GM's latest RECALL includes CTS... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, GM's latest RECALL includes CTS... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; This gets confusing. Is the FOB what is on the same ring as my key [that is inserted into ignition] ...
    JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

Re: GM's latest RECALL includes CTS...

This gets confusing. Is the FOB what is on the same ring as my key [that is inserted into ignition] and operates the door locks, trunk and emergency horn?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

[QUOTE=The_Judge;12759953]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    ...it is important that you use the ignition key and nothing else, including the key fob...."

SAY WHAT? If you have a FOB, there is no ignition key to use! What are you talking about?
    Understand, folks, that some of us poor folks actually - get this - we actually have to stick a key into an ignition switch!!! Oh, the horror, I know, but that's what we have to do to get our cars started. This FOB thingy, that is similar to what you rich folks have that opens your doors and automatically starts your cars for you because it pairs up with another module that can go wrong and will then be recalled. So, what we poor folks do is we keep our "FOB thingy" attached via a "key ring" to our "ignition key" so we can use the FOB to open our car doors with the press of a button and have it conveniently available.

You will be quizzed later.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

...it is important that you use the ignition key and nothing else, including the key fob...."

SAY WHAT? If you have a FOB, there is no ignition key to use! What are you talking about?
    It shows the quality of responses from Cadillac Customer Services

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

The last thing I will ever do is to put words in Cadillac's mouth. I believe their response in post #14 pertains to having the fob hang from the ignition key.

And I apologize for my smart response in my post #17. I won't erase it as I have already said it. I mis-read what Judge implied. After rereading the Cadillac Customer Service comments I understand what Judge wrote now. My apologies to you, Judge.

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

"Whatchu talkin bout Willis...!"
    hauler likes this.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Cadillac Service was not incorrect in using the word fob in its description; a fob can be anything attached to a key via a chain (but in this case, it is the remote control for open/lock/trunk); if you need a key to start your car then the fob only does the aforementioned functions. If your fob also starts your car (via proximity identification) then the notice is moot (to your application). I also feel that they are being over-cautious in telling you to only use your key (sans fob) but I think that they are under the microscope (at GM) and have to err on the side of caution; I would though, not have any excess key accessories or additional keys on the chain.
    tinman likes this.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    I agree they are over couscous but hen again I never put anything on the key/fob except my small home key. I never understood why people put so much crap on their key chains. For me it foes not make any sense. But they just me.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Well, I am at an impasse, do I keep this car or get rid of it? Let me say why, first, my concerns about the drivetrain. It appears that the transmission and rear differentials are not the best.... At least on the AWD models..... And while most of the problems seem to be related to the 2008 model, I am not sure if improvements/corrections were made on the later model years... Second, the problem with the water leaks. Again, it looks like a 2008 issue, but not sure if the corrections were ever made. Sure, I have an extended GM warranty, but at this point, what is it worth? To be fair, it is a nice designed car, better than most of its equivalents. However, that does not make up for parts quality or build quality.... I wish someone would say, that by 2013, the problem areas were resolved.... Sadly, I don't think that is the case......

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

=tinman;12759289]Google "Pinto".[/QUOTE]

Also google "pinto myth"

halister is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Mine has a key and no recall yet on the GM site.

leadtrumpetman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 3.6
    Supposedly we'll be getting new ignition lock cylinders, new keys and new fobs as well. I have an 09 CTS and I work at a dealer. Fix will take time though, they need to make 8 million of them. Meanwhile, don't have a bulky keychain, that's the problem

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Welcome, leadtrumpetman...great name, btw...your "inside info" is appreciated...looking forward to any updates...thanks.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    Well, I am at an impasse, do I keep this car or get rid of it? Let me say why, first, my concerns about the drivetrain. It appears that the transmission and rear differentials are not the best.... At least on the AWD models..... And while most of the problems seem to be related to the 2008 model, I am not sure if improvements/corrections were made on the later model years... Second, the problem with the water leaks. Again, it looks like a 2008 issue, but not sure if the corrections were ever made. Sure, I have an extended GM warranty, but at this point, what is it worth? To be fair, it is a nice designed car, better than most of its equivalents. However, that does not make up for parts quality or build quality.... I wish someone would say, that by 2013, the problem areas were resolved.... Sadly, I don't think that is the case......
    The only mechanical problem my 2013 has had is alignment. The dealer couldn't get it right, so I had the local Goodyear store align it properly.

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by hauler
    The dealer couldn't get it right, so I had the local Goodyear store align it properly.
    Haha, fail!
    hauler likes this.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

It has been public knowledge for about 15-20 years (although not necessarily "common" knowledge) not to hang too much on your keychain. I will say, however, that ever since I started driving keys with keyless ignition, I put as much or as little on there as I want BECAUSE it is not going to put into my ignition. Thus, my initial question why would this recall apply to those vehicles that have key fobs AND do not have to physically put a key into the ignition?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.