GM's latest RECALL includes CTS... - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, GM's latest RECALL includes CTS... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by sliderule01 As a friend of mine said - it is AIP (Accountant Induced Failure). I really think ...
    next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: GM's latest RECALL includes CTS...

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule01 View Post
    As a friend of mine said - it is AIP (Accountant Induced Failure). I really think the date of the death of Western Civilization occurred was when the first computer spreadsheet was invented. It gave the Accountants way to much control.
    OMG I hope you don't really believe that do you?

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

tinman, I guess I hadn't considered your example, in my scenario about a stolen car,
    we're not concerned with the well being of the crook. thanks, douglas

techtype is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Luxury Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Rome View Post
    a new fob would be great but I don't think that's the issue. the issue is the ignition switch,
    the part on the steering column you put the key in.
    Well, I suspect most of us knew by now that the central issue was the ignition switch. As to the fob, the Cadillac fob is somewhat unusual in size, weight and shape. (Did you ever notice that most fobs are rounded even if they have a rectangular shape) It's very flat bottom and size allows it to become wedged between the knee and the key for some drivers (depending on height, seat and steering column adjustments). This has been discussed on this and other internet sites. When it becomes wedged, the knee is able to force the key to the off position. This is difficult to fix by just changing the ignition switch. This may be why the Caddy recall might include the key fobs as indicated in this thread.

futbolfever is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

just called provided my vin # on an 08 cadillac cts ...keyed ignition and it did not affect my model ....so I guess it is certain type - I believe my car is the base model

Quote Originally Posted by futbolfever View Post
    just called provided my vin # on an 08 cadillac cts ...keyed ignition and it did not affect my model ....so I guess it is certain type - I believe my car is the base model
    Add up the company wide panic, the huge volume of vins to be entered, and the holiday, along with the fact that no one here has reported their vin was found yet (unless I missed it).

Acdcpsp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

The problem is the ignition cylinder is missing a spring and when people have an good amount of weight on their key ring and hit a bump or something the weight of the keys would turn the lock to the off position shutting down the engine, possibly locking the steering wheel and since the breaks are vacuum powered you lose breaks and that's how the accidents are happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Rome View Post
    a new fob would be great but I don't think that's the issue. the issue is the ignition switch,
    the part on the steering column you put the key in. too much weight hanging on it may cause
    it to disengage and shut the engine off. I can't see how that could happen, but supposedly a few
    people have gotten into predicaments that they could not control the car with the engine shut
    down. I'm pretty sure I could control the car and come to a safe stop if the engine suddenly
    shuts down. But isn't that how they recover stolen cars, they shut the engine down?
    thanks, douglas

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

[QUOTE=Douglas Rome;. But isn't that how they recover stolen cars, they shut the engine down?[/QUOTE]

Not that I`m aware of...

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by techtype View Post
    Well, I suspect most of us knew by now that the central issue was the ignition switch. As to the fob, the Cadillac fob is somewhat unusual in size, weight and shape. (Did you ever notice that most fobs are rounded even if they have a rectangular shape) It's very flat bottom and size allows it to become wedged between the knee and the key for some drivers (depending on height, seat and steering column adjustments). This has been discussed on this and other internet sites. When it becomes wedged, the knee is able to force the key to the off position. This is difficult to fix by just changing the ignition switch. This may be why the Caddy recall might include the key fobs as indicated in this thread.
    Well if they replace the FOB with the typical cheap rounded one, I'll keep mine as is.

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Well if they replace the FOB with the typical cheap rounded one, I'll keep mine as is.
    I have the fantasy that updated electronics in a new fob would give greater range for remote start. Just a dream!

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

This sums it up best

The solution won't be a new ignition switch at all, it will be sending additional detachable key rings to owners (allowing drivers to disconnect their car key from the rest of their key chain to reduce strain on the system) and/or inserts designed to fit within the ignition key head itself to alter the keyring attachment loop from a slot to a hole (because the slot can cause the weight of the keychain to hang asymmetrically, thereby increasing the amount of torque on the key and as a result, the switch.

Other helpful hints:
    Use a single key until you get the fix
    remove EVERYTHING ( fob, other 100 keys, bowling ball, reward cards, etc ) from your key ring
    use this https://www.keyringapp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
    This sums it up best

The solution won't be a new ignition switch at all, it will be sending additional detachable key rings to owners (allowing drivers to disconnect their car key from the rest of their key chain to reduce strain on the system) and/or inserts designed to fit within the ignition key head itself to alter the keyring attachment loop from a slot to a hole (because the slot can cause the weight of the keychain to hang asymmetrically, thereby increasing the amount of torque on the key and as a result, the switch.

Here is a more complete version of your quote:

A second group of vehicles* are being recalled for a slightly different ignition key rotation issue (more details below). 616,179 of these vehicles are in North America, with 554,328 found in the United States.
    2004-2006 Cadillac SRX
    2003-2013 Cadillac CTS
    2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe and CTS Wagon

The Cadillac models in the second grouping* have been found to be subject to unintended key rotation because of accidental bumping of one's key fobs (a condition similar to the June 13 Camaro recall), whereas the other, larger group of older vehicles is not subject to bumping. In either case, this is not like the infamous Chevy Cobalt ignition switch issue – the switch in these vehicles meet GM specifications, the company says the problem is with the key design itself.

Company spokesperson Alan Adler, tells Autoblog that GM "changed the [key] design in late December of 2010," so vehicles built after that time are not affected by the issue. (Inserted by techtype - I believe that this sentence is strictly referring to the key slot, owners of later models will still get the detachable key ring to address the fob issue - end insert)

GM is aware of seven crashes, eight injuries and three fatalities related to these issues. "The fatal crashes occurred in older model fullsize sedans being recalled for inadvertent ignition key rotation. There is no conclusive evidence that the defect condition caused those crashes," GM said in a press release.

Additional info from the press release:

Until the ignition recall repairs have been performed, it is very important that customers remove all items from their key ring, leaving only the vehicle key, and always use their seat belts. The key fob, if present, should also be removed from the key ring.

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

"The solution won't be a new ignition switch at all, it will be sending additional detachable key rings to owners (allowing drivers to disconnect their car key from the rest of their key chain to reduce strain on the system)"

I am glad GM understands the above. Can't the key be detached from the current FOB we already have for our CTS?

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

never mind, message deleted.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Interesting that two weeks later my vehicle is still not listed on the GM Recall website when I type in my VIN.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, Linda took all the junk off her
    key ring. I feel pretty safe. thanks, douglas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.