Joliet, IL - 7/25/14 - BMW 320i vs CTS Coupe Premium - Route 66 Speedway - 7:45-8pm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Joliet, IL - 7/25/14 - BMW 320i vs CTS Coupe Premium - Route 66 Speedway - 7:45-8pm in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello Everyone, I will be racing my buddy (hopefully, weather permitting, and if they let us pair up) on Friday ...
    ixxneoxxi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Joliet, IL - 7/25/14 - BMW 320i vs CTS Coupe Premium - Route 66 Speedway - 7:45-8pm

Hello Everyone,

I will be racing my buddy (hopefully, weather permitting, and if they let us pair up) on Friday July 25th in Joliet at the speedway there. This will be the first time doing a drag race in my Caddy. Does anyone have any advice on what settings to place my car into and how to achieve the best launch? From past post this is what I have gathered.

-Competitive driving mode, shift on your own before redline.

-With tc off you have the potential to do the best times with enough practice at launching with minimal wheelspin. If you don't practice, and you go into it, you could potentially spin the rear wheels enough to where you would've had a better time leaving the TC on and dealing with the intervention (computer limiting throttle when it detects wheelspin) from the TC.

My question is, when i place my foot on the gas and the brake, at what point at the rpm's should I let go of the brake to get the most power and take off? Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated! I will be practicing today.

My car:
    CTS Coupe 2012
    3.6 L V 6-All Wheel Drive-6-speed Automatic
    Stock

Buddy's Car:
    BMW 320i Sedan 2014
    2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic
    Stock

Thank you in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Acdcpsp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Re: Joliet, IL - 7/25/14 - BMW 320i vs CTS Coupe Premium - Route 66 Speedway - 7:45-8

I'd hold it at 1500 rpm and then mash it down shifting around 6k. Try practice runs on an open flat straight road.

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix

Re: Joliet, IL - 7/25/14 - BMW 320i vs CTS Coupe Premium - Route 66 Speedway - 7:45-8

Quote Originally Posted by ixxneoxxi View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on what settings to place my car into and how to achieve the best launch? From past post this is what I have gathered.

-Competitive driving mode, shift on your own before redline.

-With tc off you have the potential to do the best times with enough practice at launching with minimal wheelspin. If you don't practice, and you go into it, you could potentially spin the rear wheels enough to where you would've had a better time leaving the TC on and dealing with the intervention (computer limiting throttle when it detects wheelspin) from the TC.

My question is, when i place my foot on the gas and the brake, at what point at the rpm's should I let go of the brake to get the most power and take off? Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated! I will be practicing today.
    Your car is AWD. Stage second light mash the gas all the way and on green let go off the break. The car is not powerful enough to get any considerable spin if any. Post your time slip if you can and good luck.

Thank you for all the advice! I am going to try and take video from inside of the car and have someone film the race as well. I will post everything.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Well?

illbethere1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 cts, 2011 AWD coupe cts

He lost.... Aint winning no race with AWD even in manual mode. Thats from experience.....

UPDATE Joliet, IL - 7/25/14 - BMW 320i vs CTS Coupe Premium - Route 66 Speedway

We raced twice. I lost the first one because I shifted down instead of up. For the second race I just left it in sports mode and let the car shift by itself. All traction was off. Video is below.

http://youtu.be/a4FlIBm6uhI

----------

Here are the results of the two races:

1st Race
    CTS BMW
    R/T: .693 .745
    60': 2.367 2.501
    330: 6.702 6.888
    1/8: 10.600 10.507
    MPH: 59.81 67.92
    1000: 14.186 13.602

ET: 17.335 16.196
    MPH: 70.78 87.06

BMW 1st: 1.0873

2nd Race
    CTS BMW
    R/T: .149 .197
    60': 2.454 2.349
    330: 6.789 6.635
    1/8: 10.233 10.156
    MPH: 71.12 69.91
    1000: 13.223 13.185

ET: 15.724 15.740
    MPH: 89.05 88.18

CTS 1st: .0641
    HurstGN, hauler, EVH5150 and 2 others like this.

illbethere1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 cts, 2011 AWD coupe cts

Should of had a buddy take video on the sidelines.... It appears like your racing yourself.

Anyhow, congrats on beating a pos Bayer Aspirin Motor .

[QUOTE=

Anyhow, congrats on beating a pos Bayer Aspirin Motor .[/QUOTE]

IMO the inline BMW six is far superior to any V-6 I have ever driven, period.

( yes I realize the O.P. raced a 4 cyl)

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Excellent video! Your coupe sounds pretty strong. Have you put an aftermarket exhaust on it?

Here is the video from the outside of the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvotcMCbOUw

----------

And the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUjmRpmffM

No aftermarket as you can tell on the outside videos compared to the other cars on the track we are quite as kittens LOL.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Great videos, thanks for sharing!

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix
    Thanks for posting! Your 60' time was pretty good the second time around, much faster than the car feels. You both fell asleep on green the first go. Wonder if the time would have been better if you had turned all electronics off???

The 15+ second trap time goes to reaffirm my notion that the non V is simply NOT a tuner car and should be left alone in the performance department.

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post

The 15+ second trap time goes to reaffirm my notion that the non V is simply NOT a tuner car and should be left alone in the performance department.
    It reaffirms my notion that when I see a member post what an absolute "BEAST" the 3.6 is , that I should continue to smile and scratch my head.

IIRC it was Tinman who said " It`s a six banger two ton car"

To the O.P.

Not to pick nits however, you lost the 1st race by 1.139 sec NOT 1.0873 seconds
    You won the 2nd race by .016 NOT .064
    Must be a new math vs old math thing or else I`m misreading your info.
    Hope you enjoyed your track time
    snafu likes this.

Yes I did it was fun. I am going to take my other car to the track soon. 2013 Jeep SRT8 and see the damage it can do and possibly race my friend one more time in the CTS but I want to add some performance to it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap mod that could give me a boost? Maybe something everyone says "No that won't do much"' vs "oh yes it does give you a boost!" Would be fun to prove one right over the other.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.