2008 CTS, 3.6DI, manual, 1 owner, 19k - good buy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 99flhr
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS, 3.6DI, manual, 1 owner, 19k - good buy? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all, I'm looking at a 2008 CTS with the 3.6DI engine, performance package and six speed manual. Car has ...
    wbyf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Unhappy 2008 CTS, 3.6DI, manual, 1 owner, 19k - good buy?

Hello all,

I'm looking at a 2008 CTS with the 3.6DI engine, performance package and six speed manual. Car has about 22k miles and is Black Cherry. It is being sold by a local Cadillac dealer. Car is very clean overall, 1 owner and according to the CarFax got pretty consistent mileage so it seems it was more of a weekend/leisure car.

I went to look at it, went for a test drive and all. No odd noises, started right up, idled nicely etc. No obvious leaks under the hood, actually looked surprisingly clean for a 6 year old car. Clutch and transmission both felt very smooth. Dealer was more than happy to fire it up and go for a test drive. Engine was more than ready to climb through the revs and felt more than capable pushing the 4500 lbs of Cadillac around. Under 2,500 RPM (which, with the 6 speed, was pretty much always), it was very quiet and composed but with just a little more of a push on the pedal, it certainly didn't hesitate and the power was accompanied by a very satisfying growl from the engine.

I've read quite a bit, mostly about the timing chain problems and oil consumption with the V6/DI engines. I checked on GM's recall site and the only open recall listed is for the ignition (it is a standard turn key) so it seems that the car has at least had the re-tune in effect for the timing chains. Is there any way to tell about whether any timing chain service has been performed? Is there any way to know about the oil consumption (as in, is it outside acceptable range) without simply purchasing the car, driving it and keeping an eye on the oil level?

The car wouldn't be my main form of transportation. I would imagine it would probably see 6-7k miles a year, most of which would be short (15-20 minute) highway trips and the rest being either short, easy trips to the store, etc or otherwise more "spirited" driving when the occasion arises ("spirited" not meaning redline runs but just rides on nice, curvy back roads).

I really like the car. It was a very pleasant ride, the seats were comfortable and it just felt nice to sit in, very quiet and composed. Everything seemed to work and like I said, there were no obvious problems/odd noises or anything of that sort. The car sat very flat through corners and seemed very ready to just keep going. The color is nice and I've never seen another CTS around here in seemingly any color but black or white. This is one of about 6 or 7 manual CTS in the area (within 50mi of me), at least 2 of which are CTS-V models, 3-4 years older with at least double the mileage. This is the only manual, 3.6DI CTS within 50 miles that I can find, I just don't want to "settle" on the first car I've really looked at and end up regretting it because I have (seemingly) such specific requirements (manual being the biggest one and minimum of the 3.6 V6 being the next biggest).

I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any reason I SHOULDN'T buy the car? I already know about the timing chains and oil consumption and the other miscellaneous little interior quality issues.. GM has issued an "extended" 10year/120k mile warranty for "premature timing chain and with a mere 22k miles, I don't think I can go wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BreakingThrough is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Re: 2008 CTS, 3.6DI, manual, 1 owner, 19k - good buy?

A second-gen CTS with a stick is a rare bird indeed. Especially in Black Cherry, which is a beautiful color on our CTS's.

I've owned my '08 since summer of 2011, so just about three years now.

You can ask the dealer to look at the service history of the vehicle to see if it's had timing chain service performed. My guess is that it has indeed had the timing chain "recall" performed, as that was an official recall. And "retune" here meant tweaking the software to shorten intervals between oil changes. There were no mechanical alterations to the chains as part of the recall.

