes?

25. Remove the 2x starter motor bolts.

26. Remove the starter motor.

The starter comes out the bottom.

Check the new starter. There is probably a new battery cable nut already on the solenoid that you have to remove before installing.

Next, some scenic pictures of my starter and car.....

----------

Never mind. It's too much trouble to resize, rotate, crop, and upload any pictures. And it's too freaking late.

----------

pictures at:
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ZeeVert/library/2009%20CTS4/Starter%20replace%202009%20CTS?sort=3&page=1

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.