Noisy air conditioning / heater vents
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 928S
  • 1 Post By tinman
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Noisy air conditioning / heater vents in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Has anyone expereinced rattling air vents? 2 of the vents on my 2008 CTS sedan rattle with the fan on ...
    jakoch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Sedan

Noisy air conditioning / heater vents

Has anyone expereinced rattling air vents? 2 of the vents on my 2008 CTS sedan rattle with the fan on any speed above 2. Do they pop out from the front or back? I think if I can get them out I can quiet them down by applying a little dielectric grease on the moving parts. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciatated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

exhaust_freak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6l DI
    I got the noise, but no solution

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Re: Noisy air conditioning / heater vents

Which HVAC vent(s)?
    Just in case, here's a TSB for the L/R front center:

Technical Service Bulletin No. 08-08-49-014
    Date: September 10, 2008
    Subject: Rattle Type Noise Coming From Instrument Panel (IP) Center Air Outlet Deflector(s) (Add Mylar Washer)

Models: 2008 Cadillac CTS
    Condition: Some customers may comment on a rattle type noise coming from either instrument panel center air outlet deflector.
    Cause: This noise may be caused by the shut-off door rattling in the deflector housing.
    Correction: Add a mylar washer to the center air outlet deflectors using the procedure below.
    1. Remove the radio control assembly from the IP. Refer to the Radio Control Assembly Replacement procedure in SI.
    2. Unsnap the air deflector (1) from the radio control assembly.
    3. From the back side of the deflector (1), disengage the shut-off valve (2) from the deflector housing by prying the top edge (opposite side of shut off thumb wheel) of the door away from the deflector housing.
    4. Slide a Mylar washer, GM P/N 15911310, (3) over the end of the shut-off valve's locating pin (4).
    5. Snap the shut-off valve (2) back to the original position with the Mylar washer (3) in place.
    6. Reinstall the air outlet deflector into the radio control assembly.
    7. Repeat Steps 2 through 6 for the other center air outlet deflector.
    8. Reinstall the radio control assembly. Refer to the Radio Control Assembly Replacement procedure in SI.

FP Number 11561653, Description Clip 14.630
    FP Number 15911310 , Description Washer 12.809
    99flhr likes this.

avi1777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts

put it on windshield function for 5 seconds then put it back,it will go away.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

that sounds easier than removing the radio

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Quote Originally Posted by avi1777 View Post
    put it on windshield function for 5 seconds then put it back,it will go away.
    I just picked-up this 2008 Premium for the ole ball-and-chain and that's one of her complaints, among many others and I'm not totally familiar with the controls available in this thing. Are you saying to turn on the defroster for 5 seconds (obviously, long enough for the actuators to move to another position) then turn it off?... or is there another position/button/knob to twist/push/dial?

Thanks

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    I just picked-up this 2008 Premium for the ole ball-and-chain and that's one of her complaints, among many others and I'm not totally familiar with the controls available in this thing. Are you saying to turn on the defroster for 5 seconds (obviously, long enough for the actuators to move to another position) then turn it off?... or is there another position/button/knob to twist/push/dial?

Thanks
    I would do exactly what you wrote...put it on defrost and let the blend doors move into position.
    Neutrocuted likes this.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Yeah...switch to defrost mode for 5 seconds and rattle is gone for 5 seconds, switch for 10 seconds and rattle is gone for 10 seconds, if you're lucky, and so on and so forth...

At least that was my experience until the TSB permanent fix (above) was performed on my '08 CTS. Before, with climate control set to auto mode, front center vents rattled only in hot weather >90°F, and then only for a few minutes after startup until AC cooled the ductwork, deflector, fittings; but nothing could say "POS" more clearly than that damn rattle...lol

So good luck and best wishes to all early-2nd-gen CTS owners still dealing with this inexplicable factory defect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.