I just had a good friend in town from the East Coast and we spent a LOT of time in my CTS traversing all of Los Angeles, including a trek over the hill on windy Laurel Canyon and an extended run up to the Valencia area (I am a roller coaster geek in addition to a car geek -- Six Flags Magic Mountain FTW!), and so much CTS time reminded me of why I bought it and why I like it. Supremely comfortable in the 80+ degree heat with the ventilated seats, large enough to accommodate my friend and our stuff comfortably (he's 6'5"), stylish enough to hang with the best in LA and its various restaurant valets. It kind of made me fall in love with the car again. It's not a sports car but it's perfect for my needs. Even my friend, who is a HUGE car snob (he's closing on a Maserati Ghibli today, in fact), couldn't find anything to nitpick about it, and I'm sure he tried.

For your needs, I can't find any reasons to recommend against the car. Sounds like a nice diamond in the rough with such low miles and the stick.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

It`s hard to find a stick, very few sold. Therefore it`s hard to SELL a stick, beat that dealer with a stick until he lowers the price.
    tinman likes this.

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

Two things going for you that are negative for some, but a positive for you.
    One, as mentioned, stick hard to sell, few want it. But you do, so great.
    Two, Black Cherry is a hard sell. I've seen just a few on lots over the years and the dealers can't move them. I personally like the black cherry.
    Ask how long it's been on the lot. if it's been there for months then they are having problems selling it. So you will have lots of room to negotiate.
    As far as you being able to unload it when you're done with it, be aware of those same two items. But at 19K if you want to unload it in 3 years who cares, you'll get 5K - 8K or so anyway. Fun car though, so get a deal and go have fun.

I don't know how long it has actually been on the lot but I'm not particularly worried about having to unload the car, I'm too short-sighted to look that far into the future haha. I'm likely going to let it sit until Wednesday since I can't make it back to the dealer tomorrow anyways. They have already reduced the price once since I've been watching it (about 2-3 weeks or so?) from $19,999 to $18,999, I will definitely see if I can beat it down a little further though. They have this 3.6 and an 04 CTS-V that are manuals (the CTS-V also dropped in price at the same time), the rest of their lot is all automatic. Like was mentioned, the things "against" the car really work in my favor since I'm looking for such an oddball and really like the Black Cherry color.

I don't see why Cadillac didn't sell more manuals especially considering the manual transmission was standard equipment from what I've read and they're an outright joy to drive. The shifter feels delightful, very definite gear feedback and clean, crisp shifts.. Maybe I'm just weird to want a two ton luxury barge with a small six and a manual transmission.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Is this it? http://northridgechevy.com/cars/2008...ac+CTS+1173786 ?
    It's been listed for sale for 48 days.
    Price has dropped by $2,505
    $19,990 Jul 1
    $17,986 Jul 23
    $17,485 Today

Latest on the website:
    2008 Cadillac CTS
    SELLING PRICE: $16,974

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by wbyf View Post

("spirited" not meaning redline runs but just rides on nice, curvy back roads)

Huh? Spirited means redlining! Have some fun!

I really like the car.

You have answered your own question (below). Get it!

I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any reason I SHOULDN'T buy the car?

NO! It's a unique car, you love it, and you're gonna have a blast with it. No brainer, and welcome to the Forum!
    The very first thing you have to do is post pics. We love it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    The very first thing you have to do is post pics. We love it.
    Well, it seems I'm headed back out to the dealership to get the trade in appraised and settling the financials.. All goes well (and Imanage to stop driving around long enough haha) I'll be taking some pictures later. Probably get her detailed when I go for inspection.. then take some more pictures of course. Probably end up ordering a catch can and phenolic spacer, cleaning the intake valves etc seeing as 22k is enough to get some buildup but hopefully not enough to cause any longterm issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    Is this it? http://northridgechevy.com/cars/2008...ac+CTS+1173786 ?
    It's been listed for sale for 48 days.
    Price has dropped by $2,505
    $19,990 Jul 1
    $17,986 Jul 23
    $17,485 Today

Latest on the website:
    2008 Cadillac CTS
    SELLING PRICE: $16,974
    No, that is a very similar car but on the wrong coast. Thanks anyways. According to CarFax it has been for sale since around mid-July.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

If after reading all the posts concerning the 08 CTS series and associated problems. And you still think its a good buy, have at it.....Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.